Set of Four Charles Hollis Jones Lucite Dining Chairs Made 1970s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 42.13 in (107 cm)Width: 19.69 in (50 cm)Depth: 19.69 in (50 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 4
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Structurally sound with light patina in keeping with age and use.
- Seller Location:High Wycombe, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: KF we ship 1stDibs: LU8232233969862
Charles Hollis Jones
The now omnipresent design use of acrylic and Lucite owes much of its enduring popularity to seasoned creative Charles Hollis Jones. Nicknamed “Mr. Lucite,” the California-based furniture designer and artist made his reputation — and contributed to a lasting legacy for a material one might not immediately consider highbrow — with chairs, tables and other furnishings in the substance scientifically known as polymethyl methacrylate. But while the connecting thread through Jones’s body of work is the presence of translucent materials, his designs are anything but one-note.
The son of an Indiana carpenter, Jones has always been fascinated with structure and reinventing expected ones in new ways. He began working with furniture manufacturers while still a teenager and came to prominence in the 1960s and ’70s, researching and experimenting with techniques to shape acrylic into unconventional forms. “If I design a T-A-B-L-E without thinking of the name, then I can pretend I’ve never seen one,” he told PIN-UP magazine. His design combinations run the gamut from Lucite, brass and glass on elegant dining tables to more unusual applications of Lucite as legs for upholstered sofas and frames for Tibetan fur chairs.
Jones’s work is as varied as his client list, which has included Frank Sinatra, Sylvester Stallone and the Kardashians. For Tennessee Williams, he created a writing chair called the Wisteria chair. Jones also collaborated several times with modernist architect John Lautner, designing furniture that seemed to disappear into its surroundings.
He resides in Los Angeles, where he still designs today.
Find a range of new and vintage Charles Hollis Jones furniture on 1stdibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: High Wycombe, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Pair of Milo Baughman Chromed Steel and Cane Dining Chairs, 1970sBy Milo BaughmanLocated in High Wycombe, GBA Pair of Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Chromed Steel And Rattan Dining Chairs On Sledge Feet Made In USA 1970s The chair seats are upholstered in red fabric with piped edging. ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Original Labelled Arne Jacobsen for Fritz Hansen Model 3103 "Hammer Chair" 1965By Arne Jacobsen, Fritz HansenLocated in High Wycombe, GBOriginal Arne Jacobsen for Fritz Hansen Model 3103 Plywood "Hammer Chair" 1965 These chairs were originally designed 1955, these were manufactured in Ma...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Grey Empire Dining Chair Finished With An Ebonised Frame & Damask UpholsteryLocated in High Wycombe, GBGrey Empire Dining Chair Finished With An Ebonised Frame & Damask Upholstery & Red Velour Piping. Quality designed chairs, elegant but robust with rich upholstery. Seven Chairs in ...Category
Late 20th Century British Empire Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Damask, Silk, Velvet
- Pair of Leather Model 412 CAb Cassina Chairs Mario Bellini Provenance Cass HouseBy Cassina, Mario BelliniLocated in High Wycombe, GBA pair of leather model 412 CAB Cassina chairs designed by Mario Bellini Made in Italy 1977. Provenance: From the Estate Of Wilfred Cass please see article The Modern House Journal W...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Three Monochrome Stools by Anna Castelli Ferrieri for KartellBy Kartell, Anna Castelli FerrieriLocated in High Wycombe, GBA Set of Three Monochrome Postmodern Stools by Anna Castelli Ferrieri for Kartell, Italy, 1980s Measures: Small Height: 58cm I Width: 41cm I Depth: 41cm Height to seat: 45cm L...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Post-Modern StoolsMaterials
- Pair Of Faux Bamboo Brass & Suede Folding Campaign Chairs By Galeries LafayetteLocated in High Wycombe, GBA Beautiful and Hand-Crafted Pair of Faux Bamboo, Heavy Brass & Suede Folding Colonial Campaign Chairs By Galeries Lafayette Of France 1950s Provenance, we had a matching folding table with a label featuring Galeries Lafayette, and these chairs were from the matching set. The Galeries Lafayette is an upmarket French department store chain, the biggest in Europe. Its flagship store is on Boulevard Haussmann in the 9th arrondissement of Paris but it now operates in a number of other locations in France and other countries. In 2019, Galeries Lafayette recorded earnings of over five billion euros. It is a part of the company Groupe Galeries Lafayette and has been a member of the International Association of department stores since 1960. In 1894, Théophile Bader and his cousin Alphonse Kahn opened a fashion store in a small haberdasher's shop at the corner of rue La Fayette and the Chaussée d'Antin, in Paris. In 1896, their company purchased the entire building at 1 rue La Fayette; in 1905 they acquired the buildings at 38, 40 and 42 boulevard Haussmann and 15 rue de la Chaussée d'Antin. Bader commissioned the architect Georges Chedanne and his pupil Ferdinand Chanut to design the store at the Haussmann location, where a glass and steel dome and Art Nouveau staircases...Category
Vintage 1950s French Campaign Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Charles Hollis Jones Lucite Dining Chairs, 1970sBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Donhead St Mary, WiltshireA set of four lucite and nickel legged dining chairs complete with original upholstery, designed by Charles Hollis Jones, 1970s. Additional Information: Material: Lucite, Nickel ...Category
20th Century ChairsMaterials
- 1970s Set of Four Lucite Dining Chairs, Charles Hollis Jones StyleBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Praha, CZ- newly upholstered in velvet fabric - good/very good condition with minor signs of use - heigh of seat 43 cm.Category
Vintage 1970s European Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Lucite and Brass Dining Chairs by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Palm Springs, CASet of four 1970’s ‘Waterfall’ dining chairs by renowned American designer Charles Hollis Jones. Newly recovered and the lucite has been professionally polished. Measurements: 23...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Lucite Dining Chairs by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in New York, NYSet of six waterfall dining chairs by Charles Hollis Jones. The chairs are upholstered in a beautiful bamboo patterned chenille fabric, three chairs are in a mustard tone color and t...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Lucite, Chenille, Upholstery
- Charles Hollis Jones High Back Lucite Upholstered Dining ChairsBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Cincinnati, OHA set of six high back Lucite dining chairs with four side chairs and two chairs having sculptural arms . The back forms the back leg structure and is detailed with chrome studs at t...Category
Mid-20th Century American Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of EIGHT Charles Hollis Jones Lucite Legged Dining Chairs, USA, 1970sBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Miami, FLSet of EIGHT Charles Hollis Jones designed Lucite and upholstered dining chairs, 1970s. Saturday Sale There are 8 chairs and not 14 like listed in the quantity. Price is for all 8...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery