Bruno Mathsson "Pernilla Lounge Chair" with Tufted Black Leather 1969 'Signed'
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bruno Mathsson "Pernilla Lounge Chair" with Tufted Black Leather 1969 'Signed'
- DimensionsHeight: 38 in (96.52 cm)Width: 35 in (88.9 cm)Depth: 35 in (88.9 cm)Seat Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1969
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Natural wear to leather. Some staining to straps which is consistent with age.
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: loungechair1021stDibs: LU783813439662
About the Designer
As the descendant of four generations of Swedish master cabinetmakers, Bruno Mathsson was born to design furniture. Mathsson was known as a methodical perfectionist who made usefulness the fundamental attribute of his works, yet he was also a ceaseless experimenter, who constantly searched for improvements in form, materials and methods of making.
Like the Finnish designer Alvar Aalto, Mathsson was one of the first Scandinavians to embrace undulating, biomorphic forms in furniture. His early pieces such as the Eva and Pernilla series of chairs incorporate dramatically flowing bent beechwood frames, making them some of the most instantly recognizable works of 20th-century design. Mathsson was also a pioneer of ergonomics — he is said to have based the contours of his chairs on the impression his body made when he sat in a snow bank — and used supple, accommodating woven webbing for seats. His concern for practicality is shown by pieces such as the Maria table. An elegant design with gate legs and hinged leaves, the table measures more than nine feet long when fully extended, but folds down to just nine inches in thickness.
From the mid-1940s through the 1950s, Mathsson focused on architecture, designing and building houses with insulated, triple-glazed window walls and heated floors — construction that flew in the face of traditional wood-clad Swedish residential design, and consequently met with some skepticism. He returned to furniture in the 1960s, employing an entirely new suite of materials: Stainless-steel framing and mesh seats feature in pieces like the Jetson chair; with the mathematician Piet Hein, Mathsson designed the Super-Elliptical table, which has a laminate top and four-part tubular steel legs that sprout like flower stems from a single base.
Bruno Mathsson’s stylistic flexibility as a designer, as you will see from the works on 1stDibs, make him a creator whose pieces meet all tastes and needs.
About the Manufacturer
Dux of Sweden
Today, Swedish manufacturer DUX’s most popular furniture lines — as well as the furnishings created by its first president, Folke Ohlsson — are synonymous with the work that vintage mid-century modern design obsessives love. Also important, the brand is known for some of the most commonplace means of furniture shipping and production in the modern era.
In Sweden, Studio Ljungs Industrier AB is the large family-owned parent company of Duxiana (in America, DUX). Initially a purveyor of bedding that is today celebrated for its ergonomically guided designs, Ljungs Industrier was founded by entrepreneur (and chocolate maker) Efraim Ljung in 1926. In 1950, Folke Ohlsson, then leading Ljungs Industrier’s design team, decamped to the States to explore how he could expand DUX’s business, which at that point included a wide range of furniture. Ohlsson established a DUX office not long after he arrived in California, first in San Francisco and later in Burlingame.
On the West Coast, the booming postwar American market was eager to embrace DUX’s affordable and practical bedroom furnishings, tables, armchairs and other seating. Characterized by sleek walnut and teak frames and low-slung silhouettes, the brand’s designs were emblematic of a generation of Scandinavian modernism that had gained popularity owing to visionaries such as product designer and architect Greta Magnusson-Grossman, who arrived in California from Sweden a decade prior to Ohlsson, and Finn Juhl, who created a Danish modern line for Michigan’s Baker Furniture Company in 1951.
DUX frequently collaborated with top-tier furniture design talent — among them Bruno Mathsson, Edward Wormley and Alf Svensson, a chief designer in the Malmö, Sweden, office of Ljungs Industrier — expanding the brand’s portfolio and establishing credibility as a design source. Ohlsson’s own designs, such as his comfortable leather lounges and wool-upholstered reclining rocking chairs, continue to be among the brand’s most desirable — and most imitated — however.
In 1949, DUX put into practice an idea that Ohlsson patented for the so-called “knock-down,” or “KD,” chair, a term referencing easy, flat-pack assembly. It saved DUX space in warehouses and money on transportation and was a concept that would provide inspiration to hundreds of subsequent companies — most notably fellow Swedish brand IKEA.
- Pair of "Raphael Lounge Chairs" in Black Leather by Harvey ProbberBy Harvey ProbberLocated in New York, NYPair of "Raphael Lounge Chairs" model no. 4121 in black leather by Harvey Probber, American, circa 1982 (label on bottom reads "Harvey Probber".) Harvey Probber is synonymous with gr...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Leather, Foam, Wood
- Scoop Lounge Chair with Steel BaseLocated in New York, NYScoop lounge chair with steel base, American, 1970s.Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Edward Wormley Pair of Arm Chairs in Leather with Mahogany Bases 1960s 'Signed'By Edward WormleyLocated in New York, NYPair of arm chairs reupholstered in brown leather with dark mahogany bases by Edward Wormley for Dunbar, American 1960's (original Dunbar label on bottoms).Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Elegant Tufted Back Slipper Chairs, 1940sBy William Billy HainesLocated in New York, NYPair of elegant slipper chairs, tufted backs with gently curving legs, in the manner of Billy Haines, American, 1940's.Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Slipper ChairsMaterials
Upholstery, Foam, Wood
- Pair of Elegant Upholstered Lounge Chairs with Brass Sabots, 1950sBy Roberto and Mito BlockLocated in New York, NYPair of elegant lounge chairs, ebonized wrap-around frames with new upholstery and brass sabots, by Roberto and Mito Block, Mexico, 1950's. French-born brothers Roberto and Mito Bloc...Category
Vintage 1950s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Italian Pair of Elegant Lounge Chairs with Brass Legs 1950sLocated in New York, NYPair of elegant curved back lounge chairs with solid brass legs, Italian 1950's. These have been newly reupholstered by Lobel Modern in a beautiful blue/gray fabric. They are extre...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- 1969, Bruno Mathsson for Dux, Pernilla Lounge ChairBy Dux of Sweden, Bruno MathssonLocated in IJMuiden, NLPlease ask Casey Godrie Ibiza/Amsterdam for a competitive shipping quote. Beautiful wooden chair with special curved design. The chairs shows traces of heavy wear of the beige fabri...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Leather, Fabric, Upholstery, Wood
- Bruno Mathsson "Pernilla" Lounge Chair in Green LeatherBy Bruno MathssonLocated in Berkeley, CAOrigin: Denmark Designer: Bruno Mathsson Manufacturer: Dux Era: 1960s Materials: Leather, beech Measurements: 38.5? tall Condition: In excellent original condition.Category
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Modern "Pernilla" Lounge Chair in Cognac Leather by Bruno Mathsson for DUXBy Dux of Sweden, Bruno MathssonLocated in Houston, TXMid-Century Modern "Pernilla" lounge in Cognac leather by Bruno Mathsson for DUX (circa 1969-1979). Designed by Bruno Mathsson for DUX in 1969, the iconic bentwood frame Pernilla lou...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Leather, Linen, Beech, Birch
- Scandinavian Modern Pernilla Lounge Chair Ottoman Bruno Mathsson DUX 1970 SwedenBy Dux of Sweden, Bruno MathssonLocated in Vienna, ATScandinavian Modern vintage Pernilla lounge chair or easy chair with ottoman from bentwood and fabric in butter cream color by Bruno Mathsson for Dux, 1970s. Iconic lounge chair mod...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair Mid-Century Modern Pernilla Arm / Lounge Chairs by Bruno Mathsson, DenmarkBy Dux of Sweden, Bruno MathssonLocated in Stamford, CTPair Mid-Century Modern pernilla arm / lounge chairs by Bruno Mathsson, Denmark Pair of Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs by Bruno Mathsson. Pair of 'Pernilla' easy chairs by Dux,...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Unique Pernilla 3 Lounge Chair by Bruno Mathsson for Karl Mathsson, 1960sBy Karl Mathsson, Bruno MathssonLocated in Renens, CHThe Pernilla 3 recliner was designed in 1944 and is considered one of the most important works of the Swedish designer Bruno Mathsson. Mathsson’s career started in 1931 when he d...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Sheepskin, Linen, Beech