Lucite and Chrome Sling Chair by Charles Hollis Jones
About the Item
- Creator:Charles Hollis Jones (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 23.25 in (59.06 cm)Width: 24.75 in (62.87 cm)Depth: 29 in (73.66 cm)Seat Height: 14 in (35.56 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Palm Springs, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU938028555142
Charles Hollis Jones
The now omnipresent design use of acrylic and Lucite owes much of its enduring popularity to seasoned creative Charles Hollis Jones. Nicknamed “Mr. Lucite,” the California-based furniture designer and artist made his reputation — and contributed to a lasting legacy for a material one might not immediately consider highbrow — with chairs, tables and other furnishings in the substance scientifically known as polymethyl methacrylate. But while the connecting thread through Jones’s body of work is the presence of translucent materials, his designs are anything but one-note.
The son of an Indiana carpenter, Jones has always been fascinated with structure and reinventing expected ones in new ways. He began working with furniture manufacturers while still a teenager and came to prominence in the 1960s and ’70s, researching and experimenting with techniques to shape acrylic into unconventional forms. “If I design a T-A-B-L-E without thinking of the name, then I can pretend I’ve never seen one,” he told PIN-UP magazine. His design combinations run the gamut from Lucite, brass and glass on elegant dining tables to more unusual applications of Lucite as legs for upholstered sofas and frames for Tibetan fur chairs.
Jones’s work is as varied as his client list, which has included Frank Sinatra, Sylvester Stallone and the Kardashians. For Tennessee Williams, he created a writing chair called the Wisteria chair. Jones also collaborated several times with modernist architect John Lautner, designing furniture that seemed to disappear into its surroundings.
He resides in Los Angeles, where he still designs today.
Find a range of new and vintage Charles Hollis Jones furniture on 1stdibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Palm Springs, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Set of Four Lucite and Brass Dining Chairs by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Palm Springs, CASet of four 1970’s ‘Waterfall’ dining chairs by renowned American designer Charles Hollis Jones. Newly recovered and the lucite has been professionally polished. Measurements: 23...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Chrome and Lucite Magazine Holder by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Palm Springs, CAA glamorous polish chrome and clear Lucite magazine holder design by “Mr Lucite” Charles Hollis Jones in the 1970s. The Lucite shows minor wear consistent with age. Book not included...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Magazine Racks and StandsMaterials
- Lucite and Chrome Dining Table by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Palm Springs, CAGlamorous 1970’s polish chrome and lucite ‘Metric Line’ dining table by American renowned designer Charles Hollis Jones. Newly professionally polished. Measurements: 60” Diameter,...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Signed Lucite and Chrome Étagère by Charles Hollis JonesBy Paul Laszlo, Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Palm Springs, CAA glamorous clear acrylic and polish chrome with glass shelves étagère design in 1973 by renowned American design Charles Hollis Jones for Paul Laszlo. The étagère is in original con...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Polish Chrome and Lucite Vanity Mirror by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Palm Springs, CAGlamorous 1970’s Lucite and polish chrome vanity mirror by American renowned designer Charles Hollis Jones. New mirror with metallic light mocha brown suede back. Measurements: 1...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Table MirrorsMaterials
- Pair of Lucite and Chrome Candlestick by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Palm Springs, CAA glamorous pair of clear lucite and polish chrome candlestick by renowned American designer Charles Hollis Jones. Dim: 18.75 high 3.25” wide 3.25” deep.Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern CandlesticksMaterials
- Pair of Lucite and Chrome Lounge Chairs Hand Signed by Charles Hollis Jones 1984By Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Kansas City, MOExtremely rare pair of acrylic / Lucite and chromed steel lounge chairs with arms designed by Charles Hollis Jones, 1984. The Lucite is excellent: no chips and very few if any light scratches. One chair arm has a few light scratches. The leather seat pads are unused. Charles engraved his signature on both chairs with the design and production date 1984. These are substantial, heavy chairs. So striking that at a glance it's apparent these are by the master of acrylic furniture...Category
Vintage 1980s American Hollywood Regency Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of signed clear lucite and chrome sling chairs by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Kleinburg, ONThese chairs are stunning examples of the work of Charles Hollis Jones, a pioneer of Lucite and acrylic furniture. The chairs feature a sleek and minimalist design, with a chrome fra...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Lucite and Brass "Sling" Lounge Chairs by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Los Angeles, CACHJ 2001 Charles Hollis Jones sling chair, USA, 1969 Acrylic and solid brass frames Measures: 24.75 W x 27 D x 24.25 H inches Li...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Charles Hollis Jones Sling Chair, Signed and DatedBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Los Angeles, CAIntroducing the Charles Hollis Jones Sling Chair, Signed & Dated, USA 1969 – an extraordinary piece of mid-century design that effortl...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Charles Hollis Jones Sling Chair, Signed and DatedBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Los Angeles, CACharles Hollis Jones sling chair, USA, 1969 acrylic, chrome-plated steel Measures: 24.75 W x 27 D x 24.25 H inches Literature: Ch...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Lucite Dining Chairs by Charles Hollis JonesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in New York, NYSet of six waterfall dining chairs by Charles Hollis Jones. The chairs are upholstered in a beautiful bamboo patterned chenille fabric, three chairs are in a mustard tone color and t...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Lucite, Chenille, Upholstery
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery