Midcentury Lounge Chairs by Selig, a Pair
About the Item
- Creator:Selig (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 27 in (68.58 cm)Width: 29 in (73.66 cm)Depth: 29 in (73.66 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa Mid-20th Century
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Wear appropriate with age and use. minor scratches and dings to wooden base, both chairs have holes in their backside's upholstery, re-upholstery required/recommended.
- Seller Location:Brooklyn, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: 15298-3426KB1stDibs: LU921820102112
As an importer and producer, the Selig furniture company helped popularize timeless and elegant postwar designs in the United States.
Selig created Danish-inspired chairs, sofas and other furnishings for the home that were cutting-edge, contemporary and airy. The brand was also among the first to introduce Scandinavian and European modern styles to Americans in the 1950s and 60s. The company imported and manufactured furniture known for its extraordinary design and style using high-quality, enduring and seductive materials.
Selig was founded in 1931 by Mandell Selig and Samuel Wexler. The pair started the business during the challenging economic times of the Great Depression prior to World War II. By the 1960s, under the leadership of Wexler's son, Robert, Selig peaked with manufacturing factories in five American cities.
Selig’s importing business had a meaningful impact on Italian furniture manufacturers. Wexler, the junior, had a hand in advancing and growing the manufacturing sector of the country’s Udine region. Due to this contribution, the Italian government saw fit to knight Robert Wexler with the title of “Cavaliere.”
After nearly four decades of influencing seating and lounging preferences in the United States with sophisticated mid-century modern and Scandinavian modern furniture — including its own chrome rocking chairs and leather club chairs — Selig sold to Simmons, the mattress company, in 1970, thus dissolving. Much of what they produced and imported is still available despite no longer being manufactured, and many collectors seek original Selig furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Wall, NJ
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Midcentury Lounge Chairs by Steelcase, a PairBy SteelcaseLocated in Brooklyn, NYStylish Mid-Century Modern lounge chairs by Steelcase Inc. Sleek angular design reminiscent of Florence Knoll. Sturdy metal frames support spacious seating areas which are covered in...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Midcentury Widdicomb Lounge Chairs, a PairBy John WiddicombLocated in Brooklyn, NYStylish pair of midcentury Widdicomb lounge chairs. Spacious seating area with large semi-firm cushioning. Handsome angular wooden frames. A great addition to any modern interior's s...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Midcentury Italian Lounge ChairsLocated in Brooklyn, NYA stunning pair of vintage Italian modern lounge chairs that feature a sculpted teak frame with "Z" shaped sides. The sleek design ...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Faux Leather, Teak
- Pair of Mid-Century Style Swivel Lounge Chairs by SeligBy SeligLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis comfortable pair of swivel style lounge chairs by Selig make a stylish addition to any setting. Rounded back seats with sturdy metal bases, this unique matching pair is perfect ...Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Vintage Barcelona Lounge Chairs and Ottoman by SeligBy Selig, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis pair of Selig lounge chairs feature chrome and tufted vinyl lounge chairs feature comfortable proportions and stylish modern design. Paired with matching ottoman, uniquely shape...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Kofod Larsen for Selig Midcentury Walnut Lounge Chairs, PairBy Selig, Ib Kofod-LarsenLocated in Countryside, ILKofod Larsen for Selig midcentury walnut lounge chairs - pair Each chair measures: 29.75 wide x 28.5 deep x 28.75 high, with a seat height of 15 and arm height/chair clearance 22....Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Chrome Strap Barrel Lounge Chairs by Finn Andersen for SeligBy Selig, Finn AndersonLocated in New York, NYVery stylish pair of lounge chairs with exposed chrome strap frames and tweed upholstered seats and backs. Extremely well constructed, in very good original condition, upholstery sho...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
- Pair Kofod Larsen Selig Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs New UpholsteryBy Selig, Ib Kofod-LarsenLocated in Rockaway, NJPair Kofod Larsen Selig Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs NEW Basket Weave Upholstery MINT!Category
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Poul Jensen for Selig Mid-Century Walnut Z Lounge ChairBy Selig, Poul JensenLocated in Countryside, ILPoul Jensen for Selig mid-century walnut z lounge chair. This chair measures: 30 wide x 33 deep x 29 high, with a seat height of 16 and arm height/chair clearance 22.25 inches. ...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Dan Johnson for Selig Black Lacquered High-Back Lounge Chairs, 1950sBy Selig, Dan JohnsonLocated in San Francisco, CArare pair of 1950s black lacquered high-back upholstered lounge chairs by Dan Johnson for Selig. Features elegantly tapered opposing curvilinear lines with a distinctive yet timel...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Scandinavian Modern Nanna & Jorgen Ditzel ND83 Lounge Chair by Selig in BoucléBy Selig, Nanna Ditzel, Nanna and Jørgen DitzelLocated in BROOKLYN, NYThis is a magical Scandinavian Design ND83 lounge chair designed by Nanna and Jorgen Ditzel in 1952. This example was produced by Knud Willadsen and imported from Denmark by Selig. T...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern ChairsMaterials
Wood, Oak, Bouclé, Lacquer