- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pair Mid-Century Modern Pernilla Arm / Lounge Chairs by Bruno Mathsson, Denmark
- DimensionsHeight: 38.5 in (97.79 cm)Width: 27.25 in (69.22 cm)Depth: 35 in (88.9 cm)Seat Height: 15 in (38.1 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Wear consistent with age and use. Needs re-upholstery.
- Seller LocationStamford, CT
- Reference NumberSeller: 457-041stDibs: LU863229352672
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Stamford, CT
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
As the descendant of four generations of Swedish master cabinetmakers, Bruno Mathsson was born to design furniture. Mathsson was known as a methodical perfectionist who made usefulness the fundamental attribute of his works, yet he was also a ceaseless experimenter, who constantly searched for improvements in form, materials and methods of making.
Like the Finnish designer Alvar Aalto, Mathsson was one of the first Scandinavians to embrace undulating, biomorphic forms in furniture. His early pieces such as the Eva and Pernilla series of chairs incorporate dramatically flowing bent beechwood frames, making them some of the most instantly recognizable works of 20th-century design. Mathsson was also a pioneer of ergonomics — he is said to have based the contours of his chairs on the impression his body made when he sat in a snow bank — and used supple, accommodating woven webbing for seats. His concern for practicality is shown by pieces such as the Maria table. An elegant design with gate legs and hinged leaves, the table measures more than nine feet long when fully extended, but folds down to just nine inches in thickness.
From the mid-1940s through the 1950s, Mathsson focused on architecture, designing and building houses with insulated, triple-glazed window walls and heated floors — construction that flew in the face of traditional wood-clad Swedish residential design, and consequently met with some skepticism. He returned to furniture in the 1960s, employing an entirely new suite of materials: Stainless-steel framing and mesh seats feature in pieces like the Jetson chair; with the mathematician Piet Hein, Mathsson designed the Super-Elliptical table, which has a laminate top and four-part tubular steel legs that sprout like flower stems from a single base.
Bruno Mathsson’s stylistic flexibility as a designer, as you will see from the works on 1stDibs, make him a creator whose pieces meet all tastes and needs.
- Mid-Century Modern 'Mina' Lounge / Arm Chair, Bruno Mathsson, Sweden, 1950sBy Mathsson International, Bruno MathssonLocated in Stamford, CTMid-Century Modern 'Mina' lounge / arm chair stamped Bruno Mathsson, Sweden, 1950s Iconic Mid-Century seating in later sheepskin over textile upholstery. Manufactured and burn ma...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Arm / Lounge Chairs, Oak, Sheepskin, Sweden, 1970sBy Folke OhlssonLocated in Stamford, CTPair of Mid-Century Modern Arm/Lounge Chairs, Oak, New Wool Shearling/Sheepskin Modernist lounge chairs in a luxurious genuine white shearling fabric. The frames are made of solid ...Category
Late 20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Easy / Lounge / Arm Chairs, Sweden, 1960s, S. MakarydBy Finn JuhlLocated in Stamford, CTPair of Mid-Century Modern easy / lounge chairs, Sweden, 1960s. Unique organic form Swedish designer lounge or arm chairs from the 1960s for Swedish manufacturer Svegards Makary...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs, American, Walnut, 1960sLocated in Stamford, CTPair of Mid-Century Modern lounge chairs. These sleek and elegant arm or lounge chairs from the 1960s depict the Mid Century Modern era at its peak. Each having strong sturdy frames ...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Pierre Jeanneret Upholstered Bridge Chairs, Mid-Century ModernBy Pierre JeanneretLocated in Stamford, CTPair of Pierre Jeanneret Upholstered Bridge chairs, Mid-Century Modern, Model PJ-SI-42-A Chic pair of Jeanneret upholstered lounge chairs having a unique double profiled flat leg as...Category
Vintage 1960s Indian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Tub Chairs, Boucle, American Designer, 2000sBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Stamford, CTPair of Mid-Century Modern Tub Chairs, Boucle, American Designer, 2000s Mid-Century lounge chairs by an unkown American designer from the earlier 2000s. Newly upholstered in a th...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- 1969, Bruno Mathsson for Dux, Pernilla Lounge ChairBy Dux of Sweden, Bruno MathssonLocated in IJMuiden, NLPlease ask Casey Godrie Ibiza/Amsterdam for a competitive shipping quote. Beautiful wooden chair with special curved design. The chairs shows traces of heavy wear of the beige fabri...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Leather, Fabric, Upholstery, Wood
- Bruno Mathsson "Pernilla" Lounge Arm Chair in Beech Produced in Sweden, 1962By Bruno MathssonLocated in Stockholm, SERare "Pernilla" lounge arm chair in beech and canvas webbing designed by Bruno Mathsson and produced by Firma Karl Mathsson Sweden in 1962. In good vintage and original condition wit...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Bruno Mathsson Brown Leather Karin Lounge ChairsBy Dux of Sweden, Bruno MathssonLocated in Madrid, ESPair of armchairs, model 'Karin', designed by Bruno Mathsson 1969 and produced by Dux. Frame in chrome-plated metal, legs fitted with castors. Cushions and armrests newly upholstered...Category
Late 20th Century Swedish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Modern "Pernilla" Lounge Chair in Cognac Leather by Bruno Mathsson for DUXBy Dux of Sweden, Bruno MathssonLocated in Houston, TXMid-Century Modern "Pernilla" lounge in Cognac leather by Bruno Mathsson for DUX (circa 1969-1979). Designed by Bruno Mathsson for DUX in 1969, the iconic bentwood frame Pernilla lou...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Leather, Linen, Beech, Birch
- Scandinavian Chaise Longue "Pernilla 3" by Bruno MathssonBy Firma Karl Mathsson, Bruno MathssonLocated in Karlstad, SEGorgeous chaise lounge Pernilla 3, designed by Bruno Mathsson for Karl Andersson & Söner, Sweden. Condition: Great original condition with light patina. No damage to the webbing, an...Category
20th Century Swedish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Scandinavian Modern Pernilla Lounge Chair Ottoman Bruno Mathsson DUX 1970 SwedenBy Dux of Sweden, Bruno MathssonLocated in Vienna, ATScandinavian Modern vintage Pernilla lounge chair or easy chair with ottoman from bentwood and fabric in butter cream color by Bruno Mathsson for Dux, 1970s. Iconic lounge chair mod...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials