Set of Six Italian Neoclassical Klismos Medusa Head Side Chairs, circa 1810-1820Item Status:
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 11
Set of Six Italian Neoclassical Klismos Medusa Head Side Chairs, circa 1810-1820
$25,000Asking Priceper set
Set of six Italian (Lucca region) neoclassical carved klismos side chairs, circa 1810-1820. The splat of each chair features a stylized carved giltwood head of Medusa, each with slight variations of expression. The Medusa has been immortalized in many works of art since antiquity. In 1801 the Italian neoclassical sculptor Antonio Canova created the large marble sculpture Perseus with the Head of Medusa which is now in Museo Pio Clementino. This work may have inspired other Italian artists of the early 19th century to include the Medusa in their own creations. All were recently re-upholstered with black and gold fabric reminiscent of woven horse hair which might have been the original cushion covering material.
- DimensionsHeight: 33 in. (83.82 cm)Width: 19 in. (48.26 cm)Depth: 20.5 in. (52.07 cm)Seat Height: 19 in. (48.26 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 6
- StyleNeoclassical (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1810-1820
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationKensington, MD
- Reference Number1stDibs: 1503119776154
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity.Ships From: Kensington, MD
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in Kensington, MD
5 / 5
These expertly vetted sellers are highly rated and consistently exceed customer expectations.
Established in 1962
1stDibs seller since 2013
119 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 1 hour
More From This Seller
- Located in Kensington, MDThis arrestingly beautiful pair of gilt bronze depictions of Nike the goddess of victory seated on curule stools...Category
Antique Early 18th Century French Neoclassical Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- By Andrea Briosco (Riccio)Located in Kensington, MDJudith with the head of Holofernes, unsigned rectangular cast bronze plaquette, by Andrea Briosco, called Riccio...Category
Antique 17th Century Italian Renaissance Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- By GiambolognaLocated in Kensington, MDThis handsome and large solid-cast sculpture Mercury in flight is a copy of the most famous creation of Giambolo...Category
Antique Early 19th Century Italian Renaissance Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- By André DubreuilLocated in Kensington, MDThis attractive chromed version of the iconic spine chair by a follower of André Dubreuil was acquired in Miami ...Category
1990s Unknown Modern ChairsMaterials
- Located in Kensington, MDVery finely cast bronze copies of the Furietti Centaurs, one depicting a young centaur and the other depicting a...Category
Antique 19th Century Italian Neoclassical Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Located in Kensington, MDThis Italian bronze sculpture group of the Farnese Bull, after the antique, is handsomely modeled and detailed t...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century Italian Neoclassical Figurative SculpturesMaterials
You May Also Like
Set of Four Italian Neoclassical Chairs in Shallow Klismos Form
Located in Nashville, TN
In leopard or cheetah velvet. All four in hand carved and peg constructed Directoire frames and of slight Klismos form. Pretty well untouched (other than new leopard velvet seat cove...
Antique 1790s Italian Neoclassical Side Chairs
Set of Six English Chinoiserie Side Chairs. Circa 1820-30
Located in Charleston, SC
Set of six English Chinoiserie black lacquered side chairs with Oriental figures, cane seats, and terminating on turned floral splayed legs. Dealers please call for trade price.
Antique 19th Century British Side Chairs
Set of Six American Hepplewhite Mahogany Side Chairs, Massachusetts, Circa 1810
Located in Charleston, SC
Set of six American Hepplewhite mahogany side chairs with carved splat backs consisting of wheat sheaths and lower floral medallions, upholstered white muslin seat bottoms, cross s...
Antique 1810s American Hepplewhite Side Chairs
Set of Four Italian Mahogany Side Chairs, Circa 1820
Located in Charleston, SC
Set of four Italian mahogany side chairs with carved floral corner medallions, splat back with acanthus floral swags, and terminating on fluted bulbous legs. Chairs are upholstered ...
Antique 19th Century Italian Side Chairs
Six Antique Regency Klismos Dining Chairs Attributed to Gillows, circa 1810
By Gillows of Lancaster & London
Located in London, GB
A superb quality set of six 'Klismos' chairs, attributed to Gillows of Lancaster and London. England, circa 1810. Why we like them One of the best designs inspired by ancient Greek ...
Antique Early 19th Century British Regency Side Chairs
Set of Four Italian Neoclassic Walnut Side Chairs
Located in Essex, MA
Each with a rectangular back with open splat, drop in seats, raised on circular fluted tapered legs.
Antique Late 18th Century Italian Neoclassical Chairs
Set of Four Neoclassical Side Chairs
Located in New York, NY
A set of four neoclassical side chairs. Mahogany with patinated brass inlay, details and sabots.
Antique Mid-19th Century Russian Neoclassical Side Chairs
Set of Four Italian 1820s Neoclassical Dining Room Chairs with Carved Splats
Located in Atlanta, GA
A set of four Italian neoclassical walnut dining room side chairs from the early 19th century, with carved splat, fluted legs and new upholstery. Born in Italy during the first quart...
Antique Early 19th Century Italian Neoclassical Dining Room Chairs