Hollywood Regency White Lacquer & Brass Asian Modern Set of 4 Ming Bar Stools
View Similar Items
Hollywood Regency White Lacquer & Brass Asian Modern Set of 4 Ming Bar Stools
- Creator:Century Furniture (Manufacturer)
- Similar to:James Mont (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 41.63 in (105.75 cm)Width: 21.75 in (55.25 cm)Depth: 21.25 in (53.98 cm)Seat Height: 29.5 in (74.93 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 4
- Style:Hollywood Regency (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1980s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. In very nice condition, light use. Few minor scuffs.
- Seller Location:St. Louis, MO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU820229937562
About the Manufacturer
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- Pair of Hollywood Regency Tall Asian Brass Table Lamps, circa 1960sBy James MontLocated in St. Louis, MOPair of Hollywood Regency tall Asian brass lamps with cut-out design, black wood bases, nice quality. Excludes shades. Mid-Century Modern Flair, in t...Category
Vintage 1960s American Hollywood Regency Table LampsMaterials
- Vintage Set of Four Hollywood Regency Style AKKO Thick Lucite Swivel BarstoolsBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in St. Louis, MOVintage 1980s Hollywood Regency style set of four Acrylic 360° swivel bar stools with high backs, footrest and grey vinyl padded seats by AKKO INC. In very nice original condition, n...Category
Vintage 1980s American Hollywood Regency StoolsMaterials
- Pair of Hollywood Regency 1950s Asian Modern Pagoda Ivory Ceramic LampsBy James MontLocated in St. Louis, MOPair of Mid-Century Modern ivory / white glazed ceramic pagoda lamps with sculptural form. Shades not included. In very nice condition, free of any damage. In the style of Tony Duque...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Set of Three Midcentury Tractor Seat Bar Stools, RestoredBy Achille Castiglioni & Pio ManzuLocated in St. Louis, MOFully restored set of three vintage Mid-Century Modern tractor seat bar stools on a tripod base with original glides. They have been sandblaste...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Hollywood Regency Stepped Oval Faux Tortoise Shell Lacquer Table LampBy James MontLocated in St. Louis, MO1970s Hollywood Regency style lacquered table lamp in faux tortoise shell lacquer technique, shade not included. Minor touch up. Two sockets, pull chains, adjustable rod or shade hei...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Table LampsMaterials
- Hollywood Regency Italian Glazed Terracotta Camel Garden Seat or Plant StandLocated in St. Louis, MOCirca 1960s Hollywood Regency Italian camel garden seat in glazed terracotta with hand painted decoration. In fine condition, no visible damage, unmarked.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Hollywood Regency Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Pair brass Hollywood Regency bar stoolsBy Belgo ChromeLocated in Zandhoven, BEPAIR HOLLYWOOD REGENCY BARSTOOLS Pair vintage barstools Hollywood Regency style Belgo Chrom style 1970's Probably French Brass & steel base; the quality is amazing Square cushion...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Hollywood Regency StoolsMaterials
Brass, Steel$1,366 / set
- Set of 4 Chic Asian Style Black Lacquered Bar Stools 1980sLocated in New York, NYSet of Asian style bar stools in black lacquer with brass foot rails, American, 1980s. These are beautifully made and very chic.Category
Late 20th Century American Modern StoolsMaterials
- Diminutive Hollywood Regency Stool Bench of Brass and SteelLocated in New York, NYStylish metal bench, or stool, constructed of tubular brass, and metal mesh. The bench is in very good, original estate condition, clean and ready to use. Pure glam, this is the perf...Category
Mid-20th Century American Hollywood Regency BenchesMaterials
- 1970s Hollywood Regency Brass Counter Stools, a PairBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Burbank, CAPair of vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern cantilever stools for sale. These have been professionally reupholstered in new pink velvet and foam. They have an elegant design in the manner of Milo Baughman designs. They have a cantilever frame in brass and are really solid and well made. They have a Classic design and are very comfortable. The brass frames are in excellent vintage condition. The velvet we selected in vintage new old stock...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency StoolsMaterials
- Set of Modern Bar StoolsLocated in Brooklyn, NYSet of (5) sleek contemporary blue bar stools. These chairs feature contoured back rests, tall metal legs and foot rests. If you have a bar or high tab...Category
20th Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Metal$1,092 Sale Price / set30% Off