- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Maitland-Smith Federal Style Mahogany Lighted Breakfront Bookcase/China Cabinet
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 93 in. (236.22 cm)Width: 62 in. (157.48 cm)Depth: 19 in. (48.26 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca Late 20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Very good overall condition, with a few surface scratches and light wear commensurate with age and use.
- Seller LocationMilford, NH
- Reference NumberSeller: 88461stDibs: LU933929063212
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Milford, NH
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Diminutive Adam Style Breakfront Bookcase or China Cabinet by F&G Furniture CoLocated in Milford, NHA fine diminutive two section Adam style bookcase or china cabinet, its upper section featuring a foliate carved gilt crest, four urn form finials, and hand painted Classical frieze ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Adam Style CabinetsMaterials
Glass, Mahogany, Satinwood, Burl
- Large English Yew Wood Two Part Breakfront China Cabinet, Bookcase or ServerLocated in Milford, NHA fine English Yew Wood two part breakfront server, bookcase, or china cabinet with beautifully carved cornice surmounting two center glazed glass doors, opening to three interior gl...Category
20th Century English BookcasesMaterials
Glass, Yew, Burl
- Grand 19th Century English Two-Piece Mahogany Stepback Bookcase or China CabinetLocated in Milford, NHA beautiful large English two-piece mahogany step back bookcase, its upper case with a molded cornice over two glass doors, each with ten glazed glass panes, the top two panes arched...Category
Antique Early 19th Century English Georgian BookcasesMaterials
- Exceptional Custom Mahogany Breakfront Server Cabinet by Joseph Gerte, BostonBy Joseph GerteLocated in Milford, NHAn exceptional custom two part mahogany breakfront server cabinet or bookcase by Joseph Gerte of Boston, MA, its upper case featuring a crest with center swan’s neck broken arch pedi...Category
Mid-20th Century American CabinetsMaterials
Glass, Mahogany, Satinwood
- 19th Century Large Renaissance Style Walnut Cabinet Bookcase with Arched CenterLocated in Milford, NHAn exceptional Renaissance style large walnut cabinet with nicely carved cornice surmounting a center arch flanked by upper single cabinet doors featuring open decorative wrought iro...Category
Antique 19th Century Italian Renaissance CabinetsMaterials
- Huge Country Store Multi-Drawer Cabinet with Bookcase TopLocated in Milford, NHA great large two-piece country store cabinet with upper bookcase with nine adjustable shelves (with two additional in separate photo), over a lower case with nine dovetailed drawers...Category
Early 20th Century American CabinetsMaterials
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century American Chippendale Bookcases
Late 20th Century American Chippendale Bookcases
Antique 19th Century Chinese Chippendale Cabinets
Late 20th Century Georgian Bookcases
Vintage 1940s American Georgian Bookcases
Mid-20th Century American Georgian Bookcases
Late 20th Century American Georgian Bookcases
Antique Early 1900s European Georgian Bookcases
Late 20th Century American Georgian Cabinets
Antique 19th Century English Georgian Bookcases
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery