- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Lighted Tessellated Stone Vitrine Display Case by Maitland Smith, 1980s
- CreatorMaitland Smith (Maker)
- DimensionsHeight: 80.75 in. (205.11 cm)Width: 38 in. (96.52 cm)Depth: 15.5 in. (39.37 cm)
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1980s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationHamburg, PA
- Reference NumberSeller: 83521stDibs: LU926923423692
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Hamburg, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Maker
The eclectic furnishings of Maitland-Smith celebrate artisan skills in an age of machines. Hand-carved woodwork, inlaid marquetry, painted detailing, gilding and lost wax casting lend the company’s decorative accents an artistic flair. Focused on pieces that add a dynamic flourish to an interior by incorporating tactile materials like leather, seashell inlays and crushed eggshell, the manufacturer draws inspiration across centuries, from the curvy forms of the Louis XV period to the geometric angles of mid-century modernism.
Paul Maitland-Smith established the company in Hong Kong in 1979, after getting his start in London in the 1950s as an antique dealer who also sold reproduction furniture, something that would become a Maitland-Smith specialty. The manufacturer’s early reproductions of 17th- and 18th-century furniture included Chippendale dining chairs, and soon afterward, Maitland-Smith expanded into a range of decorative designs that often exuded a whimsical spirit, whether a coffee table shaped like a stack of books or a pair of decorative obelisks. Maitland-Smith’s signature sculptural table lamps in particular show off this playful sensibility, with one balancing a pen-shell shade on a monkey’s tail and another taking on the form of a miniature hot-air balloon.
Since its founding, Maitland-Smith’s sourcing has been based in Asia, and although Paul Maitland-Smith later sold the company that still bears his name and is now headquartered in North Carolina, the brand’s furnishings are still largely made in Cebu, Philippines.
Today, Maitland-Smith continues to innovate on its finely crafted offerings by collaborating with contemporary designers and studios such as Tony Duquette Studios (founded by set and costume designer Tony Duquette in 1941), Celerie Kemble and painter and textile designer Susan Hable Smith.
Find a wide range of Maitland-Smith furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
- Tessellated Horn Chest of Drawers by Maitland SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in Hamburg, PAA handsome tessellated horn chest of drawers by Maitland Smith. This beautiful chest has bracket feet and George III brass hardware. There are two small drawers over three larger dra...Category
20th Century Unknown George III Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Pair of Bone Night Stands by Enrique Garcel, 1980sBy Enrique GarcelLocated in Hamburg, PAA luxurious pair of nightstands or cabinets decorated in bone with unique tessellated bone and brass accents. This handsome pair of nightstands would make a statement or focal point ...Category
Vintage 1980s Colombian Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
Brass$12,000 / set
- Chinoiserie Secretary in the Manner of Maitland Smith, 1990sBy Maitland SmithLocated in Hamburg, PAA fabulous Asian-made decorated Chinoiserie Secretary with painted flowers and birds. A great statement piece to decorate a room around. Nice scale and style with plenty of storage, ...Category
Late 20th Century East Asian Chinoiserie SecretairesMaterials
- Minimalist Travertine Console Table by Stone International, 1980sBy Stone International, Roche BoboisLocated in Hamburg, PAA beautiful minimalist travertine marble and glass console table. This cantilever console table would look great in any Mid-Century Modern, Contemporary or Traditional interior. The ...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Minimalist Console TablesMaterials
- Tile Composite Mirror by Kreiss, 1980sBy KreissLocated in Hamburg, PAA grand-scale mirror made of tile composite by Kreiss Furniture. This stunning mirror would look great in any contemporary interior. This comes out of a beautifully decorated designe...Category
Vintage 1980s Philippine Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Sectional Sofa by Bernhardt "Flair", 1980sBy Bernhardt, Milo BaughmanLocated in Hamburg, PAA comfortable three-piece sectional sofa by Bernhardt "Flair" circa 1980. Would look great in any interior. The Milo Baughman style sofa has great form and simple lines. When you are...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
You May Also Like
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Console Tables
Vintage 1980s Art Deco Cabinets
Antique Late 18th Century Danish Rococo Vitrines
21st Century and Contemporary Portuguese Modern Vitrines
Early 20th Century French Art Deco Vitrines
Breccia Marble, Bronze
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Cabinets
Late 20th Century French Louis XV Vitrines
Antique Early 1900s English Cabinets
Mid-20th Century English Mid-Century Modern Vitrines
Antique 19th Century American Vitrines
Glass, Mirror, Wood
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery