- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Angelo Mangiarotti Coffee Table
- CreatorAngelo Mangiarotti (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 15.75 in. (40.01 cm)Width: 47.25 in. (120.02 cm)Depth: 47.25 in. (120.02 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU808029746862
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Italian architect, designer, teacher and urban planner Angelo Mangiarotti was a leading light in the international design community from the 1960s onward. While he was an adherent of the rationalist principles of purity of line and simplicity of construction, he sought to imbue his designs with a sense of character and lightness of spirit that was often lacking in late-20th-century modernist architecture and design.
Born in Milan, Mangiarotti studied architecture at Milan Polytechnic, graduating in 1948. Five years later, he won a visiting professorship at the Illinois Institute of Technology — beginning a peripatetic academic career that would see him teaching in numerous Italian institutions as well as in schools as far afield as Hawaii and Australia. He worked with Bauhaus eminences Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and met such greats as Frank Lloyd Wright and Walter Gropius. He returned to Italy in 1955 and would go on to work on numerous industrial, residential, commercial and civic projects in his home country, most notably a group of six railway stations in Milan.
As a designer, Mangiarotti and the development of his career embodies the evolution of modernism in the latter decades of the 20th century. In the late 1950s and early ’60s, after early experiments in plywood furniture and one-piece foam-core seating — including the 1110 lounge chair for Cassina — Mangiarotti began to design using more classic materials, from delicate, curvaceous blown-glass table lamps for Artemide to chandeliers with crystal links for Vistosi. In 1971, Mangiarotti introduced what became his signature designs: a series of tables in marble and other stones that featured “gravity joints,” their legs held in place by the weight of the tabletop. Tables in his Eros collection (1971) have muscular proportions that anticipate the robust, overscaled lines of postmodern works that would appear 10 years later: His Eccentrico table, for example, is a striking assemblage in marble featuring a top that is cantilevered dramatically on a canted columnar base.
But simplicity and practicality were consistently the primary watchwords of Mangiarotti’s designs. The purity and elegance of the objects he created offer a graceful counterpoint to a traditional decor, yet they have a singular sculptural presence that allows them to stand out powerfully in a modern interior.
- Gianfranco Frattini Attributed Coffee TableBy Gianfranco FrattiniLocated in Los Angeles, CAExquisite Italian mahogany and floating glass table attributed to Gianfranco Frattini Coffee table Cassina, circa 1960s.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Cristal Arte MirrorBy Cristal ArteLocated in Los Angeles, CALarge floating wall mirror by Cristal Arte. Bright blue colored glass mirror frame and beveled glass shelf. Chip on one corner.Category
Antique Mid-19th Century Italian Floor Mirrors and Full-Length MirrorsMaterials
- Square Metal and Leather MirrorLocated in Los Angeles, CALarge scale and expertly crafted design of a floating mirror with iron frame and thick brass detail. Leather strap and brass buckle. Brass square hanging puck. Overall drop with...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Rectangular Metal and Leather MirrorLocated in Los Angeles, CALarge-scale and expertly crafted design of a floating mirror with iron frame and thick brass detail. Leather strap and brass buckle. Brass square hanging puck. Overall drop with adju...Category
Early 2000s American Wall Mirrors
- Trousdale Circular Floating Mirror by Orange Los AngelesBy OrangeLocated in Los Angeles, CAOutlined by a thin steel frame and held in place with solid brass clasps the Trousdale mirror is beautiful in any room. Custom sizes and finishes available. Available sizes: 30" -...Category
2010s American Wall MirrorsMaterials
- Circular Metal and Leather MirrorLocated in Los Angeles, CALarge-scale and expertly crafted design of a floating mirror with iron frame and thick brass detail. Leather strap and brass buckle. Brass square hanging puck. Overall drop with...Category
Early 2000s American Wall MirrorsMaterials
Iron$4,800 / item
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Neoclassical Revival Coffee and Co...
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Tables
21st Century and Contemporary Belgian Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Early 2000s American Minimalist Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
21st Century and Contemporary American Coffee and Cocktail Tables
21st Century and Contemporary American Minimalist Coffee and Cocktail Ta...
Late 20th Century Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery