Philip and Kelvin LaVerne Chan Bronze and Pewter Coffee Table, Mid-20th Century
About the Item
- Creator:Philip and Kelvin LaVerne (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 18 in (45.72 cm)Width: 40 in (101.6 cm)Depth: 40 in (101.6 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1961
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. In excellent condition.
- Seller Location:Roanoke, VA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU8698234453112
Philip and Kelvin LaVerne
Look closely at any vintage furniture designed by father-son duo Philip and Kelvin LaVerne and a cacophony of stylistic influences reveals itself.
The LaVernes’ position at the intersection of art and design was the result of their combined backgrounds: Philip (1907–87) studied painting with Ashcan School artist John Sloan at the Art Students League of New York, while his son, Kelvin (b. 1937), attended the Parsons School of Design, taking classes in art history, furniture design and metalwork. The resulting merge of stylistic elements and innovative processes make for singular designs that defy categorization, striking a balance between modern and traditional, intricate and minimal, art piece and functional item. Their work was also strikingly different from the modern furniture created by Philip’s brother Erwine and his wife, Estelle, of Laverne Originals.
The LaVernes began producing one-of-a-kind furniture and sculpture in the mid-1950s out of a studio on Wooster Street in New York City before opening a showroom on Manhattan’s East 57th Street. As their 1960s advertisements declared: “It’s not just functional and not just art, it’s an investment.”
The LaVernes married a stunning array of techniques and styles to achieve their singular, deeply layered look for one-of-a-kind and limited-edition pieces. Chinoiserie motifs abound on many of their acid-etched tables, but art from ancient Greece and Egypt also served as inspiration. The influence of figurative sculptors is evident in designs like coffee tables and side tables with bronze bodies serving as frames or bases; other pieces, meanwhile, have deeply detailed surfaces and strikingly simple silhouettes.
The duo developed their own unconventional methods — sometimes to an extreme — for finishing their pieces: Techniques employed by the LaVernes included acid washing and burying furniture underground in a mixture of soil and chemicals to achieve a desired patina through oxidation. While they sometimes used pewter and silver, bronze was one of their most commonly employed materials, either etched or cast and sometimes paired with glass tops. Their partnership ended when Philip died in 1987 and Kelvin shifted his practice to sculpture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Roanoke, VA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- 1960s Mid-Century Italian Wingback Chairs and Ottomans in MohairBy Gio PontiLocated in Roanoke, VAIncredible pair of mid-century Italian wingback chairs originally purchased from Donzella and newly upholstered in deep blue mohair with matching ottomans. Chairs are as comfortable ...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Drexel Parallel NightstandsBy Barney Flagg, DrexelLocated in Roanoke, VARare pair of Drexel Parallel group nightstands. Walnut and glass topped nightstands from Drexel's Parallel Group having two dovetailedy drawers, suspended cabinets and ovoid legs. Or...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- 1960s Mid-Century Modern Florence Knoll Slipper Sofas- a PairBy Florence KnollLocated in Roanoke, VAThe Florence Knoll armless slipper sofas are a stunning example of mid-century modern design. A classic piece that has stood the test of time, the sofas are a testament to the enduri...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Paul Frankl Mid-Century Modern Dresser Black Lacquered WalnutBy Johnson Furniture Company, Paul FranklLocated in Roanoke, VAA vintage Paul Frankl dresser with iconic brass “x” knobs and newly lacquered black walnut is a truly exceptional piece of furniture. Its clean, angular lines and elegant proportions...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Paul Frankl Mid-Century Modern Highboy Dresser Black Lacquered WalnutBy Johnson Furniture Company, Paul FranklLocated in Roanoke, VAA vintage Paul Frankl highboy dresser with iconic brass “x” knobs and newly lacquered black walnut is a truly exceptional piece of furniture. Its c...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- 1960s Paul Evans Slate Top Occasional TableBy Paul EvansLocated in Roanoke, VAGorgeous occasional table with eight-sided welded steel base. Sides are alternating textured and gold and topped with original circular slate by Paul Evans, American 1960s. This tabl...Category
Vintage 1960s American Modern End TablesMaterials
- Philip & Kelvin Laverne Chan Coffee TableBy Philip and Kelvin LaVerneLocated in Los Angeles, CAPhilip & Kelvin LaVerne Chan Coffee Table Signed 1960's Hand crafted acid etched bronze & pewter Excellent condition The father and son team ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Philip and Kelvin LaVerne "Chan" Coffee TableBy Philip and Kelvin LaVerneLocated in New York, NYPhilip and Kelvin LaVerne "Chan" coffee table. The table is acid-etched and polychromed.Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Philip and Kelvin LaVerne "Chan" Coffee TableBy Philip and Kelvin LaVerneLocated in Los Angeles, CAPhilip and Kelvin LaVerne "Chan" coffee table.Category
Vintage 1960s American Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Philip and Kelvin Laverne "Chan" Coffee TableBy Philip and Kelvin LaVerneLocated in Brooklyn, NYPhilip Laverne vintage modern etched bronze top coffee table on bronze faux bamboo legs. This table is tamped and tagged by the designer, fitting for...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Philip and Kelvin Laverne Circular Bronze Chan Coffee TableBy Philip and Kelvin LaVerneLocated in New York, NYRound low cocktail or coffee pedestal table by Philip and Kelvin Laverne crafted from patinated and enameled bronze and pewter dating from the 1960s, known as the Chan model. Signed...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery