Willy Guhl Loop Table
About the Item
- Creator:Willy Guhl (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 9 in (22.86 cm)Width: 15.25 in (38.74 cm)Depth: 29 in (73.66 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2004
- Condition:Repaired: epoxy repair to underside of table. Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1853324706782
Decades prior to the mass popularity of neo-industrial cement floors and furniture taking shape, there was Willy Guhl. The Swiss creative is considered one of the first “industrial” designers in his home country. He pioneered a rugged, organic style of modern furniture and decor — stylish planters, shapely seating and lots more — that remains widely coveted by many today.
Guhl was born in 1915 in Stein am Rhein and worked as a carpenter before beginning studies at the Zurich School of Applied Arts (known today as the Zurich University of the Arts), where he would go on to teach for nearly 40 years.
While Guhl is well-known for his range of provocative garden elements as well as his patio and outdoor furniture, today’s legion of mid-century modern enthusiasts are likely familiar with the designer’s iconic Loop chair (introduced in 1954). For this sculptural seat and other furnishings, Guhl tended toward industrial materials, which he bent and shaped into organic forms for a striking juxtaposition. Much of his work is crafted from either concrete or Eternit, a mixture of cement and asbestos developed by the Belgian company Etex, which, in the 1950s, commissioned Guhl and his students at the School of Applied Arts to conceive planters in the material. The resulting vessels — some hourglass-shaped, some in the form of handkerchiefs, all suitable for indoors or exteriors — remain some of Guhl’s most collectible pieces.
Guhl’s affiliation with the Swiss “neo-functional” movement centered on the idea of simplifying design without sacrificing form. According to Guhl, his mission was “achieving the most with the minimum of effort.”
In addition to his work as a designer, Guhl left his mark on subsequent creatives through his 39-year tenure at his alma mater, where he was instructor to the likes of Robert Haussmann, Kurt Thut and Bruno Rey. Modern-day shoppers at IKEA owe Guhl a debt of gratitude too. He was an early advocate of flat-pack furniture, championing its ability to make good design more widely accessible.
At its core, though, Guhl’s work was inherently human-centric: “At the center of my efforts, I put people and their living requirements,” he once said. “My products must be useful to people.” Guhl died in 2004 at the age of 89.
Find a range of vintage Willy Guhl furniture and decorative objects on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Willy Guhl Concrete Loop TableBy Willy GuhlLocated in Los Angeles, CAThe Willy Guhl loop table is an icon of Swiss modernist furniture design. The loop table (also known as the beach table) was designed by Swiss in...Category
2010s Swiss Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Willy Guhl Loop Chair, SwitzerlandBy Willy GuhlLocated in Los Angeles, CAFantastic cement chair by Swiss designer Willy Guhl for Eternit. Brand new. Hand mage in Switzerland. One of the most iconic chairs ever designed. Priced as a single chair.Category
2010s Swiss Mid-Century Modern Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Willy Guhl Prototype Loop Chairs and TableBy Willy GuhlLocated in Los Angeles, CAImportant set of concrete chairs and matching table. Likely a prototype for the widely known Loop Chairs. Extremely similar shape but more rounded and slightly roomier and more comfo...Category
Vintage 1950s Swiss Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Willy Guhl Concrete Cube Side Table, 1960s SwitzerlandBy Willy GuhlLocated in Los Angeles, CASculptural concrete cube side table by Swiss architect Willy Guhl. Handmade in Switzerland in the early 1960s. Produced by Eternit. Age and weather has given this piece an inimitable...Category
Vintage 1960s Swiss BookcasesMaterials
- Willy Guhl Light Up Concrete Side Table, 1960s SwitzerlandBy Willy GuhlLocated in Los Angeles, CAStunning concrete side table with built in lamp by Eternit. Made in Swizterland. Newly rewired. Gorgeous piece of collectible design. Can be used indoors...Category
Vintage 1960s Swiss Side TablesMaterials
- Vintage Willy Guhl Concrete Loop ChairsBy Willy GuhlLocated in Los Angeles, CAIconic pair of concrete loop chairs by Willy Guhl. This pair of chairs were designed by Willy Guhl in 1954 after Guhl watched as the Eternit pan...Category
Vintage 1960s Swiss Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Pair of Chrome and Glass Side Tables by Willy Guhl, Switzerland, circa 1962By Willy GuhlLocated in Geneva, CHPair of chrome, glass and aluminum side tables by Willy Guhl produced by Wohnlife, Switzerland, circa 1962 Aluminum magazine rack can be hanged to one or both table Very good condi...Category
Vintage 1960s Swiss End TablesMaterials
- Pair of Sculptural Chrome Loop TablesBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Atlanta, GAPair of sculptural chrome-plated metal side tables, in the manner of Milo Baughman, American, circa 1960s. They are a versatile size and can be used as end or side tables, or as nigh...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair of Sculptural Brass Loop TablesBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Atlanta, GAPair of sculptural brass plated metal side tables, American, circa 1960s. They are a versatile size and can be used as end or side tables, or as nightstands.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair of Bronze Side Tables by Willy DaroBy Willy DaroLocated in Bois-Colombes, FRRare pair of side tables. SignedCategory
Vintage 1970s Belgian End TablesMaterials
- Two-Tier Brass Chrome Travertine End Table Willy Rizzo Flaminia 1970sBy Willy RizzoLocated in Paris, IDFThis stunning two-tier end table is guaranteed to be the focus of attention when you entertain guests in your living room. Following the glamorous Italian Hollywood Regency look of other classic Willy Rizzo designs, this Flaminia model side table feature a chrome-plated steel frame finished with brass edges, resulting in a beautiful and rich contrast. The combination of chrome, brass and travertine forms...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
Travertine, Brass, Chrome
- Willy Rizzo Style French Square Side Table Chrome, Brass & Smoked Glass Top, 2By Willy RizzoLocated in Miami, FLTwo French Mid-Century Modern square side tables Willy Rizzo style. Chrome bases with top brass frame and smoked glass which rests on rubber protections. It is a set as there is 1 ...Category
Late 20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials