Modern Vintage Mid-Century Modern Walnut and Chrome Side Table by Lane Furniture
About the Item
- Creator:Lane Furniture (Maker)
- Dimensions:Height: 19.75 in (50.17 cm)Width: 23 in (58.42 cm)Depth: 21.75 in (55.25 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Unknown
- Condition:Very nice condition. A few very minor edge dents.
- Seller Location:Toledo, OH
- Reference Number:Seller: ap2025111stDibs: LU1658221619452
When the first iteration of the Lane Furniture company began to produce its now-famous Lane cedar chests in the early 20th century, the family behind the brand was unsure of how successful they’d be, so they initially didn’t bother adding their name to the offerings.
The manufacturer was off to a modest start but the family was industrious: The Lanes were made up of farmers and contractors who’d built more than 30 miles of the Virginian railroad. They owned a cotton mill and purchased thousands of acres of land in Campbell County, Virginia, where the Virginian railroad was intended to cross the main line of the Southern Railway. The Lanes intended to start a town in this region of the state, and by 1912, streets for the town of Altavista had been laid out and utility lines were installed. In the spring of that year, John Lane purchased a defunct box factory at a bankruptcy auction. His son, Edward Hudson Lane, was tasked with the manufacturing of the cedar “hope” chests for which the Lane family would become known, even though the company was initially incorporated as the Standard Red Cedar Chest Company.
The Standard Red Cedar Chest Company struggled in its early days but introduced an assembly system at its small factory after securing a contract with the federal government to produce ammunition boxes made of pine during World War I. The company prospered and applied mass-production methods to its cedar-chest manufacturing after the war, and, in 1922, rebranding as the Lane Company, it implemented a national advertising campaign to market its products. Ads tied the company’s strong cedar hope chests to romance. Anchored by copy that read “The gift that starts the home,” the campaign rendered a Lane cedar chest a necessary purchase for young women to store linens, clothing and keepsakes as they prepared to marry.
Wartime production during World War II had Lane producing aircraft parts. In the 1950s, the family-owned company began to branch out into manufacturing tables, bedroom pieces and other various furnishings for the entire home. The brand’s vintage mid-century furniture is highly sought after.
Lane’s Acclaim walnut furniture line, which, designed by Andre Bus, has been compared to Drexel’s Declaration series for its blend of modern furniture’s clean contours and traditional craftsmanship. Ads for the Lane series suggested that it included “probably the best-selling table in the world.” (There are end tables, cocktail tables and more in the Acclaim collection, sporting graceful tapered legs and dovetail inlays.) Later, during the 1960s, Lane offered handsome modular wall units designed by the likes of Paul McCobb. Today, the company is owned by United Furniture Industries and is particularly well-known for its upholstered furniture.
Vintage Lane furniture is generally characterized by relatively neutral styles, which are versatile in different kinds of interiors, as well as good quality woods and careful manufacturing. All of these attributes have made Lane one of the most recognizable names in American furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toledo, OH
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Mid-Century Modern Danish Teak Side TableLocated in Toledo, OHMid-Century Modern Danish teak side table in the style of Jens Harald Quistgaard. Measures 28" x 21" x25" tall. Very nice condition.Category
Mid-20th Century European Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Modern Pair of Chrome and Cane Milo Baughman Style Side TablesBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Toledo, OHPair of Mid-Century Modern chrome and cane side tables in the style of Milo Baughman. Very nice to excellent condition. Dimensions: 22" depth x 27" W x 22" H.Category
Vintage 1970s North American Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Knoll Furniture Teak and Chrome Square TableBy KnollLocated in Toledo, OHMid-Century Modern Knoll furniture teak and chrome square table. Very nice to excellent condition with no damage. Dimensions: 27" depth x 27" W x 17.5" HCategory
Mid-20th Century North American Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern TV Stand / Side Table Thick Glass Top Mixed WoodLocated in Toledo, OHMid-Century Modern TV stand / side table. Thick removable glass top. Two doors. Oak and other woods. Very nice condition. Dimensions: 18" depth x 28" W...Category
Mid-20th Century Unknown Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Dunbar Walnut Marble Top Tables Sheaf of Wheat Base Mid-Century Modern WormleyBy Dunbar FurnitureLocated in Toledo, OHMid century modern walnut and marble sheaf of wheat table by Edward Wormley for Dunbar. Removeable new marble top. Two are available. Price reflects one table. Dimensions: 24" diamet...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Square Walnut End Tables by Lane FurnitureBy Lane FurnitureLocated in Brooklyn, NYBeautiful pair of vintage modern end tables features a unique walnut wood grain on top running in different directions. Sleek and sturdy design shows true quality craftsmanship by La...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- American Modern Walnut Side Table / Cabinet "Altavista" Series by Lane FurnitureBy Lane FurnitureLocated in San Diego, CAAmerican modern walnut side table / cabinet from the "Altavista" series by Lane Furniture, circa 1970s. The table base is hexagonal and has a door that opens to some great storage sp...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Cubic Walnut Pedestals by Lane FurnitureBy Lane FurnitureLocated in Brooklyn, NYIt's hip to be square with these incredible walnut & oak pedestal tables from Virginia's Lane Furniture! With soft edges and a robust base, this duo is sure to add a natural glow to ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Walnut, Wood, Hardwood, Oak
- Mid-Century Modern End Table with Drawer by Lane FurnitureBy Lane FurnitureLocated in Freehold, NJThis Mid-Century Modern end table by Lane Furniture features hardwood construction, walnut veneer with original finish, single dovetailed drawer, and unique stretcher base. ?Dimensi...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Lane Hexagonal Walnut Side Tables - Set of 2By Lane FurnitureLocated in Clarksboro, NJThis listing is for a pair of Mid-Century Modern Lane Hexagonal Walnut Side Tables. Featuring a hexagonal design, single door that opens up to storage space, and a beautiful walnut f...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery