Vintage Postmodern "O Line" Side Table by Charles Hollis Jones
About the Item
- Creator:Charles Hollis Jones (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 21.75 in (55.25 cm)Diameter: 22 in (55.88 cm)
- Style:Post-Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1978
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Close to excellent original condition with little to no wear.
- Seller Location:Chino Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU7628233126712
Charles Hollis Jones
The now omnipresent design use of acrylic and Lucite owes much of its enduring popularity to seasoned creative Charles Hollis Jones. Nicknamed “Mr. Lucite,” the California-based furniture designer and artist made his reputation — and contributed to a lasting legacy for a material one might not immediately consider highbrow — with chairs, tables and other furnishings in the substance scientifically known as polymethyl methacrylate. But while the connecting thread through Jones’s body of work is the presence of translucent materials, his designs are anything but one-note.
The son of an Indiana carpenter, Jones has always been fascinated with structure and reinventing expected ones in new ways. He began working with furniture manufacturers while still a teenager and came to prominence in the 1960s and ’70s, researching and experimenting with techniques to shape acrylic into unconventional forms. “If I design a T-A-B-L-E without thinking of the name, then I can pretend I’ve never seen one,” he told PIN-UP magazine. His design combinations run the gamut from Lucite, brass and glass on elegant dining tables to more unusual applications of Lucite as legs for upholstered sofas and frames for Tibetan fur chairs.
Jones’s work is as varied as his client list, which has included Frank Sinatra, Sylvester Stallone and the Kardashians. For Tennessee Williams, he created a writing chair called the Wisteria chair. Jones also collaborated several times with modernist architect John Lautner, designing furniture that seemed to disappear into its surroundings.
He resides in Los Angeles, where he still designs today.
Find a range of new and vintage Charles Hollis Jones furniture on 1stdibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Chino Hills, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Vintage Postmodern Travertine Coffee TableBy Stone InternationalLocated in Chino Hills, CAPostmodern 80s Travertine coffee table. Lovely neutral tone with a porous finish. Excellent condition. 50.5w x 28w x 16h. Perfect for that nuetral tones and minimalistic style that w...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Vintage Postmodern Travertine Coffee Table by Stone InternationalBy Stone InternationalLocated in Chino Hills, CASolid travertine Coffee table by Stone International. Measures approximately 43.5”x43.5”x 16”. Noticeable chip on edge. Please refer to p...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Post-Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Vintage Postmodern Solid Travertine Coffee TableBy Stone InternationalLocated in Chino Hills, CAGreat condition for its age with apropiate wear. Measures approximately 60x30x18h. Lovely minimalistic/nuetral tones for your place! More on the off-white color. If you have any ques...Category
Vintage 1980s Post-Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- 1960s Lane Furniture Walnut "Guitar Pick" Side TableBy Lane AcclaimLocated in Chino Hills, CAVintage, 1960s Lane Furniture Co walnut and ashwood "Guitar Pick" triangular side table. In original condition, some minor dings and scratches. Measures approximately 26.5w x 25.5d x...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Vintage Postmodern Plastered Sirmos 'Quarry' Coffee TableBy SirmosLocated in Chino Hills, CASirmos ‘Quarry’ coffee table made out of speckled plaster, c1970s. 42” diameter x 15.25h. Perfect for the postmodern/neutral tones that we're seeing more and more of everyday. One ch...Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Vintage Boho Pencil Reed Bamboo TableBy Gabriella CrespiLocated in Chino Hills, CAJust in, a spectacular boho chic side table with pencil reed finish. Features a spacious drawer that pulls out for ample storage (24.25W x 15.25D x 7.75H) and a glass top for easy fu...Category
Vintage 1980s American Bohemian Side TablesMaterials
- Charles Hollis Jones O Line Side Table, 1970sBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Culver City, CAThis table is gorgeous, the "O Line" table is one of Charles Hollis Jones' most iconic designs. It is a side table made entirely out of acrylic, featuring a circular top and a cylind...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Brass, Steel$1,760 Sale Price20% Off
- Charles Hollis Jones "Metric" Line Side Tables SignedBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Cathedral City, CATwo tiers lucite and polished nickel-plated end tables made and signed by Charles Hollis Jones. Provenance directly from artist private collection.Category
21st Century and Contemporary North American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Charles Hollis Jones Side TablesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Austin, TXPair of side tables by Charles Hollis Jones featuring a Lucite and brass tripod neoclassical structure. The top is glass.Category
Vintage 1970s French Neoclassical Side TablesMaterials
Brass$5,900 / set
- Charles Hollis Jones Metric Line Triangle TableBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Palm Springs, CAAn unusual and very practical triangle table by Charles Hollis Jones. It features an adjustable base. Some slight handling marks and imperfections.Category
20th Century American End Tables
- Charles Hollis Jones, "Chain" Side TablesBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Los Angeles, CAIntroduced in 2013, the "Chain" side tables are a bold statement to design and evolution in Charles Hollis Jones designs. The "Chain" side tables are made of solid steel and plated i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Side TablesMaterials
Nickel$13,500 / set
- 1965 Pair of Charles Hollis Jones "Box" Line Side Tables SignedBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Cathedral City, CAPair of polished nickel-plated and Lucite side or drink tables designed and manufactured by Charles Hollis Jones "Box" line signed and dated. Purchase directly from Charles Hollis J...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery