Large Brass Clipper Ship Wall Sculpture by Curtis Jeré, 1970s
About the Item
- Creator:Curtis Jeré (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 29.93 in (76 cm)Width: 43.31 in (110 cm)Depth: 3.15 in (8 cm)
- Style:Minimalist (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970-1979
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor fading.
- Seller Location:Izegem, BE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU7230233567772
Though the name Curtis Jeré is familiar to many as the maker of ebullient and eccentric modern design from the 1960s and ‘70s, relatively few are aware that it is a pseudonym for the design team of Curtis Freiler and Jerry Fels. Together, the two created some of the most striking and vivid furnishings and decorative objects of their era, from sculptures and dynamically framed mirrors, to lighting and wall decorations.
New Yorkers Freiler and Fels had collaborated for two decades on small jewelry lines before launching a design company called Artisan House in 1964. They combined variants of their names to create an artful persona — sometimes shortened to C. Jeré; the "surname" is pronounced with a rising inflection: jhayr-EH — that stood behind large-scale decorative metalwork, marked by semi-abstract petal forms with burnt and brazed edges. Fels served as head of design, and Freiler, known for his keen handiwork, was the production chief. The pair’s eclectic metalwork has captivated decorative art collectors and interior designers ever since.
The work of Curtis Jeré displays a sense of playfulness and curiosity, while drawing on inspirations and themes that include flowers, discs, geometric forms and animal figures. Freiler and Fels had a masterful ability to work with different materials, such as patinated brass and brilliant chrome.
The price of a Curtis Jeré mirror, lamp, wall-mounted sculpture or tabletop sculpture can range from $400 to $12,000, depending on the size, the rarity of the piece, the intricacy of the metalwork and the materials used in its construction. Other factors like condition can affect the perceived value and, thus, the cost of works by Curtis Jeré.
As you will see on 1stDibs, the imaginative powers of the designers of Curtis Jeré pieces were boundless, and their creations will add a dash of verve in any room.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Izegem, Belgium
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Rare Marble & Brass Hidden Bar Coffee Table by Paul Michel, France, 1970sBy Paul MichelLocated in Izegem, VWVA Paul Michel 1970s coffee table executed in white marble with brass trim. This combination in materials is rarely seen on these tables. The luxurious marble top opens up smoothly t...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Carrara Marble, Brass
- Bird Lounge Chair by Harry Bertoia for Knoll International, 1970sBy Harry Bertoia, KnollLocated in Izegem, VWV1970s production Bird Chair in black by Harry Bertoia for Knoll International. New rubber shockmounts were provided.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Black & Gold Shelving Highboard Cabinet, 1970sLocated in Izegem, VWVThis stylish shelving cabinet was created in the 1970s. It features a gloss black lacquered casing, surrounded by golden edges and smoked glass doors and shelves.Category
Mid-20th Century European Hollywood Regency BookcasesMaterials
- 2 F152 Leather Swivel Lounge Chairs by Geoffrey D Harcourt for Artifort, 1970sBy Geoffrey D. Harcourt, ArtifortLocated in Izegem, VWVGreat set of lounge chairs by Geoffrey David Harcourt, designed for Artifort. These armchairs, upholstered in a brown leather on a plastic swivel base date from the 1970s and are in ...Category
Mid-20th Century Dutch Space Age Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Leather & Travertine Coffee Table from de Sede, 1970sBy De SedeLocated in Izegem, VWVThis stylish coffee table in dark brown leather with a travertine table top was produced by deSede in the 1970s.Category
Mid-20th Century Swiss Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- 1970s Proposals P60 Lounge Chair & P61 Ottoman by Vittorio Introini for SaporitiLocated in Izegem, VWVThe P60 is a comfortable lounge chair from the Proposals series designed by Vittorio Introini for Saporiti Italy. The chair comes with the matching P61 ottoman that has the same cur...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Lounge ChairsMaterials
- 70s Geometrical Wall Sculpture by Curtis JereBy Curtis JeréLocated in Madrid, ESA 70s geometrical wall sculpture by Curtis Jere. Mixes Steel, painted steel, brass and chrome plated steel. Signed.Category
Vintage 1970s American Abstract SculpturesMaterials
Brass, Steel, Chrome
- Curtis Jere Brass Starburst Wall SculptureBy Curtis JeréLocated in West Palm Beach, FLThis Curtis Jeré (Curtis Freiler and Jerry Fels) mid-century modern metal starburst wall sculpture is a stunning example of the craftmanship of th...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Vintage Curtis Jere Style Patinated Brass Potted Tree SculptureBy Curtis Jeré, Jonathan AdlerLocated in Chattanooga, TNFabulous vintage 1970s Curtis Jere style patinated brass decorative potted tree. The elegantly welded metal tree is quite large. The tree with pot reaches to 73? in height and nearly...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Curtis Jere Chrome Plated Sputnik Pom Pom Wall Sculpture VintageBy Curtis JeréLocated in North Miami, FLThis vintage chrome plated Curtis Jere wall sculpture is from the 1970s. It is not signed that we can see. It is authentic. It is a combination of 5 sea creatures we call sea urchins...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Curtis Jere Mixed Metals Pom Pom Starburst Hanging Wall Sculpture VintageBy Curtis JeréLocated in North Miami, FLThis Curtis Jere wall sculpture has dangling rods ending with balls as the tips meet a starburst of brass as the pom pom. It is mixed metals with chrome at the bottom and brass at the top. This Curtis Jere vintage...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Phoenix Wall Sculpture by Curtis JereBy Curtis JeréLocated in Antwerp, BEBrass metal art wall sculpture Eclectic Hollywood Regency decor piece Curtis Jere, USA, 1970s Measures: W 85 x H 120 cm.Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Decorative ArtMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery