Original David Hockney Etching of Celia Birtwell
About the Item
- Creator:David Hockney (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 36.23 in (92 cm)Width: 29.53 in (75 cm)Depth: 1.38 in (3.5 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1969
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. good condition, not examined out of the frame.
- Seller Location:Henley-on Thames, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: 28341stDibs: LU977329133792
The art of David Hockney is always engaging in its pleasant ambiguities: his prints, drawings and paintings are warm but somehow aloof; filled with light yet often dark and brooding in subject; simple, frank and mundane, but also ethereal and complex. The artist’s stature in the contemporary art world is such that, in a 2011 survey of one thousand British painters and sculptors, he was named the most influential British artist of all time.
Hockney grew up in Bradford, in the northern English county of Yorkshire, studying at the Bradford School of Art from 1953 to ’57, and at the Royal College of Art in London from 1959 to 1962. Though he was educated in art at a time when abstraction dominated the field, Hockney stuck resolutely to figurative painting and drawing.
Hockney's early paintings suggest a search for a style, veering from Expressionism to a grotesquerie suggestive of James Ensor. But Hockney found himself almost the moment he arrived in Los Angeles, in 1963. The move from the gray and rainy Britain to a world of bright sunshine and sparkling water brought Hockney a sense of freedom and an artistic epiphany. He would spend most of the next five years in L.A., painting luminous pictures, such as A Bigger Splash (1967), of things that made him happy: swimming pools, manicured lawns, palm trees, stucco buildings and luxuries like shower stalls. Hockney also painted people, almost always his friends. His California portraits such as Beverly Hills Housewife (1966) are considered to be his finest work. They are at once grandly scaled, intimate and poetic.
In the 1970s, Hockney moved back to Britain and spent much of his time on photography and printmaking. He returned to painting in the 1980s, and to subjects like still lifes, seascapes and portraits. Hockney has always been fascinated by the use of technology in art — he’s credited with inventing the technique of joining Polaroid photos in a collage to form a panoramic picture — and has been using the Brush app to paint on an iPad. Because he is prolific and works in a wide range of mediums, Hockney’s art is available at many price points. His consistently striking and provocative work should have a place in any comprehensive collection of contemporary art.
Find original David Hockney art on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: St Tropez, France
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- 1960s Watercolor Vista of New York City by Roger BertinBy Roger BertinLocated in Henley-on Thames, OxfordshireWell executed colorful watercolor on paper of New York City by the French artist Roger Bertin in white gallery frame, circa 1960. Roger Bertin was born in Rue Gabrielle in Montmartre, Paris in 1915, and lived in the same house all his life. His godfather was the poet and painter Max Jacob...Category
Vintage 1960s French PaintingsMaterials
- The Embrace after Pablo PicassoBy Mourlot, Pablo PicassoLocated in Henley-on Thames, OxfordshireAfter Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)?The Embrace, offset lithograph in colours, on watermarked Arches paper, an impression aside from the standard edition of 125, published by Guy Spitzer...Category
Vintage 1950s French Modern PrintsMaterials
- Sitting Monkey Gouache by Henri SamouilovLocated in Henley-on Thames, OxfordshireGouache and pastel study of a sitting Macaque monkey with its hand to its head by Henri Samouilov with a similar unfinished study to the reverse of the...Category
1990s French Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Standing Macaque Gouache by Henri SamouilovLocated in Henley-on Thames, OxfordshireGouache and pastel study of a standing macaque monkey by Henri Samouilov with an unfinished study of two monkeys to the reverse of the sheet Paris, ...Category
1990s French Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Mid-Century Silvered Bronze Lily Leaf by Chrystaine CharlesBy Chrystiane Charles, Maison CharlesLocated in Henley-on Thames, OxfordshireSilvered bronze Lily leaf by Chrystaine Charles signed, paper Charles Bronze D’Art label. By Maison Charles, Paris circa 1970. Provenance Galerie Chrystaine Charles, Rue Bonapa...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
- Original Photograph of Karl Lagerfeld on LocationBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Henley-on Thames, OxfordshireOriginal silver gelatin print of a photo shoot from Karl Lagerfeld's studio, shows KL himself holding a light reflector. ex-collection Eric Wright - Lagerfeld's right hand man in t...Category
Late 20th Century French Modern PhotographyMaterials
- 1985 David Hockney Paints the Stage Poster, Hayward GalleryBy David HockneyLocated in London, GBDavid Hockney, born 1937, is a prolific artist, internationally renowned for his pool paintings, portraiture and stage design. He was born in Bradford in 1937. In 1957 he moved to London to attend the Royal College of Art, graduating in 1962. This poster, which has been linen backed, was produced in 1985 to promote his exhibition held at The Hayward Gallery. The poster shows a detail from Les Mamelles de Tirésias (The Beasts of Tirésias), an opera by Francis Poulenc...Category
Vintage 1980s British Modern PostersMaterials
- Original Antique Print of Mosque of Omar, Jerusalem, After David Roberts, 1835Located in St Annes, LancashireWonderful image of The Mosque of Omar Fine steel engraving after David Roberts Published by John Murray & Son, London. Dated 1835 Unframed.Category
Antique 1830s English Moorish PrintsMaterials
- Original Antique Print of Burgos Cathedral, Spain. After David Roberts. C.1850Located in St Annes, LancashireWonderful image of The Interior of Burgos Cathedral Fine steel engraving after David Roberts Published circa 1850 Unframed.Category
Antique 1850s English Classical Roman PrintsMaterials
- Original Antique Print of the Ancient City of Petra After David Roberts c 1850Located in St Annes, LancashireWonderful image of Petra, Jordan Fine steel engraving after David Roberts Published circa 1850 The measurement given is the paper size Unframed.Category
Antique 1850s English Greco Roman PrintsMaterials
- Old Religion Engraving of the Consecration of David and of David and GoliathLocated in Langweer, NLLarge antique print with two religious engravings. The upper image depicts the consecration of David. The lower image depicts David and Goliath. This print originates from a work illustrating the complete series of Vatican frescos painted...Category
Antique 19th Century PrintsMaterials
- "Bathers" by John E. Costigan, Original Limited Edition Signed EtchingBy John Edward CostiganLocated in New York, NYThis original, limited edition etching, was realized by the esteemed American artist John E. Costigan, circa 1930. He is represented in the collections of the Metropolitan Museum, th...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco PrintsMaterials