Robert Mapplethorpe Botanical Porcelain Plate, Calla Lily, 1984
About the Item
- Creator:Robert Mapplethorpe (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 1 in (2.54 cm)Diameter: 12 in (30.48 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1984
- Seller Location:Downingtown, PA
- Reference Number:Seller: NY10236-iiux1stDibs: LU861035163772
Robert Mapplethorpe was born on November 4, 1946, in Floral Park, New York. He left home in 1962 and enrolled at Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, in 1963, where he studied painting and sculpture and received his BFA in 1970. During this time, he met artist, poet, and musician Patti Smith. She encouraged his work and posed for numerous portraits when they lived together in Brooklyn and in the Chelsea Hotel in Manhattan, a gathering place for artists, writers, and musicians in the early 1970s.
It was not Mapplethorpe’s original intention to be a photographer, and from 1970 to 1974, he mainly made assemblage constructions that incorporate images of men from pornographic magazines with found objects and painting. In order to create his own images for these collages, Mapplethorpe turned to photography, initially using a Polaroid SX-70 camera. Interested in portraiture, Mapplethorpe worked as a staff photographer for Andy Warhol’s Interview magazine. He also produced album covers for Smith and the group Television, and at the same time photographed socialites and celebrities such as John Paul Getty III and Carolina Herrera.
Mapplethorpe had his first substantial shows in 1977, both in New York: an exhibition of photographs of flowers at the Holly Solomon Gallery and one of male nudes and sadomasochistic imagery at the Kitchen. Mapplethorpe’s diverse work — homoerotic images, floral still lifes, pictures of children, commissioned portraits, mixed-media sculpture — is united by the constancy of his approach and technique. The surfaces of his prints offer a seemingly endless gradation of blacks and whites, shadow and light, and regardless of subject, his images are both elegant and provocative. In the mid-to-late 1980s, returning to the sculptural use of photography seen in his early assemblages, Mapplethorpe created sensual diptychs and triptychs of photographs printed on fabric and luxurious cloth panels.
In 1988, four major exhibitions of Mapplethorpe’s work were organized: by the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; the Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia; and the National Portrait Gallery, London. Mapplethorpe died due to complications from AIDS on March 9, 1989, in Boston.
Find original Robert Mapplethorpe photography on 1stDibs.
(Biography provided by Cerbera Gallery)
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Downingtown, PA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Robert Mapplethorpe Botanical Porcelain Plate, Orchid, 1987By Robert MapplethorpeLocated in Downingtown, PARobert Mapplethorpe Botanical Plate, Orchid, 1987 Made for Swid Powell, The Robert Mapplethorpe plate depicts an Orchid made in 1987. It is ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Robert Mapplethorpe Botanical Porcelain Plate, Flower, 1986By Robert MapplethorpeLocated in Downingtown, PARobert Mapplethorpe Botanical Plate, Flower, 1986 Made By Swid Powell The Robert Mapplethorpe porcelain plate depicts in black and white a flower dated on the reverse 1987. It is l...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern PorcelainMaterials
- English Porcelain Botanical Plaque, Attributed to DerbyBy DerbyLocated in Downingtown, PABeautiful English Porcelain Botanical Plaque, Attributed to Derby, Circa 1825 The upright rectangular porcelain plaque is painted with a finely painted grouping...Category
Antique Early 19th Century English Georgian Decorative ArtMaterials
- Vintage Piero Fornasetti Gold Adam Porcelain Plates, Set of TwelveBy Piero FornasettiLocated in Downingtown, PAVintage Piero Fornasetti Gold Adam Porcelain Plates, 1970s. A complete set of twelve vintage painted gold ground transfer-printed porcelain plates in black and white...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Flight & Barr Worcester Botanical Porcelain PlateBy Flight & Barr WorcesterLocated in Downingtown, PAFlight & Barr Worcester Botanical Porcelain plate, circa 1792-1800 The Flight & Barr porcelain dessert plate has a simple purple flower to the center with a gilt line surround. The wide, shaped rim is finely painted with three different alternating flowers- a yellow rose, a red carnation, and a pink double-headed plant with a gilded rim. Measure: Diameter: 7 3...Category
Antique Late 18th Century English Regency PorcelainMaterials
- Botanical Still Life with Insects, Continental, Early 19th CenturyLocated in Downingtown, PAA fine continental botanical still life painting with insects, possibly Scandinavian, Gouache and oil on vellum, early 19th century. The painting is stunning. The painting with...Category
Antique Early 19th Century Swedish Neoclassical PaintingsMaterials
- Robert Mapplethorpe "Lisa Lyon" PhotographBy Robert MapplethorpeLocated in West Palm Beach, FLBetween 1980 and 1982 Robert Mapplethorpe photographed Lisa Lyon culminating in "Lady Lisa Lyon" published in 1983. This image is separate from the 114 im...Category
Vintage 1980s American Photography
- Decorative Plates Kaiser Wall Porcelain Plates Kaiser PorcelainBy KaiserLocated in Bastogne, BEDecorative collection plates from the finest bone china from the famous German manufactory Kaiser (Kaiser). Series “Classical lullabies of the wor...Category
Vintage 1980s German Mid-Century Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Midcentury Octogonal Plate Robert Picault VallaurisBy Robert PicaultLocated in Austin, TXMidcentury Octogonal Plate Robert Picault Vallauris. Robert Picault (1919 - 2000) was born in Vincennes, Paris and studied at the School of A...Category
Vintage 1950s French Mid-Century Modern Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Majolica Water Lily Plate Villeroy & Boch, circa 1900By Villeroy & BochLocated in Austin, TXMajolica water lily plate Villeroy & Boch, circa 1900.Category
Antique Early 1900s German Country Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Majolica Water Lily Asparagus Plate Keller & Guerin Saint ClementBy Saint-ClémentLocated in Austin, TXMajolica Art Nouveau asparagus plate unsigned Keller et Guerin Saint Clement Every important French manufactures produced at the end of the 19th century asparagus and artichoke sets...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Art Nouveau Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Set 12 Porcelain Plates Eva Black/WhiteBy FornasettiLocated in MILANO, ITThis set of twelve hand-decorated porcelain plates, as a whole, forms the figure of Eva. You can use the ensemble for ornamental purposes or...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Decorative ArtMaterials