‘Coral’ Oil on Canvas Painting by Shiavax Chavda
Oil on canvas. Signed, titled dated on verso. Framed. Born in 1914 in Navsari Gujarat, Chavda joined the Sir J.J. School of Art, Mumbai in 1930. In 1935 he went to London where he studied at the Slade School under Professor Randolph. In 1937, he continued his studies at the Academie de la Grande Chaumiere, Paris. While in Paris, he worked alongside Leon Bakst and Picasso in designing the sets for the Diaghelev Ballet. He travelled extensively through the length and breadth of India to understand his subjects. Indian temples, the ancient art traditions, rural life, the sacredness of art, all formed the basis for his unique style. Chavda's style evolved from the early realistic portrayals to depiction of the personality and character of his subjects but the works always remained optimistic and vibrant, though never dramatic. Shiavax Chavda was a masterful interpreter of ancient Indian art forms and his sympathy with its subjects, whether human, animal or architectural and his ability to enter their souls with a few deft strokes is considered the hallmark of his work. His ability to capture the life force, the movements, even their muscular structure or their body structures with a few simplified strokes is what makes him Stand apart. He had his first solo exhibition in Mumbai in 1945 and thereafter in Indonesia, Singapore, London, Paris and Switzerland. His works have also been featured in the UNESCO International exhibition (1946) and the Salon de Mai (1951). Between 1956-1963, he exhibited with the Bombay Group. A retrospective of his work was held at the Jehangir Art Gallery in 1993. Shiavax Chavda died in 1990.
- CreatorShiavax Chavda (Artist)
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1979
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsThis painting is in excellent condition, with no damage to the canvas or paint surface. There is some wear to the frame consistent with its age.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 39.77 in. x W 39.77 in. x D 1.19 in.H 101 cm x W 101 cm x D 3 cm
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Seller Reference NumberPIC10171781
- Reference NumberLU2461316003021
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2016
Typical response time: 1 hour
Located in London, GB
More From This Seller
Oil on Canvas Painting by Henrietta Dubrey
'Triptych' 1966 by Roy Conn, Oil on Three Canvases
Vintage 1960s English Paintings
Acrylic on Board Abstract Geometric Painting by...
Mid-20th Century English Paintings
You May Also Like
$525 Sale Price
Framed Oil Painting on Canvas by F. Chantry
Vintage 1950s French French Provincial Paintings
American Oil on Canvas Painting
Antique Late 19th Century American Paintings
Oil on Canvas Chateau Painting
Antique Late 18th Century French Paintings
Oil on Manipulated Canvas Painting
Vintage 1970s American Paintings
$2,200 Sale Price
Haitian Oil Painting on Canvas
20th Century Haitian Paintings