Items Similar to Edwardian Natural Pearl and Opal Necklace View More
Edwardian Natural Pearl and Opal Necklace
This Edwardian-era necklace of 18K yellow gold features alternating stations of opal beads and natural freshwater pearls. The natural pearls are freshwater river pearls and have retained their beautiful luster and colorful orient despite being over a century old. The 12 pearls measure in the 5 - 7 mm range and are a variety of natural baroque shapes. The 11 natural Australian crystal opal beads measure approximately 5mm and despite the fact that each bead shows loss under magnification —especially near the drill-holes— they are magnificently colorful. None of the opal beads are cracked but they do have tiny chips which are difficult to see even with magnification and these imperfections are unnoticeable when the necklace is on. Natural river pearls are exceedingly rare and this brief 16" necklace is a beautiful showcase for them. Light, delicate, sophisticated and precious, this necklace is one you can wear and never take off. It bears a European metal fineness mark for 18K gold but no maker's mark. I believe the clasp is a later replacement. This necklace is most likely English. I collect natural river pearl jewelry —I love pearls of all kinds— and this is a very pleasing piece.
- In the Style Of
- Place of OriginUnited Kingdom
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1910
- Condition DetailsThe pearls are in beautiful condition. The opals show minor losses under magnification near the drill-holes. This is unnoticeable when wearing and the chips require magnification to view.
- WearWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses.
- DimensionsD 16 in.D 406.4 mm
- Length16 in. (406.4 mm)
- Weight5.45 g
- Seller LocationSouthbury, CT
- Reference NumberLU158918784701
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 8-17 days.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.See Details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2019
Typical response time: 1 hour
Located in Southbury, CT
More From This Seller
Gump's Pearl and Opal Necklace Features Rare & ...
Gump's San Francisco
Mid-20th Century Modern
$3,640 Sale Price
Edwardian Necklace of Precious Topaz, Ruby, Nat...
Vintage 1910s Edwardian
You May Also Like
Natural Saltwater Pearl Necklace
New York, NY
Edwardian Natural Freshwater Pearl Platinum Sta...
Vintage 1910s Edwardian
Long Natural Pearl Necklace
Antique 19th Century Victorian
Large Opal Pearl and Turquoise Necklace
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary
Tahitian Pearl, Natural Coral and Diamond Necklace
Late 20th Century
Pearl, Opal and Blue Sapphire Beaded Necklace
Royaal Stones Ltd
21st Century and Contemporary Modern