Items Similar to 18th Century Continental Etui View More
18th Century Continental Etui
Crafted in the resplendent Rococo taste is this 18th-century gilt metal étui. Topped by a charming cherub figure, this wonderful case was most likely used to hold sewing necessities, which could be accessed with the press of a button to open the lid. Named from the Old French word “estuier,” meaning “to keep or hold,” an étui is a very versatile item. These ornamental cases could be made of any material, from precious metals like gold or silver to exotic materials such as tortoiseshell or shagreen. Though many were used for more clandestine reasons, some also served the most practical purpose of holding small items such as sealing wax for letters, scissors, thimbles, bodkins and needles, cosmetics and even a doctor’s lancet. Mid 18th-Century 4 3/4" length
- Of the PeriodRococo
- Place of OriginGermany
- Date of ManufactureMid 18th Century
- Period18th Century
- DimensionsW .69 in. x D .69 in.W 17.53 mm x D 17.53 mm
- Length4.75 in. (120.65 mm)
- Seller LocationNew Orleans, LA
- Seller Reference Number30-7388
- Reference NumberLU1354305433
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with the seller on your behalf to ensure you're satisfied with the resolution. Read more
Delivery, Returns & Payment
- DeliveryRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 3 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
No Reviews Yet
1stdibs seller since 2010
Located in New Orleans, LA
You may also contact the seller by phoneCall seller through 1stdibs
More From This Seller
You May Also Like
1920s Continental Silver Gilt Enamel Cigarette ...
Antique Silver Hand Chased Box, Continental, ci...
English, Gilt Bronze Doré, circa 18th Century J...
1960s Classic 18 Karat Mesh Gold and Diamond Cl...