- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
'Pool' Modular Sofa, by Colani , Price Includes Reupholstery & choice of color
- DimensionsHeight: 60 cm (23.63 in.)Width: 400 cm (157.49 in.)Depth: 400 cm (157.49 in.)Seat Height: 15 cm (5.91 in.)
- StyleSpace Age (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970
- ConditionReupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use. This set will be reupholstered in FEBRIK 'gentle 2' fabric which is included in the price.
- Seller Locationbergen op zoom, NL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU930128450772
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingCustoms Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: bergen op zoom, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
While the Rosenthal Porcelain Factory grew from humble decorating roots — as many pottery companies do — it eventually built a list of universally revered designer and artist partners that included Andy Warhol and Salvador Dalí. And after securing an enviable position as a top manufacturer of serveware and dominating the porcelain and bone china markets, Rosenthal expanded into furniture production, working with influential designers Verner Panton, Luigi Colani and Günther Ferdinand Ris and Herbert Selldorf.
German-born Jewish businessman Philipp Rosenthal founded the company in 1879 in Bavaria. It began as his modest workshop where he painted porcelain and encountered success with porcelain ashtrays. Rosenthal hired the best designers and clay modelers he could find. Adolf Oppel designed figurative Art Nouveau pieces, while Eleonore (Lore) Friedrich-Gronau produced decorative objects, namely her graceful porcelain dancer figurines, for the company.
Dinnerware, though, would be a Rosenthal mainstay. Between 1904 and 1910, Rosenthal produced its renowned dinnerware lines such as Donatello, Darmstadt and Isolde. These were introduced as unornamented white pieces — only later were they given their underglaze designs.
Rosenthal founder Philipp, a Catholic of Jewish ancestry, resigned in 1934 as the company’s president due to pressures owing to discriminatory German laws that took shape during the rise of the Nazi regime. Rosenthal died in 1937, and the family fled to America. The company would not regain its footing until 1950 when Rosenthal’s son, Philip, joined the firm and, in 1958, became chairman and dubbed Germany’s “China King.” At its peak, the company had 10,000 employees.
In the 1950s, Rosenthal’s modernist dinnerware was a significant part of the brand’s offerings, and by 1961 they introduced the famed Rosenthal Studio Line. Although furniture designers and ceramicists would lead the list of individuals working with Rosenthal — among them Tapio Wirkkala, Max Weber and Lisa Larson — the company eventually reached out to fine artists, not only Dalí and Warhol but Sandro Chia and Kenny Scharf. Rosenthal also collaborated with fashion designers Gianni Versace and Donatella Versace.
In a daring move in 1972, the company diversified into furniture, collaborating with some of the giants of mid-century modern design. The revolutionary Sunball chair, an icon of Space Age seating crafted by Selldorf and Ris, was among Rosenthal’s stellar successes in this venture.
- 1971 Verner Panton "PANTONOVA" Sofa by X Design Denmark circa 1977 James BondBy Verner PantonLocated in bergen op zoom, NLLarge 10-piece Pantonova modular sofa by Verner Panton, design 1971 Featured in James Bond "The spy who loved me" in 1977 Year: 1971 Serial production model The wire furni...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Space Age Sectional SofasMaterials
- Pair of Modulair "Orbis" Seating Units by Luigi Colani for COR Germany, 1970By Luigi Colani, CORLocated in bergen op zoom, NLThis pair of 'Orbis' Spage Age seating units was designed by flamboyant Industrial designer Luigi Colani for COR Germany in 1970 Each unit features a plywood white lacquered base wi...Category
Vintage 1970s German Space Age Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Two Seat Mohair 'California' Sofas, Jacques Charpentier, Paris, 1970By Jacques CharpentierLocated in bergen op zoom, NLSuperb and exclusive pair of two seat Mohair Velvet 'CALIFORNIA' sofas freshly reupholstered with Italian luxury Mohair Velvet fabric from Dedar Milano with inset stainless steel bas...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Selection of Willy Rizzo sofas available, we can restore,choose your own fabric.By Willy RizzoLocated in bergen op zoom, NLThis iconic sofa was designed by Willy Rizzo in 1969 and is published in many of the interior design journals of the period. This design was illustrated in Casa Vogue's feature on Ri...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Seating as Minimalist Sculpture, 4 Elements by Uredat, 1969, Mohair UpholsteryBy Klaus Uredat, CORLocated in bergen op zoom, NLAmazing, museum quality, modular 'CORBI' seating set, composed of four elements, designed by Klaus Uredat for 'COR', Germany, 1969 complete with the original purchase invoice dated 1...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
Mohair, Foam, Wood
- First Edition P32 Lounge Set by Borsani, Early Triangulated Form Wire Base, 1956By Osvaldo Borsani, TecnoLocated in bergen op zoom, NLStunning, rare early first edition 1956 "32" series lounge set by Italian designer Osvaldo Borsani for 'Tecno', Italy. This set comprises a pair of first edition 'P32' lounge and the...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s German Space Age Sofas
Fiberglass, Foam, Fabric
Vintage 1960s Swiss Mid-Century Modern Living Room Sets
Vintage 1970s Swiss Sectional Sofas
Vintage 1970s Austrian Mid-Century Modern Sectional Sofas
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sectional Sofas
Leather, Foam, Wood
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern Living Room Sets
Early 2000s French Modern Living Room Sets
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern Living Room Sets
Leather, Canvas, Oak
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Living Room Sets
Vintage 1970s German Modern Living Room Sets
Leather, Upholstery, Plastic, Wood, Oak, Down
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery