Modular Sectional Dark Brown Leather Sofa by Arflex, Tito Agnoli, Italy, 1970
About the Item
- Creator:Artifort (Manufacturer)
- Attributed to:Tito Agnoli (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 25.6 in (65 cm)Width: 140.56 in (357 cm)Depth: 89.38 in (227 cm)Seat Height: 13.78 in (35 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 8
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Zagreb, HR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5333226212262
The sterling reputation that Artifort enjoys isn’t limited to the innovative upholstery and fluid, organic shapes for which its products are widely known — the legendary Dutch brand’s vintage seating and other furniture is also celebrated for its embodiment of functionality, comfort and quality. These are among the principles that underpin the philosophy toward modern furniture design at Artifort, which has been at the crossroads of furniture and art for over 125 years.
Prior to 1928, the year Artifort officially became a brand, Jules Wagemans had a small upholstery business in Maastricht, the Netherlands. After setting up in 1890, his son, Henricus Wagemans, broadened the scope of the company to include furniture production. By the end of the 1920s, their showroom in Amsterdam had made them a recognizable brand across the Netherlands.
Then named H. Wagemans & Van Tuien, the company changed its name to Artifort after the economic recession. Artifort came from two Latin words meaning “art” and “strong” — a perfect description for the style of each design and the manufacturer’s intention to create sturdy furnishings. Artifort’s reputation for durable armchairs and sofas endures, and vintage editions of this seating are now family heirlooms in many homes.
Artifort became a magnet for high-profile and up-and-coming designers alike. Many furniture designers’ careers began thanks to collaborations with Artifort, such as Dutch industrial and jewelry designer Gijs Bakker and Indonesian-born designer Kho Liang Ie. Also known for designing the interiors at Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport, Kho Liang Ie was an aesthetic consultant at Artifort and used his expertise to turn the company into a world-class brand. Perhaps his largest contribution, however, was attracting the talents of French furniture and interior designer Pierre Paulin and English furniture designer Geoffrey D. Harcourt.
Paulin’s bright and colorful lounge chairs, such as his Orange Slice chair and Mushroom chair, are still central to the Artifort identity. The revered designer not only introduced new construction techniques to Artifort furniture, but contributed fresh materials, Pop art colors and dazzling shapes to the mid-century modern era as a whole, while Harcourt deserves credit for popularizing Artifort internationally and extending their reach into foreign markets.
Another talent boom in the 1990s at Artifort yielded collaborations with Jasper Morrison, Wolfgang Mezger and René Holten. Iranian designer Khodi Feiz was named art director in 2014 and has continued the tradition of recruiting top designers such as Claesson Koivisto Rune, Ilse Crawford and Luca Nichetto.
Find a collection of vintage Artifort lounge chairs, tables and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Zagreb, Croatia
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Large Biomorphic Sectional Sofa, Austria, 1970sBy Hans HopferLocated in Zagreb, HRVery exclusive set of two identical sculptural, biomorphic sectional sofas, one in beige and one in gray fabric. Manufactured in the 1960s - ...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
Fabric, Foam, Wood$16,360 / set
- Vintage Modular Beige Suede Living Room Suite, Sectional Lounge Sofa, GermanyBy Carl StraubLocated in Zagreb, HRThe ensemble of 4 elegant and stylish curvy lounge chairs is designed in the 1970s for multifunctional use as separate lounge chairs or as a modula...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Set of Three Scandinavian Modern Black Faux Leather Modules by Beka, 1970sLocated in Zagreb, HRVery rare modular seating group consisting of 3 bloc-shaped lounge chairs upholstered in black faux leather The name of this model is 'Kim' and it was manufactured by Belgian fur...Category
Mid-20th Century Belgian Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
Faux Leather, Plastic, Foam
- Giulio Corner Black Leather Sofa by Afra & Tobia Scarpa for Meritalia, Italy 80sBy Afra & Tobia Scarpa, MeritaliaLocated in Zagreb, HRGiulio sofa was designed by Afra and Tobia Scarpa for Meritalia in 1987. This corner shaped sofa version of the model Giulio is XXL in size. The frame of the sofa is made of woo...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- 3-Seater Sofa from Swed Form, Sweden 1970s, Designed by Johan Bertil HäggströmBy Johan Bertil Häggström, Swed FurnLocated in Zagreb, HRExceptionally comfortable 3-seater sofa manufactured in the 1970s by Swed Form Design by Johan Bertil Häggström The sofa features a Bauhaus-style tubul...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Chrome$3,130 Sale Price30% Off
- 1 of 2 Vintage Scandinavian Bamboo 2-Seater Sofa, Loveseat, c.1970Located in Zagreb, HRVintage bamboo 2-seater sofa from the 1970s. Produced in Scandinavia by an unknown manufacturer. The quality of the production is very high. The sofa features a bamboo frame with d...Category
Mid-20th Century Scandinavian Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Fabric, Bamboo, Foam$1,432 Sale Price24% Off
- Tito Agnoli for Arflex, Modular Sofa Model '9000', in Teddy Re-Upholstery 1970sBy Tito Agnoli, ArflexLocated in Almelo, NLTito Agnoli for Arflex, modular sofa model '9000', in teddy fabric re-upholstery, Italy 1970s. This model is marked by showing infinite possibilities to customize its use accordi...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Vintage Sling Modular Cognac Leather Sectional Sofa Germany Chapo EraLocated in Munich, BavariaThis unique and gorgeous modular sectional sofa from the 70ties is manufactured in germany. The design follows the pure shape of the wood and has slightly curved design. The Sling sh...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
Leather, Canvas, Oak
- Tito Agnoli Arflex Sectional Sofa Model '9000' in Terracotta Suede UpholsteryBy Arflex, Tito AgnoliLocated in Vienna, ATTito Agnoli for Arflex, modular sofa model '9000', in light terracotta colored suede upholstery with 7 modular elements. All sectional elements from the famous model '9000' can be ...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- 'Mah Jong' Modular Sectional Sofa Signed by Roche Bobois, France 2010By Hans Hopfer, Roche BoboisLocated in Vienna, ATStunning 'Mah Jong' sofa designed by Hans Hopfer for Roche Bobois. An iconic sofa design made in Italy in a beautiful and vibrant fabric. Includes 20 floor cushions, 6 back rests and...Category
2010s French Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Vintage Modular limegreen Mohair Living Room Suite Sectional Sofa GermanyLocated in Munich, BavariaThis unique and gorgeous modular sectional sofa from the late 70ties is manufactured in germany. The frame is made of lacquered dark stained oak wood. The thick seat cushions made ...Category
Vintage 1970s German Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
Mohair, Foam, Oak
- Italian Gary Modular Sofa by Giulio MarelliBy MarelliLocated in Boston, MADesigned By Studio Marelli Dimensions: 2 Square Elements - 39.4" x 39.4" x 16.1" 2 Rect. Elements - 39.4" x 27.8" x 16.1" 2 Central El...Category
2010s Italian Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
Fabric$18,165 Sale Price30% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery