- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Postmodern Geometric Chair and Ottoman by Thayer Coggin
- DimensionsHeight: 29 in. (73.66 cm)Width: 31 in. (78.74 cm)Depth: 30.5 in. (77.47 cm)Seat Height: 19 in. (48.26 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleMinimalist (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1990s
- Seller LocationLas Vegas, NV
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1399217479552
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingUS$699 In-Home Delivery Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 3-8 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by appointment to the room of your choice.Ships From: Las Vegas, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Few friendships last a lifetime, but Milo Baughman (1923–2003) and Thayer Coggin (1922–2003) were united by their desire to craft American furniture with timeless heirloom appeal. Today vintage Thayer Coggin sofas, coffee tables, alluring chrome-framed chairs and other furnishings are recognized as masterpieces of good design and remain highly sought after by collectors near and far.
Having both served in the military during World War II and coming from humble backgrounds — Coggin from Denton, North Carolina, and Baughman from Goodland, Kansas (but raised in California) — they shared a passion for simple, modern design in home furnishings. In 1953, after showing his prescient designs to a number of companies (who turned him down) in the furniture center of High Point, North Carolina, Baughman decided to pay a last-minute visit to Coggin, who had just founded his eponymous brand. After a nearly hour-long meeting in which Coggin shot out of his seat exclaiming he had never seen anything like Baughman's work, the two men shook hands. They would be friends and collaborators for the next 50 years.
Coggin let Baughman pursue his singular vision, while the Thayer Coggin company benefited from its close relationship with the ever more prominent Baughman, the manufacturer’s lead designer and an architect of California modernism who also collaborated with Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and others during his career.
In 1968, New York Times critic Rita Reif hailed Baughman’s work for its elegance and sophistication. “With this furniture,” she wrote of his new collection, Environment 70 produced by Thayer Coggin, “who needs a decorator?” Baughman’s name became synonymous with sleekly modern, comfortable furniture the whole family could enjoy — stylish seating upholstered with impossibly cozy bouclé fabric and dashing case pieces that reflected the venturesome sensibility associated with mid-century modernism as well as the functionality of the Bauhaus.
Although its founder died in 2003, Thayer Coggin remains an esteemed family-run brand in High Point. Each item of furniture is bench-made by a single craftsperson to ensure “continuity among related pieces,” the company says, and comes in a vast array of upholstery fabrics, wood and metal finishes. Like the friendship that defined it, Thayer Coggin furniture is built to last.
Find a unique collection of new and vintage Thayer Coggin furniture today on 1stDibs.
- By Milo BaughmanLocated in Las Vegas, NVBeautifully restored pair of oversized barrel back lounge chairs with splayed arms. Check out those lines. Ch...Category
20th Century Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- By Urban FurnitureLocated in Las Vegas, NVThis extremely rare and sculptural pair of midcentury lounge chairs was designed by William Hinn for The Urban F...Category
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- By Werther Toffoloni and Piero Palange, GermaLocated in Las Vegas, NVOversized and huge on character and style this G23 Hoop chair design by Piero Palange and Werther Toffoloni for ...Category
Early 20th Century Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- By Chuck BurdickLocated in Las Vegas, NVRare, one of a kind set of handcrafted, midcentury studio craft chairs signed, Chuck Burdick. Constructed of ...Category
20th Century Minimalist ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century American Post-Modern Chairs
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Settees
Rooms We Love: 11 Splendid Living Rooms
Common wisdom used to declare the kitchen the hub of the house. These days, the living room seems to have assumed the role of domestic focal point. Unlike the Victorian parlor, stiffly furnished and reserved for guests, today’s living room is a central place for reading, conversation and, well, living, with furnishings that lend themselves to both casual lounging and elegant entertaining.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery