Items Similar to 19th Century Grand Tour' Giltwood and Micromosaic Centre Table with Roman Scenes
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 10
19th Century Grand Tour' Giltwood and Micromosaic Centre Table with Roman Scenes
A Grand Tour Centre Table The Top Attributed to Cesare Roccheggiani The carved gilt wood base in the manner of George Smith having four monopedia supports, each depicting leopards heads atop, with paw feet below, and conjoined by an incurved stretcher base having carved stiff leaf decoration, and raised on castors; the circular platform of marmoro nero, with a stylised Greek Key border within double Malachite reserves; the central micromosaic roundel depicts The Vatican from St Peter's Square, surrounded by eight separate roundels of The Pantheon of the Gods; the smallest of Rome's seven hills, the Capitoline; The Mauseoleum of Hadrian on the Tiber; The Roman Forum, with the remnants of the Temple of Vespasian; The Colosseum; the Temple of Vesta; The Arch of Titus, and the Tomb of Cecilia Metella. English / Italian, Circa 1875 The attribution to Cesare Roccheggiani is supported by Jeanette Hanisee Gabriel, former curator of the Gilbert Collection and Honorary Curator for the Gilbert Collection at the Victoria & Albert Museum. Provenance: From a Noble family, the 6th Earl of Macclesfield (1811-1896) then by descent. The base is similar in design to designs published by George Smith's A Collection of Designs for Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1808. The taste for monopedia supports was of fashion, in the Regency period and models of such were displayed in the 1851 Great Exhibition. The Macclesfield coat of arms depicts a shield with a central chevron and three leopard's faces. Views of Roman monuments was the most popular theme used by mosaicists in Rome in the beginning of the 19th century, supplying the flow of wealthy Grand tourists from Northern Europe. From small gold boxes, plaques to tabletops, mosaics were among the most sought after souvenirs from Italy. Tabletops were the most prized and expensive items, either acquired on tour or commissioned by English aristocracy and those of wealth. Cesare Roccheggiani The scion of a dynasty of mosaicists, Roccheggiani was perhaps the most successful mosaicist in the last quarter of the nineteenth century. He is doubtless related to Lorenzo Roccheggiani, a late eighteenth-century master mosaicist at the Vatican, whose work included the altarpiece, Crucifixion of St. Peter after Guido Reni. Nicolo Roccheggiani, possibly Lorenzo's son, was also a principle artist at the Vatican, involved in executing the famous tabletop Achilles Shield commissioned by Napoléon Bonaparte, and later gifted by Leo XII to Charles X of France in 1825, and now preserved in the Museum of Versailles. Establishing his own workshop on the Via Condotti in 1874, a late nineteenth-century guide book to Rome lists him as a supplier of mosaic pictures, tables, cabinets, paper weights and gold ornaments. His extensive retail production indicates that Roccheggiani ran a large workshop of mosaicists, as well as goldsmiths and craftsmen. The finest and most costly objects were tabletops (such as the present circular table) and large scale pictures acquired by wealthy and important patrons and displayed at international exhibitions; today they are in possession of discriminating collectors and museums. The present table has all the hallmarks of the finest work by Rocchegianni, incorporating-and improving on- components also used by his master, Michelangelo Barberi. His extraordinary skill is evident in his very large and rectangular mosaic of St. Peter's Square, signed and dated C. ROCCHEGGIANI /ARTISTA/ VIA CONDOTTI NO. 15 / ROMA 1879 that sold Christie's, London, April 2010, lot 268 for an astonishing $730,538; his matching view of the Roman Forum, identically signed and dated, sold Christie's, London, December 2010, lot 245, for $533,192. A smaller table top, presenting the same scenes and displaying the characteristic double malachite reserves enclosing a trompe l'œil Greek key is recorded in a private collection (see Grieco & Gambino, 2001, p. 184); while a signed Rocchegianni table top similarly exhibiting these fine qualities was sold Sotheby's 2015.
- DimensionsHeight: 77.47 cm (30.5 in.)Diameter: 90.17 cm (35.5 in.)
- StyleGrand Tour (In the Style Of)
- Materials and TechniquesGiltwood,Glass,Malachite,Hand-Carved
- Place of OriginItaly
- Period19th Century
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1875
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference NumberSeller: 88411stDibs: LU95478731513
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingEstimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
1stDibs Buyer Protection Guaranteed
If your item arrives not as described, we’ll work with you and the seller to make it right. Learn More
Parts of this page have been automatically translated. 1stDibs cannot guarantee the accuracy of translations. English is the default language of this website.
About the Seller
Located in London, United Kingdom
These prestigious sellers are industry leaders and represent the highest echelon for item quality and design.
Established in 1964
1stDibs seller since 2012
31 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 4 hours
The British Antique Dealers' AssociationLAPADA - The Association of Arts & Antiques Dealers
More From This Seller
- 19th Century Micromosaic Table Top with Views of Rome from the Grand TourLocated in London, GBA grand tour circular table top Possibly by Domenico Moglia The circular platform of marmore nero, inset with fine micromosaic panels consisting of hundreds of coloured glass tes...Category
Antique 19th Century Italian Grand Tour TablesMaterials
- Mid-19th Century Amboyna Octagonal Centre TableBy Johnstone, Jeanes & Co.Located in London, GBA good centre table by Johnstone & Jeanes of London Constructed in amboyna, with extensive marquetry inlays in specimen woods, and enhanced with parcel-gilt highlights. Rising fro...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century English Center TablesMaterials
- 19th Century Mahogany and Satinwood Astrological Marquetry Centre TableBy Maple & Co.Located in London, GBA fine quality astrological centre table firmly attributed to Maple & Co Constructed in very finely figured mahogany and satinwood, and having marquetry inlay of superior quality...Category
Antique Late 19th Century English Victorian Center TablesMaterials
- 19th Century Shaped Centre Table with Inlay and Gilt Metal by GillowsBy Gillows of Lancaster & LondonLocated in London, GBAn Antique Shaped Centre Table by Gillows Constructed in Circassian walnut, with specimen woods inlays, and gilt metal adornments; rising from a castor shod scrolled leg quadripar...Category
Antique 19th Century British Victorian Center TablesMaterials
- 19th Century 'Grand Tour' Table with Specimen Marble and Pietra Dura Stone TopLocated in London, GBA 'Grand Tour' specimen marble top table The circular top presenting a geometric mosaic design with a central musical cartouche executed in pietre dure, surrounded by 16 lobed rad...Category
Antique 19th Century European Grand Tour Center TablesMaterials
Stone, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Marble
- 19th Century Italian Micro-Mosaic Grand Tour Table Attributed to RoccheggianiBy Cesare RoccheggianiLocated in London, GBA rare grand tour table Possibly by Cesare Roccheggiani The circular platform of marmore nero, inset with fine micromosaic panels consisting of thousands of coloured glass tesser...Category
Antique 19th Century Italian Grand Tour Center TablesMaterials
Malachite, Marble, Belgian Black Marble
You May Also Like
Incredible Rare 19th Century Italian Grand Tour Scagliola Center Table
Located in Charleston, SC
Incredible rare 19th century Italian Grand Tour scagliola center table. The classical inspired table features the Greek key decorated lintel top supported by a tryptich of monop...
Antique 19th Century Italian Grand Tour Center Tables
Large Important 19th Century Continetal Carved Giltwood and Marble Centre Table
Located in GB
We are delighted to offer for sale this large and very important carved giltwood marble topped impressive centre table circa 19th century A 19th century French carved giltwood cen...
Antique 19th Century French Louis XVI Center Tables
19th Century Ebonized Centre Table
Located in London, GB
A fine early 19th century ebonized centre table in the 17th century manner, having a faux marquetry rectangular top, with central drawer and raised upon barley twist legs with conjoi...
Antique 19th Century English Baroque Tables
Anglo Indian 19th Century Centre Table
Located in Bedfordshire, GB
A fine quality mid 19th century Padouk wood Anglo Indian centre table having superbly figured circular tilting top with profusely carved frieze over central baluster turned column wi...
Antique Mid-19th Century British Indian Ocean Territory Anglo-Indian Cen...
Early 19th Century Marble-Topped Centre Table
Located in London, GB
An early 19th century marble-topped centre table, the Breche Violette marble inset top above a frieze fitted with an arrangement of opposing drawers and slides above shaped sabre leg...
Antique 19th Century Dutch Neoclassical Center Tables
19th Century Louis XV Style Centre Table
Located in London, GB
19th century, freestanding, centre table intricately carved on all sides with Louis XV style motifs. Finished in a two tone patina of French grey with Ecru white highlighting. The pi...
Antique 19th Century French Louis XV Center Tables
19th Century Carved Rosewood Centre Entry Table
Located in Forney, TX
A fine quality, elegant and sophisticated antique European oval centre table from the second half of the 19th century. Hand-crafted and carved from solid rosewood, finished in th...
Antique Late 19th Century Center Tables
19th Century French Charles X Paved and Inlaid Centre Table with Round Top
Located in IT
19th century French Charles X paved and inlaid centre table with round top Elegant central table made in France in the Charles X period, paved with different woods. The circular pla...
Antique 1820s French Charles X Center Tables
French 19th Century Walnut Louis XVI Centre Table
Located in Baton Rouge, LA
A gorgeous French 19th century Louis XVI style centre table, topped with a beautiful piece of Breche d’Alep marble. The shaped marble-top is shaped to fit the walnut base. The table’...
Antique Late 19th Century French Louis XVI Center Tables
US$3,200 Sale Price
Very Fine and Rare 19th Century Specimen Marble Top Centre Table
Located in Dublin, IE
Rare 19th century mahogany specimen marble top centre table of circular form, the stunning marble top comprising of beautiful examples of Carrera White, Sienna, Nero Portoro Black, P...
Antique 19th Century French Center Tables