1990s Céline Crocodile Belt
About the Item
Now renowned for chic womenswear as well as luxury leather handbags that are often recognized for their iconic gold-tone fastening and hardware, French fashion house Celine got its start in children’s shoes.
In 1945, Céline Vipiana and her husband, Richard, opened a made-to-measure shoe shop for children at 52 rue de Malte in Paris. Designer Céline’s name graced the business, alongside a red elephant designed by French cartoonist Raymond Peynet that served as the company’s first logo. In 1967, following an expansion into women’s shoes and leather accessories, the Vipianas decided to expand their company’s reach into women’s ready-to-wear, focusing on high-end sportswear. Céline Vipiana, who remained chief designer until her death in 1997, would oversee a range of fashion that would reach an international audience with a pared-down elegance and timeless style.
The company quickly achieved widespread success with its new offerings, most notably its trench coat, which became a staple for the brand. In the 1970s, they expanded outside Paris with boutiques in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills and Hong Kong. In 1973, Céline Vipiana, inspired by chain links around the Arc de Triomphe, debuted the Blazon Chaîne motif of interlocking C’s. She began using it on a printed canvas and branding as well as accents on accessories, such as the Triomphe bag.
Vipiana’s designs were created to appeal as everyday fashion: Celine skirts, suits, fitted shirts, vests and coats were stylish but rooted in practicality. Quality, too, was paramount; Vipiana’s determination to deliver the best possible leather led to the opening of a studio in Florence, where the brand created its leather goods.
Vipiana died a year after her brand was acquired by Bernard Arnault’s luxury conglomerate LVMH for about $540 million. American designer Michael Kors then took the helm as creative director. Kors, too, was known for practical but chic ready-to-wear. He introduced such luxury staples as cashmere sets, smartly tailored pants and simple slip dresses, plus themed collections around jet-setter locales like Monte Carlo and Tahiti. Following Kors’s departure in 2004, onetime Burberry designer Roberto Menichetti took the job for just a year. He was followed by designer Phoebe Philo, the young British designer who is now credited with establishing Celine’s 21st-century style.
Philo created a distinct, minimal style that channeled the brand’s roots of practical simplicity with luxury materials. (“I just thought I’d clean it up,” she quipped of her debut collection in 2010.) Over the course of ten years, Philo turned the company into a beloved fixture of the fashion industry. In 2018, after Philo’s departure, the house tapped Hedi Slimane, former creative director of Yves Saint Laurent, as its new leader; he caused a stir when he famously removed the accent from the brand name. Controversial though it was, Slimane maintained it was a return to the label’s roots: an exercise in strong simplicity.
Find vintage Celine day dresses, handbags and other items on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- 1980's Judith Leiber Maroon Lizard Skin Belt w/ Gold Tone BuckleBy Judith LeiberLocated in San Francisco, CA1980's Judith Leiber fully-adjustable belt made in maroon lizard skin, with modernist gold tone belt buckle with two set-in glass beads, one black and one dark maroon. Hook and eyele...Category
Late 20th Century Belts
- 1970s Castlecliff Golden Eagles & Leather BeltBy CastlecliffLocated in San Francisco, CA1970s Castlecliff Golden Eagles & Leather Belt. Thick brushed links between each leather pieced. Large oval front buckle, nonremovable. 31.5"-33.5" length.Category
- Gianni Versace Faux Snakeskin and Silver Rope BeltBy Gianni VersaceLocated in San Francisco, CAGianni Versace Faux Snakeskin and Silver Rope Belt L 35-38 W 1.5Category
Late 20th Century Italian Belts
- Gucci Belt with Enamel and Gilt Metal or Choker NecklaceBy GucciLocated in New York, NYA stunning and juicy vintage enamel and gilt metal gucci logo belt with toggle clasp. The gilt and enamel are in beautiful condition with the double interlocked gucci G's!. And you can also wear it as a stylized double wrapped choker...Category
1970s Italian Belts
- Gucci Bordeaux Mini GG Buckle BeltBy GucciLocated in London, GBCrafted in Italy from bordeaux calf leather, this pre-owned belt by Gucci features an adjustable fit, a slim design and the signature 'GG' logo buckle accented by an intricate combin...Category
20th Century Unknown Belts
- Moschino Gold Tone Sewing Charm Bracelet VintageBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino gold tone sewing charm bracelet vintage Be retro cool wearing this vintage charm bracelet by Moschino. the gold tone has started to come off the...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Stars And Moon Chain BeltBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Carmel, CAYves Saint Laurent Gold chain belt with cutout stars and moons throughout. Belt measures approximately 29” Long, plates are 1.5 inches wide with the largest being 2.5” x 2.5”. Hook c...Category
Late 20th Century Belts
- Brunello Cucinelli Horn Waist Tie BeltBy Brunello CucinelliLocated in Carmel, CABrunello Cucinelli horn belt attached by leather straps with a dual-strap waist tie closure. Approximate length measures 31 inches (not including leather strap tie closure). Excellen...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Belts