- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Maison Martin Margiela Tabi Boots Black Canvas Circa 1999
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 38 (EU)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Berlin, DE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU150217249152
Maison Martin Margiela
Belgian designer Martin Margiela (b. 1957) — whose life, career, clothing designs and vintage shoes have become cult-collector obsessions — pushed those who attended his shows outside their comfort zones. In the years following his maison's 1988 debut, he toyed with creative and aesthetic paradoxes that persist in fashion today.
Consider the Spring/Summer 2001 shirt patchworked from vintage clothing labels, or his famous corset dresses made from tailoring dummies, from his Fall/Winter 1997 line. Or his oversize collection for Fall/Winter 2000. In 1992, Margiela told Dépêche Mode magazine, “My clothes appeal to women of a certain mindset rather than of a specific age or physique.”
Born in Genk, Belgium, in 1957, Margiela knew he wanted to be a fashion designer after catching glimpses of Parisian fashion on TV as a child. Although his parents discouraged this career choice as an oddly funny aspiration, Margiela enrolled in the fashion program of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. There, he befriended and graduated a year ahead of the Antwerp Six — the acclaimed group of Belgian fashion designers comprising Dries Van Noten, Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Marina Yee, Dirk Bikkembergs and Dirk Van Saene.
Like many of his contemporaries in the 1980s, Margiela understood Paris fashion but felt a deep resonance with the deconstructed beauty espoused by Japanese designers Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo, of Comme des Garçons. Margiela’s fascination with Japan influenced many of his earliest collections and designs, from a dress pieced together from broken plates to his iconic Tabi boots, inspired by the split-toe Japanese worker’s shoe, which dates back to the 15th century. He decided to launch his own line while working for renowned Paris designer Jean Paul Gaultier.
Margiela, Gaultier has often stated, was his best assistant. Even then, the 2019 film Martin Margiela: In His Own Words suggests, he was acutely aware of the widening gulf between the art and the business of fashion.
Margiela’s debut show was nothing short of spectacular. Set in a packed Café de la Gare in the still-seedy Marais district, it was also scandalous to the Parisian fashion set of the time. The designer tore up the conventions of contemporary couture presentations, most notably having his models, plucked from the streets and wearing ink-blotted Tabis, wend their way through the crowd. The show redefined the concept of the runway in a way that would later inspire such designers as Alexander McQueen and Demna Gvasalia.
While the notoriously private designer retired from fashion in 2009, for many Maison Martin Margiela collectors, his pieces capture the irreverence of the postwar, post-punk late 1980s and ’90s. Katy Rodriguez, cofounder of the cult vintage fashion shop Resurrection, is among those who felt a connection to Margiela’s clothing in the subliminal challenges it posed to the time’s beauty norms.
“Growing up in San Francisco and coming out of the end of punk rock, not wanting to be objectified, not wanting to be seen as a sexual object, not wanting your value to be just because you’re pretty — all those clothes played into all of that,” she says. “It really was a reflection of the kind of world the young people I knew at the time wanted to live in.”
Find vintage Maison Martin Margiela boots, evening dresses, jackets and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Berlin, Germany
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Worlds End Strap Boots Vivienne Westwood / Malcolm Mclaren 1982-1983By Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm MclarenLocated in Berlin, DEOriginal strap boots Worlds End Westwood / Mclaren 1982/83 Buffalo including a label in each boot. These iconic boots were purchased at the legendary worldsend shop 430 Kings Road De...Category
1980s English Shoes$3,810 Sale Price25% Off
- Martin Margiela Artisanal line 0 Denim Collar NeckpieceBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Berlin, DEMartin Margiela artisanal -line 0- collection denim collar circa 2000.Category
Early 2000s Belgian Ties
- Martin Margiela Reworked Red White Gingham Top Blouse 1990sBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Berlin, DEMaison Martin Margiela top / blouse from circa 1990s. Beautifully reworked button shirt has inward-sewn collar, cuffs and front closure. Size : 38Category
1990s Belgian Blouses
- Martin Margiela Grey Knit Mohair SleevesBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Berlin, DEMartin Margiela grey knit sleeves with long mohair stripe detail. Measurements : Length from shoulder point : 67 cmCategory
Early 2000s Belgian Sweaters
- Martin Margiela Leather Pastel Silk Purse PouchBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Berlin, DEMartin Margiela silk wrapped purse with a zip fastening. Beautiful light shades graduation silk with bow detail. Size : 22 cm x 15 cmCategory
1990s Belgian Clutches
- Martin Margiela Grey Knit White Mohair Vest TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Berlin, DEMartin Margiela gray knit top with long mohair stripe detail. Measurements : Under arm : 84 cm Length : 56 cmCategory
Early 2000s Belgian Sweater Vests
- Margiela red leather painted tabi boots, fw 1995By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBMartin Margiela; red leather painted tabi boots Fall-Winter 1995Category
1990s Italian Shoes
- Maison Martin Margiela Spring-Summer 1991 inverted pinstripe vestBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBMaison Martin Margiela Spring-Summer 1991 inverted pinstripe vest - exposed darts and seams - contrast overlocked stitch - exposed black metal zip on side seamCategory
1990s Italian Blouses
- Martin Margiela black leather 'Les Topless' Tabi sandals, ss 1996By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBMargiela; Black leather 'Les Topless' Tabi sandals, designed to be worn with clear tape Spring-Summer 1996Category
1990s Italian Shoes
- new MARTIN MARGIELA 1990's Vintage black silver handpainted tabi boot EU39Located in Hong Kong, NTnew MARTIN MARGIELA 1990's Vintage black silver handpainted tabi boot EU39 Reference: TGAS/A04278 Brand: Maison Margiela Designer: Martin Margi...Category
1990s Italian Boots
- MARTIN MARGIELA RUNWAY Replica '1970's evening dress'By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in San Fransisco, CAJet-black jersey '1970's evening dress' designed by Margiela from the 'Replica' line dating to the early 2000’s although an almost identical dress was s...Category
Early 2000s North American Maxi Dress
- Martin Margiela giant fluorescent lime goat hair padded tube gilet, fw 2007By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GB▪ Archive Martin Margiela oversized padded gilet ▪ Fluorescent lime goat hair ▪ Doughnut shape ▪ Backless ▪ Polyester padding ▪ Size Small ▪ F...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Vintage Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal Black Leather Glove Top 2001By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer an iconic Maison Martin Margiela artisanal leather "glove" gilet from 2001. This u...Category
1990s French Bodices
- MM6 Maison Martin Margiela Grey Mini Dress, Size SmallBy MM6 Maison MargielaLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The dress is made out of stretchy cotton material, featuring low neck line and two front pocket. It can be pulled up and worn as the top.Category
1990s Day Dresses$360 Sale Price20% Off
- Martin Margiela brown wool coat with matching oversized belt, fw 1996By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GB▪ Rare Martin Margiela brown wool coat ▪ Matching oversized belt with large metal buckle and adjustable elastic tape ▪ Single-breasted ▪ 2 front f...Category
1990s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Maison Martin Margiela for H&M Rare NWT Women's XS Deconstructed Leather MotoLocated in Dix hills, NYMaison Martin Margiela for H&M Rare NWT Women's XS Deconstructed Leather Moto Jacket 125mm33 Made In: China Measurements: Length: 15.5" Width...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- Maison Martin Margiela Leather half boots size 37By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITLeather Bicolor, bordeaux and cognac Back zip Heel height cm 8 (3,14 inches)Category
2010s Italian Shoes
- 2005 Maison Martin Margiela 'After Party Pumps' New in Box.By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Laguna Beach, CA2005 Maison Martin Margiela 'After Party Pumps' New in Box. Destroyed look, as after a long night of partying. Curled up leather on the inside of the heels Detached elastic straps on...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes
- Maison Martin Margiela Mens sz 40 Silver x Black Leather Replica Sneaker 2MM1014By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Dix hills, NYMade In: Italy Measurements: Length: 10.75" Width: 3.5" Height: 4" OVERALL EXCELLENT+ CONDITION ( 9.5/10 or A+) Men's Size 40 Signs of Wear: Close To Perfect, May have been only...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoes
- Maison Martin Margiela Men's Sneaker Paint-Finish White 43By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Miami, FLMaison Margiela men's white paint-finish sneaker. Rare to find this fabulous Maison Margiela sneaker is perfect for the summer season for ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoes
- Martin Maison Margiela Men's Sneaker Graffiti Print 43By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Maison Martin Margiela men's graffiti print sneaker. Rare to find this fabulous Maison Martin Margiela sneaker is perfect for...Category
- Maison Martin Margiela Men's Sneaker Gold Ombre Limited Edition 43By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers Maison Martin Margiela men's Limited Edition Ombre Gold numbered sneaker. Rare to find this fabulous Maison Martin Margiela s...Category
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery