Balenciaga Uplift Star Print Jersey Dress
About the Item
Starting as a modest boutique, Balenciaga evolved to transform the landscape of women’s fashion with shapes and contours during the middle of the 20th century that were nothing less than groundbreaking. Today, the brand is as venturesome as ever and is well known for its shoes, handbags, streetwear and other clothing and accessories.
Though he was born in the quiet fishing village of Getaria in Spain’s Basque region, Cristóbal Balenciaga (1895–1972) was destined to reshape modern fashion. As a child, he worked alongside his seamstress mother. Showing immense talent, he earned commissions as a teenager from local patron Marquesa de Casa Torres, who paid for his tailoring education in Madrid. In 1917, he established his first haute couture house — named Eisa, for his mother — in the trendy resort town San Sebastián. He soon followed it with boutiques in Madrid and Barcelona, drawing such clientele as the Spanish royal family.
When the Spanish Civil War put a hold on his prospects in Spain, the designer moved to Paris, opening a house on Avenue Georges V in 1937. There, Balenciaga rubbed elbows with fashion greats like Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli and quickly won over clients like Gloria Guinness, Pauline de Rothschild and Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor. As a couturier, Balenciaga drew from his Spanish heritage for ideas, riffing on everything from matador costumes and flamenco dresses to the paintings of Diego Velázquez, whose portraits of Spanish princesses famously inspired Balenciaga’s Infanta gown.
An expert tailor, he experimented with sculptural silhouettes that didn’t follow the body. Some of his notable designs include the 1953 balloon jacket, and from 1957, the cocoon coat, the baby-doll dress and the sack dress, which he popularized with his good friend designer Hubert de Givenchy. All of these could be considered not just the masterpieces of haute couture, but also objets d’art in their own right, leading to Balenciaga’s nickname, “The Master.”
Balenciaga continued designing until 1968, when he retired after three decades of influential work and his fashion house went dormant. The rights to Balenciaga were acquired by Jacques Bogart S.A. in 1986. Under designer Michel Goma, who focused on ready-to-wear, the brand experienced a resurgence, with his first collection introduced in 1987. The brand returned to high fashion with the arrival of designer Josephus Thimister in 1992. It has since been led by a series of creative directors who have paid homage to Balenciaga’s iconic designs, including Nicolas Ghesquière, Alexander Wang and, most recently, Demna Gvasalia. In 2011, a museum celebrating Balenciaga’s legacy opened in his hometown in Spain, commemorating where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Thousand Oaks, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Burberry Wool Black and White Speckle Shift Dress Size 38By BurberryLocated in Thousand Oaks, CABurberry Wool Black and White Speckle Shift Dress Burberry cream and black splatter print sleeveless shift dress. Zipper all the way up. Lined on the inside. Wool silk blend. Mid-Le...Category
2010s Shift Dresses
- Stella McCartney Black Midi Sheer and Pleated Lace Dress Size 42By Stella McCartneyLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAStella McCartney Black Midi Sheer and Pleated Lace Dress Size 42 Lace hem. Conforms the the body. NBW. New with tags. Retail $2185 Selling on Farfetch right now for $1093 Offering ...Category
2010s Cocktail Dresses
- Marni Printed Blue and White Seashell Dress Size 40By MarniLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAMarni silver and navy printed pleated seashell dress. V-neck. Hidden back zipper. Front side pockets. New with tags. 58% silk, 42% cotton. Size 40.Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Lanvin Purple Cotton Summer Day DressBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Thousand Oaks, CACotton Purple Lanvin Day Dress that has a flower embellishment with a belt. Hits at the knee, vintage feel. Perfect for spring / summer days. Figure Flattering with gathering at the ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Altuzarra Multi-color Resort Dress Size 36 NWTBy AltuzarraLocated in Thousand Oaks, CANew with tags Altuzarra maxi dress in multi-colors. Seafoam Siren is the style and color name. Pleats make for an effervescent flow when you walk. Glamorous and comfortable at the same time. There is a black slip underneath as well as black tassles...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Missoni Crochet Knit Striped DressBy MissoniLocated in London, GBMissoni Crochet Knit Striped Dress Navy dress designed with the brand's signature multicoloured zig zag stripe pattern. Featuring boat neckline, three-quarter sleeves and mid-thigh...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Casual Dresses
- Chloe Navy Blue/White Striped Knit Sleeveless Flared Maxi Dress MBy ChloéLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This stylish maxi dress is a fashionable and versatile piece that exudes elegance and comfort. With its long silhouette, it provides a flattering and feminine look. Designed with chi...Category
2010s Italian Casual Dresses
- Burberry Black Jersey Chain Detailed Short Dress MBy BurberryLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Look nothing but lovely as you don this marvelous dress from Burberry. Pair it with your favorite accessories as you head out for the day.Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- 1970s Oscar De La Renta silk print halter dressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s Oscar De La Renta silk print halter dress. Size: 4 Bust: 34" / Waist: 26" Neck Circumference : 16" Length: 33"Category
1970s American Cocktail Dresses
- CHANEL 11S CC Logo Champagne Beige Knit Dress Sz.38By ChanelLocated in Krakow, PL2011 Spring Summer Collection ・sleeveless heavyweight knit dress ・scoop neck ・interlocking CC pattern at hem ・single interlocking CC button closure at nape ・76% Viscose, 24% Polya...Category
2010s Day Dresses