UNWORN Chanel "Little Black Dress" Knit Dress with Zipper Detail 38
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- NEW Gucci by Tom Ford Spring 2003 Ruched Knitted Silk DressBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHRARE STUNNING GREY DRAPED DRESS BY TOM FORD FOR HIS SS 2003 COLLECTION FOR GUCCI DETAILS: Stunning grey GUCCI dress Beautiful ruched detai...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- NEW John Galliano Black Crochet Knit Ruched DressBy John GallianoLocated in Switzerland, CHAn extremely luxurious JOHN GALLIANO piece that will last you for years Made of soft black knitted fabric Ruched details Fully lined with black soft fabric Dry clean onlyCategory
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- NEW Missoni Metallic Lurex Crochet Knit Asymmetric Dress 42By MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHA signature Missoni knit dress in metallic colors is the only dress you'll need. Missoni's dress is an effortless way to wear the brand's signature ...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- UNWORN Chanel Charcoal Grey Cashmere Blend Skirt Top Set Ensemble as Dress 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHBodyhugging signature cashmere blend ensemble by Chanel Set of 2 pieces - skirt & top So versatile - can be worn together for a dress-like style or combined with other items A timele...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Casual Dresses
- NEW Chanel Black Crochet Knit Cocktail Dress LBD 36By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHLovely new interpretation of the timeless Chanel classic little black dress A true Chanel signature piece that will last for many years 3D crochet knit Two front pockets CC logo butt...Category
2010s French Mini Dresses
- NEW Chanel Black Crochet Knit Woven Dress 42By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHLovely new interpretation of the timeless Chanel classic little black dress A true Chanel signature piece that will last for many years So versatile - dress it up with a slip dress (...Category
2010s French Informal Dresses
- Issey Miyake faux fur vest and skirt ensemble, A/W 2000By Issey MiyakeLocated in London, GB- Vest with emphasised breast panels and wrap design - Blanket wrap skirt with button closures - Faux fur / leatherette suede Autumn-Winter 2000Category
1990s Japanese Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Gucci by Tom Ford bottle green pintuck leather shift dress, fw 1999By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Gucci bottle green leather shift dress ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Pintuck detail ▪ Three-quarter circular flounce sleeves ▪ Black leather rosette on sle...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- New VERSACE BLACK TULLE and LEATHER DRESS 40 - 4By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE This dress has a tulle bodysuit and leather skirt back zip Silver-tone Medusa hardware Long sleeve Content: 94% nylon, 6% elastane lining: 96% rayon, 4% elastane l...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Pre-Fall 2019 look # 57 VERSACE MULTI COLOR LOVE PRINT LONG DRESS 38 - 2By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Love Versace printed dress Meet the dress you'll love to love Constructed from black silk this Versace number is literally named after ...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- S/2019 Look # 43 VERSACE SILK SATIN DRAPED DRESS as seen on Emily 40 - 4By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Black silk satin draped dress from Versace featuring spaghetti straps, a draped design, a flared style and a side slit. Content: 100% S...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- 1980s Navy Blue Silk Chiffon Couture Ruched Long Sleeve Vintage 80s Gown DressLocated in San Diego, CAIncredible late 11980s navy blue silk chiffon couture quality long sleeve evening gown ! The perfect alternative to black. Features a boned sweetheart bodice. Flower appliqué at left...Category
1980s Evening Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery