- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO moss green cable knit sweater dress
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Oakland, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Now renowned for chic womenswear as well as luxury leather handbags that are often recognized for their iconic gold-tone fastening and hardware, French fashion house Celine got its start in children’s shoes.
In 1945, Céline Vipiana and her husband, Richard, opened a made-to-measure shoe shop for children at 52 rue de Malte in Paris. Designer Céline’s name graced the business, alongside a red elephant designed by French cartoonist Raymond Peynet that served as the company’s first logo. In 1967, following an expansion into women’s shoes and leather accessories, the Vipianas decided to expand their company’s reach into women’s ready-to-wear, focusing on high-end sportswear. Céline Vipiana, who remained chief designer until her death in 1997, would oversee a range of fashion that would reach an international audience with a pared-down elegance and timeless style.
The company quickly achieved widespread success with its new offerings, most notably its trench coat, which became a staple for the brand. In the 1970s, they expanded outside Paris with boutiques in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills and Hong Kong. In 1973, Céline Vipiana, inspired by chain links around the Arc de Triomphe, debuted the Blazon Chaîne motif of interlocking C’s. She began using it on a printed canvas and branding as well as accents on accessories, such as the Triomphe bag.
Vipiana’s designs were created to appeal as everyday fashion: Celine skirts, suits, fitted shirts, vests and coats were stylish but rooted in practicality. Quality, too, was paramount; Vipiana’s determination to deliver the best possible leather led to the opening of a studio in Florence, where the brand created its leather goods.
Vipiana died a year after her brand was acquired by Bernard Arnault’s luxury conglomerate LVMH for about $540 million. American designer Michael Kors then took the helm as creative director. Kors, too, was known for practical but chic ready-to-wear. He introduced such luxury staples as cashmere sets, smartly tailored pants and simple slip dresses, plus themed collections around jet-setter locales like Monte Carlo and Tahiti. Following Kors’s departure in 2004, onetime Burberry designer Roberto Menichetti took the job for just a year. He was followed by designer Phoebe Philo, the young British designer who is now credited with establishing Celine’s 21st-century style.
Philo created a distinct, minimal style that channeled the brand’s roots of practical simplicity with luxury materials. (“I just thought I’d clean it up,” she quipped of her debut collection in 2010.) Over the course of ten years, Philo turned the company into a beloved fixture of the fashion industry. In 2018, after Philo’s departure, the house tapped Hedi Slimane, former creative director of Yves Saint Laurent, as its new leader; he caused a stir when he famously removed the accent from the brand name. Controversial though it was, Slimane maintained it was a return to the label’s roots: an exercise in strong simplicity.
Find vintage Celine day dresses, handbags and other items on 1stDibs.
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO diagonally ribbed burgundy cashmere sweaterBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CADiagonally ribbed, burgundy cashmere sweater with split cuffs designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine. Size M but also fits a S. Approximate measurements (unstretched): shoulder 15.5", c...Category
2010s Italian Pullovers
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO black cashmere turtleneck sweater with underarm cutoutsBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CABlack and off-white fuzzy cashmere stand-up collar jumper from Celine features a high standing collar, long sleeves with cutouts under arms, a chunky knit and a straight hem. Sweater...Category
2010s Italian Pullovers
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO rust cashmere cardiganBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CADark rust cashmere cardigan designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine. Size 'M'. Approximate measurements: (unstretched): shoulders 18", bust 42", arm length 25" and overall length 27". C...Category
2010s Italian Cardigans
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO marled dark grey sweater with patch pocket and split sideBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CADark-grey marled wool and yak sweater with patch pockets, open sides and ribbed trim designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine. French size XS however this has an oversized fit. Approximat...Category
2010s Italian Pullovers
- 2014 CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO boucle knit runway sweaterBy Phoebe Philo, CelineLocated in San Fransisco, CAGrey marled boucle knit sweater with asymmetrical snap closure designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine exactly as seen on the 2014 runway. Labeled a French size 38. Approximate measureme...Category
2010s French Pullovers
- CELINE by PHOEBE PHILO oversized navy sweater with red stripeBy Celine, Phoebe PhiloLocated in San Fransisco, CAOversized navy blue wool and yak sweater with side slits and turn-up cuffs trimmed in red designed by Phoebe Philo for Celine. Size S. Fits many sizes due to the oversized cut. Appr...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Pullovers
- Phoebe Philo for Chloe 2005 Wool Cardigan Sweater UnwornBy Chloé, Phoebe PhiloLocated in Chicago, ILIncredible 2005 Chloe sweater Designed by Phoebe Philo This closes down the front with hooks 100% wool Excellent unworn condition Labeled size Large but it’s smaller that a larg...Category
Early 2000s European Sweaters
- Vintage 1970s PIERRE CARDIN Mod Knit Belted DressBy Pierre Cardin Paris, Pierre CardinLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1970s PIERRE CARDIN Mod Knit Belted Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 18.11 inches (46 cm) Sleeves: 24.40 inches (62 cm) Bust...Category
1970s French Casual Dresses
- Krizia Iconic Vintage Animal Print Oversized Knit Sweater DressBy Krizia Maglia, KriziaLocated in Sparks, NVIconic Krizia oversized knit tunic or jumper in animal print. Details: Unlined No Closure/ Fabric Contains Stretch Marked Size: 44 Color: Burnt Umber/ Black/ White/ Copper ...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Pullovers
- 1970s Oscar de la Renta Vintage Knit Sweater Top, Skirt + Belt Dress EnsembleBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Sparks, NVAmazing vintage 1970s knit sweater top, skirt and knit tie belt by Oscar de la Renta. The top is unlined with no closure (pulls on over the head). The bust measures 33-36" (unstretch...Category
1970s American Pullovers
- 1970's Halston Cream Colored Scottish Cashmere Sweater DressBy HalstonLocated in New Hope, PAHalston designed this super soft and extra comfortable cashmere dress in the 1970's. It has a band collar and three buttons at the center front, and single buttons on the cuffs. It...Category
1970s American Day Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Sweater with Belt 1990sBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous rust orange striped wool sweater from Jean Paul Gaultier. It has long sleeves, a standup collar with functional silver buttons closure along it's side and one shoulder and...Category
1990s Italian Pullovers