Courreges 1960s Color Block Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: XS, S (US)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)Hip: 40 in (101.6 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 33 in (83.82 cm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Seller Location:Water Mill, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5114712051
Revolutionary couturier André Courrèges made a name for himself on the buzzy Paris fashion scene of the 1960s with audacious Space Age designs that pointed to the future. The world of haute couture credits him with toppling the conservative standards assigned to feminine clothing back then and propelling a movement that celebrated a more revealing brand of women's attire — including chic miniskirts, his iconic white ankle boots and often whimsical dresses with necklines that turned heads.
While vintage André Courrèges suits, jackets and other apparel garnered the designer ample praise, he wasn’t confined to producing clothing. He is also widely revered for creating some of the era’s most stylish accessories, like his offbeat, goggles-esque sunglasses and distinctive scarves, which boasted lively patterns and an alluring range of Pop art colors and pastels.
Born in the French Pyrenees, Courrèges wanted to become an artist at an early age, but his father steered him into engineering. Though successful as an engineer, Courrèges pivoted to fashion. He moved to Paris and worked briefly for couturiere Jeanne Lafaurie. In 1948, he took a job with Cristóbal Balenciaga, and within a couple of years, he had ascended to the role of Balenciaga’s first assistant.
While working for Balenciaga, Courrèges met dressmaker Coqueline Barrière, whom he would later marry. In 1961, the couple established their own fashion house, where they collaborated as creative partners for the remainder of the designer’s life.
Courrèges was among the designers who ushered in the rise of ready-to-wear. He favored figure-hugging silhouettes and geometric shapes, and looked to the work of architect Le Corbusier — a like-minded proponent of simplicity and clean lines. Alongside innovators such as Mary Quant, Paco Rabanne and Pierre Cardin — the latter's futuristic looks were catnip for the free-spending consumers of the postwar years — Courrèges explored ways to outfit women with comfortable everyday wear, working with forward-looking materials such as plastic and polyvinyl chloride in his unadorned dresses of stark white. Mexican socialite and Harper’s Bazaar editor Gloria Guinness, pop star Françoise Hardy and former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy were among some notable names to wear Courrèges originals.
By the mid-1960s, Courrèges had risen to the top of his industry, and there were many imitators. He took strict control of production at his namesake label, only allowing distribution through licensed sellers. He and Coqueline sold off part of the company in 1968 to L'Oreal, and by the early 1970s, Courrèges had more than 100 boutiques worldwide, also expanding into fragrances and menswear. In 1983, the couple restored themselves to full ownership of the company and in 2011 sold the company to French advertising executives Jacques Bungert and Frédéric Torloting. Artémis, which controls the global luxury group Kering, acquired a minority stake in the Courrèges brand in 2015 and took full control three years later.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Robert Rodriguez Silk Dress with Large FlowerBy Robert RodriguezLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous mint green silk dress by Robert Rodriguez. It has spaghetti straps and lots of diagonal seaming leading to a large petal flower compri...Category
Early 2000s American Day Dresses
- Gianni Versace Net Shoulders Bodycon DressBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous rich purple dress from Gianni Versace Couture. It is semi fitted, sleeveless with a scoop neckline and matching purple mesh insets at the shoulders. The dress is fully lin...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Norma Kamali Omo Dress 1980sBy Norma KamaliLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful turquoise jersey dress from Norma Kamali's Omo collection. It is sleeveless with a V neckline, hip pockets and the skirt narrows towards the hem. It has a matching side ...Category
1980s American Day Dresses
- Christian Dior Couture Numbered Gown 1970sBy Christian Dior, Mark BohanLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful blue silk charmeuse numbered couture gown from Christian Dior. The body of the floor length dress is gathered onto the square top stitched enhanced neckline front and bac...Category
1970s French Maxi Dresses
- Pierre Cardin 1960s Silk DressBy Pierre CardinLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous 1960's silk dress from Pierre Cardin in a brightly colored abstract print in blues, green, fuchsia and white. It has semi sheer full sleeves which gather at the wrists. Th...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
- Thierry Mugler Flower Silk Ruched Dress 1980sBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Water Mill, NYA brightly colored flower pattern silk dress from Thierry Mugler in blues, greens, pinks and yellow. It has a V neck, 3/4 length sleeves and snaps along the center front of the horizontally ruched bodice. It has is a back half belt with a blue buckle...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Thierry Mugler 1980s Blue Cut Out Vintage Body Con 80s Dress Size 44By Thierry MuglerLocated in San Diego, CASexy late 80s THIERRY MUGLER blue cut-out bod con dress ! Features a form fitting stretch rayon fabric with cut-out above the bust and under. Hidden zipper up the back with hook-and-...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- ALEXANDER McQueen KNIT BLUE DRESS size XSBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Montgomery, TXAlexander McQueen Alexander McQueen Knit Blue Original dress made in knitting in blue color with detail in black and white lines. Tank top m...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- ROSANNA MANZONI Size 10 Blue Silk Lace Shift Cocktail DressLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage ROSANNA MANZONI per L'ETICHETTA sleeveless shift dress comes in blue silk lace with a round boat neckline, thick waistband, and beige satin lin...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- 1950 Philip Hulitar Azure Silk Damask Halter Cocktail Dress & Jacket EnsembleBy Philip HulitarLocated in Gresham, ORA beautiful 1950s azure silk brocade halter cocktail sheath dress and jacket ensemble attributed to Philip Hulitar with no labels present. Low-cut back and back zipper. Fully lined. ...Category
1950s American Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Moroccan Designer Kaftan Turquoise Maxi Dress Kaftan SmallLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant vintage designer Moroccan turquoise blue kaftan, embroidered with turquoise and white trim. This chic Gypsy Bohemian maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished with a blue and white trim. One of a kind evening Moroccan Middle Eastern gown. Vintage exotic 1970s floral blue brocade dress kaftan handmade in North Africa, Morocco. Size Small. Dress measurement flat: Shoulder: 16" Sleeve: 22" Chest: 18" Hip: 22" Total length: 52" Handcrafted by Moroccan artist designer, this is a one of a kind caftan, inspired by the tales of princess of the Arabian Nights. The Kaftan is a long and wide tunic, collarless, long-sleeved, worn by man and women in Africa and the Middle East. The Moroccan kaftans inspired European and global designers as Yves Saint Laurent, Valentino, and many more who made the Moorish caftans...Category
20th Century Moroccan Caftans
- Gucci Blue Geometric-pattern Jacquard Shirt Dress size MBy GucciLocated in Brossard, QCFollow us on Insta @runwaycatalog Epilogue was conceived as the final act of the story of leaving behind fashion’s old rules, and reveals all of the elements that have guided the Gu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Maxi Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery