Gianni Versace New Leather Dress with Chain Trim 1990s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: S, M (US)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 29 in (73.66 cm)Hip: 36 in (91.44 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 40 in (101.6 cm)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Seller Location:Water Mill, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5116589622
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Gucci New Silk Dress with Cut outs and HardwareBy Gucci, Frida GianniniLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black silk jersey dress from Gucci. It has a simple neckline, long zipper cuff sleeves and cut outs at a shoulder and side waist plus a front slit in the straight skirt. The skirt slit and shoulder cut out are highlighted with gold metal Gucci embossed...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Pierre Balmain One Sleeve Dress with Cut outsBy Balmain, Pierre BalmainLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black bodycon bandage dress from Pierre Balmain. It has one sleeve and a series of diamond shaped cut outs from under the bust to the hips on one side. The skirt is stra...Category
2010s French Day Dresses
- 1970s Leonard Silk Tie Neck Color Block Maxi DressBy LeonardLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful jersey maxi dress from Leonard, Paris. The silk bodice is in an abstract blues and off white pattern with large flowers. It has ties at the neck and semi sheer full bill...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
- Lanvin Designer Antonio Castillo 1950s Geometric Skirt DressLocated in Water Mill, NYAntonio Castillo was one of the most prominent couturiers to come out of Paris in the 1940s and joined the house of Lanvin in 1950. This is a stunning black fine wool dress with cou...Category
1950s French Day Dresses
- Gianni Versace Color Block Dress 1980sBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous dress from Gianni Versace Couture in black light weight wool and green silk. It is semi fitted with fold back cuffs with elaborate cufflinks and inset shoulders all in br...Category
1980s Italian Day Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana Silk One Sleeve Lace up DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black silk jersey dress from Dolce & Gabbana. The fitted dress has one sleeve and intricate functional adjustable lacing along the top of the sleeve from wrist to shoulder...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Lace and Crinkle Pleat Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black dress featuring lace at upper bodice and skirt of crinkle pleated silk. Cream mesh straps, raw edge at hem. Back zip and hook and eye with snaps at bottom zip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Mesh Bow Knit DressBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAMoschino Cheap & Chic 2000s black sleeveless knit dress with cut-out bow shape at chest in black mesh. Back zip. 86% rayon, 9% polyamide, 5% other. Unlined. Made in Hungary. Label...Category
Early 2000s Hungarian Casual Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen 2009 Wool Black and White Houndstooth Dogtooth Check DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress in the black and white houndstooth wool that became so iconic from the Fall 2009 Horn of Plenty c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Silk Sleeveless Midi Cocktail Dress with Lace TrimBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk dress from the 2005 Hitchcock inspired collection 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' which channeled Tippi Hedren and Marilyn Monroe. Fitted midi length silhou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Black Gold Accent Pocket Front Maxi Wrap Dress GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Lacroix vintage black full length wrap dress with gold embellishment at one strap. Fastens closed at other strap and wraps with belt and snap at waist. Patch pockets at fr...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
- Vintage 1969 Mila Schön Italian Couture Black Purple Wool Mod Target Coat DressBy Mila SchonLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn important and truly stunning Mila Schön Couture black and purple mod coat dress dating back to her 1968-69 fall/winter collection. She was living in Milan with her husband when sh...Category
1960s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses