Issey Miyake Graphic Black White Pleated Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Width: 38 in (96.52 cm)Length: 50 in (127 cm)Bust: 38 in (96.52 cm)
- Style:art deco (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:Japan
- Material Notes:pleated polyester
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. mannequin us size 2-4.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU469191342
From the prismatic Pleats Please collection to the modular, three-dimensional garments crafted from recycled plastic bottles in his Reality Lab, the captivating fashions by Japanese designer Issey Miyake are all about movement.
Born in Hiroshima, Miyake studied graphic design at Tama Art University in Tokyo before relocating to Paris in 1965, where he studied couture and cut his teeth working for Guy Laroche and Hubert de Givenchy. In 1969, he moved to New York, where he worked for Geoffrey Beene. He returned to Tokyo in 1970 to found his first solo venture, the Miyake Design Studio. It wasn’t until the 1990s, though, that the designer had his breakthrough moment with experimentations in pleating. Some of his earliest explorations were for choreographer William Forsythe’s Frankfurt Ballet Company, with the 1991 performance of The Loss of Small Detail featuring costumes Miyake designed with pleats that complemented and transformed the movement of the dancers.
Though long a staple in couture — from delicate women’s skirts to men’s suit pants — pleats took on new life in Miyake’s hands. By using a heat press to cure his fabrics after his garments are stitched, Miyake was able to maintain the accordion structure of the pleat, turning a series of folds into sculptural, often futuristic forms unbound by the shape of the human body. In 1993, Miyake debuted “garment pleating” in his Pleats Please line, in which the clothes are constructed at a size that is larger than what is intended for the finished product. The pleats are then created — a process that involves folding and ironing and is separate from the joining of seams — and individual pieces are subsequently hand-fed into a heat press. The pleats are permanent and the garments can be worn and washed without losing their shape.
Miyake’s pleats run the gamut in scale, which enabled him to evoke dramatic, sharp silhouettes and flowy movements in equal measure. In essence, he created an entirely new material whose iterations are infinite — a feat of technology as much as fashion.
Other innovations include Miyake’s 1997 Just Before collection, which introduced a series of tube-knit dresses that could be cut as desired, reducing both work and resources. His Reality Lab now investigates new materials, such as a fully recycled polyester. Miyake’s prowess, in fact, captured another iconic figure in the tech world: Steve Jobs, for whom the designer made hundreds of identical black turtlenecks, the late Apple founder’s sartorial signature.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Kristyna Kitsis Matte Jersey Peekaboo Scarf Point Dress, UKLocated in New York, NYAmazing Kristyna Kitsis Rayon Matte Jersey Peekaoo Scarf Point Dress, UK from the 1980's. Unusual design with open portholes at hip level with sheer scarves piped in grey attached to each opening which form a multiple knife point hem. Designer Kristyna Kitsis now specializes in custom latex couture with her line Ectomorph, but this is one of her rare early matte jersey club dresses...Category
1980s British Cocktail Dresses
- Deco Shadow Print Chiffon Cherries DressLocated in New York, NYSilk chiffon dress from the 1930s with an unusual cut and modern presence. Oversized kimono sleeves fall from a yoke and are loosely gathered and float over the the dress in an unusu...Category
Early 20th Century American Art Deco Day Dresses
- Mariano Fortuny Black Silk Peplos GownBy FortunyLocated in New York, NYThis dress is made of finely pleated black colored silk with silk cording along side seams,shoulders and tunic hem with matte frosted colored glass beads threaded through the cordin...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Greek Style Dresses
- Mariano Fortuny Black Delphos GownBy FortunyLocated in New York, NYThis dress is made of finely pleated black colored silk with silk cording along side seams, and multicolored glass beads threaded through the cording. Named after a Greek classi...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Delphos Gowns
- Mariano Fortuny Black Peplos GownBy FortunyLocated in New York, NYThis dress is made of finely pleated black colored silk with silk cording along side seams,shoulders and tunic hem with multicolored glass beads threaded through the cording. The...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Peplos
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Lace and Crinkle Pleat Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black dress featuring lace at upper bodice and skirt of crinkle pleated silk. Cream mesh straps, raw edge at hem. Back zip and hook and eye with snaps at bottom zip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Mesh Bow Knit DressBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAMoschino Cheap & Chic 2000s black sleeveless knit dress with cut-out bow shape at chest in black mesh. Back zip. 86% rayon, 9% polyamide, 5% other. Unlined. Made in Hungary. Label...Category
Early 2000s Hungarian Casual Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen 2009 Wool Black and White Houndstooth Dogtooth Check DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress in the black and white houndstooth wool that became so iconic from the Fall 2009 Horn of Plenty c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Silk Sleeveless Midi Cocktail Dress with Lace TrimBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk dress from the 2005 Hitchcock inspired collection 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' which channeled Tippi Hedren and Marilyn Monroe. Fitted midi length silhou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Unworn Alexander McQueen Cape Back Black and Red Floral Poppy Print Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk crepe dress with red poppy floral print. Sweeping back cape is attached at the side seams. Short sleeve with a wide ruffle hem. Back zip is concealed by ...Category
2010s Italian Casual Dresses
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Black Gold Accent Pocket Front Maxi Wrap Dress GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Lacroix vintage black full length wrap dress with gold embellishment at one strap. Fastens closed at other strap and wraps with belt and snap at waist. Patch pockets at fr...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses