- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Martin Margiela Lighting Skyline Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 33 in (83.82 cm)Bust: 36 in (91.44 cm)Waist: 36 in (91.44 cm)Hip: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:67% Rayon, 33% cotton
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Dress will be shipped pressed.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU462064193
Maison Martin Margiela
Belgian designer Martin Margiela (b. 1957) — whose life, career, clothing designs and vintage shoes have become cult-collector obsessions — pushed those who attended his shows outside their comfort zones. In the years following his maison's 1988 debut, he toyed with creative and aesthetic paradoxes that persist in fashion today.
Consider the Spring/Summer 2001 shirt patchworked from vintage clothing labels, or his famous corset dresses made from tailoring dummies, from his Fall/Winter 1997 line. Or his oversize collection for Fall/Winter 2000. In 1992, Margiela told Dépêche Mode magazine, “My clothes appeal to women of a certain mindset rather than of a specific age or physique.”
Born in Genk, Belgium, in 1957, Margiela knew he wanted to be a fashion designer after catching glimpses of Parisian fashion on TV as a child. Although his parents discouraged this career choice as an oddly funny aspiration, Margiela enrolled in the fashion program of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. There, he befriended and graduated a year ahead of the Antwerp Six — the acclaimed group of Belgian fashion designers comprising Dries Van Noten, Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Marina Yee, Dirk Bikkembergs and Dirk Van Saene.
Like many of his contemporaries in the 1980s, Margiela understood Paris fashion but felt a deep resonance with the deconstructed beauty espoused by Japanese designers Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo, of Comme des Garçons. Margiela’s fascination with Japan influenced many of his earliest collections and designs, from a dress pieced together from broken plates to his iconic Tabi boots, inspired by the split-toe Japanese worker’s shoe, which dates back to the 15th century. He decided to launch his own line while working for renowned Paris designer Jean Paul Gaultier.
Margiela, Gaultier has often stated, was his best assistant. Even then, the 2019 film Martin Margiela: In His Own Words suggests, he was acutely aware of the widening gulf between the art and the business of fashion.
Margiela’s debut show was nothing short of spectacular. Set in a packed Café de la Gare in the still-seedy Marais district, it was also scandalous to the Parisian fashion set of the time. The designer tore up the conventions of contemporary couture presentations, most notably having his models, plucked from the streets and wearing ink-blotted Tabis, wend their way through the crowd. The show redefined the concept of the runway in a way that would later inspire such designers as Alexander McQueen and Demna Gvasalia.
While the notoriously private designer retired from fashion in 2009, for many Maison Martin Margiela collectors, his pieces capture the irreverence of the postwar, post-punk late 1980s and ’90s. Katy Rodriguez, cofounder of the cult vintage fashion shop Resurrection, is among those who felt a connection to Margiela’s clothing in the subliminal challenges it posed to the time’s beauty norms.
“Growing up in San Francisco and coming out of the end of punk rock, not wanting to be objectified, not wanting to be seen as a sexual object, not wanting your value to be just because you’re pretty — all those clothes played into all of that,” she says. “It really was a reflection of the kind of world the young people I knew at the time wanted to live in.”
Find vintage Maison Martin Margiela boots, evening dresses, jackets and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Margiela Bat Wing Silk Crepe TunicBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in New York, NYGreat Margiela batwing silk crepe tunic/top with tonal blue abstract figurals on navy ground. Boat neckline. Early collection.
1990s French Mini DressesChloe by Lagerfeld Printed Silk Crepe Culotte SetBy Karl Lagerfeld for ChloeLocated in New York, NYLovely Chloe by Lagerfeld Silk Crepe Culotte Set from the late 1970's. Printed Bateau neck full T shirt with full gathered skirt which are actual...Category
1970s French Trouser Pant SuitsArt Deco Print Afternoon DressLocated in New York, NYArt Deco silk crepe afternoon dress. Printed "a disposition" in a Poiret inspired floral asymmetrical landscape on a black ground with floral deta...Category
1920s French Day DressesPierre Cardin Op Art Scarf Hem DressBy Pierre CardinLocated in New York, NYUnusual Pierre Cardin Op Art Scarf Hem Dress in hyponotic rayon georgette print. A simple sleeveless sheath has dozens of scarves applied at hip level to ...Category
1970s French Day DressesGeoffrey Beene Sillk Crepe Baby Doll DressBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in New York, NYGeoffrey Beene Sillk Crepe Baby Doll Dress trimmed in tulle. Print of white stars and moons on black silk ground with polka dot tulle ruffle edge. L...Category
1980s American Babydoll Day DressesDDDominick Silk Seersucker DressLocated in New York, NYLovely DDDominick Black Silk Seersucker versatile summer dress, simply cut with ruffled trim on collar and armholes and a 2 button placket. Pull on style with a very full cut which falls from the yokes on front and back. Dress can be worn loose or belted as well. Wonderfully lightweight, crisp silk seersucker fabric. 1980's USA. Size 10 Vintage...Category
1980s Day Dresses
- Maison Martin Margiela Belted Straight PantBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Laguna Beach, CAThese elegant cream-colored straight leg pants from Maison Martin Margiela are belted, with opposing buckles that secure with a wrap-around strap. Two front seam pockets.Category
Early 2000s Italian Flat Front Pants$372 Sale Price50% Off
- Maison Martin Margiela Draped Jersey TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Oakland, CAMaison Martin Margiela Pale Pink top. Longer tunic length. Draped shoulder to back. Stretchy jersey hugs hips. Exaggerated sleeve length.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Tunics
- Martin Margiela Artisanal distressed denim jacketBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Austin, TXMartin Margiela Artisanal distressed denim jacket. Size M Condition: Very GoodCategory
1990s Italian Jackets
- Comme des Garcons Sweater AD 2008By Junya Watanabe, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Water Mill, NYA grey fine wool sweater from Junya Watanabe for Comme des Garcons CDG A/D 2008 collection. It has a turtleneck, long sleeves and curved front panels that meet in the center closing...Category
Early 2000s Japanese Pullovers
- Martin Margiela New Strapless Color Block DressBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous light taupe silk and black net strapless gown from Martin Margiela top line collection. It falls in an A line from top to hem- taupe down to the mid calf then black netti...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Maison Martin Margiela Margiela Artisanal Black Velvet TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Maison Martin Margiela artisanal black velvet top made from a skirt pattern. The sleeveless top ...Category
Early 2000s French Sleeveless Shirts
- MADELEINE VIONNET c.1924 “Little Horses” Soft Green Glass Beaded Flapper DressBy Madeleine VionnetLocated in Thiensville, WIMADELEINE VIONNET c.1924 “Little Horses” Soft Green White Glass Beaded Flapper Dress Circa: 1924 Designer: Madeleine Vionnet Style: Flapper drop waist dress Color(s): Shades of green, gray, and white Lined: No Unmarked Fabric Content (feel of): Silk; glass (beading, rhinestones) Additional Details / Inclusions: Madeleine Vionnet design soft green “Little Horses” beaded flapper dress. Sleeveless dress with scooped neckline; scooped back. Silk crepe fabric cut on bias...Category
1920s Evening Dresses$12,536 Sale Price40% Off
- Comme des Garcons Asymmetric Victorian Flair Bustle Dress Westwood InspirationBy Comme des GarçonsLocated in Los Angeles, CARei Kawakubo for Comme des Garcons high concept creation with Victorian flair. Most likely inspired by Vivienne Westwood's wench style dresses. Asymmetric heavy cotton dress ext...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
- 1970s Vintage Black Floral Chiffon 2 Pc Mini Or Long Dress w Tiers & RufflesLocated in Portland, ORThis is a vintage 1970's two piece sheer dress with tiers and ruffles! It has three tiers on top, and the hem tier is connected to a black slip that is separate from the top dress. ...Category
1970s American Day Dresses
- Maison Martin Margiela Spring-Summer 1995 navy blue knitted sweater sack bagBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBMaison Martin Margiela Spring-Summer 1995 navy blue knitted sweater sack bag - handmade - vintage v-neck knitted sweater reconstructed into a cross body sack bag - very rare item...Category
1990s French Shoulder Bags
- Martin Margiela Silk and Lambkin Leather Glove Dress Rare New!By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Los Angeles, CAMartin Margiela dress fashioned of black silk crepe with soft lambskin saddle color leather at shoulders with attached black leather zipper long gloves. Asymmetricallyl draped and pl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Day Dresses
- MARGIELA Black Rayon DressBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Margiela Black Rayon dress with interesting sleeves. Marked size 40 Bust: 34 inch / Waist 26 inch - 32 inch / hip 36 inch / Dress Length: ...Category
1990s Belgian Day Dresses
- Maison Martin Margiela 2011 Black Dress with Tan Leather SleevesBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in New York, NYMaison Martin Margiela Black Dress with Tan Leather Sleeves. Dress is in excellent condition ...except one pen mark on the leather sleeve phot...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- Martin Margiela Wool Neck Dress Body Piece Circa 2000By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Berlin, DEMaison Martin Margiela knit body piece from circa 2000. Destroyed neck line, side open with hooks. One size.Category
1990s Belgian Day Dresses
- Martin Margiella Simple Little Black Dress (40)By Martin Margiella, Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Port Hope, ONLovely viscose dress with contrasting cotton trim at the v-neck and cuffs. This 3/4 sleeved dress is simple but elegant with a slight cocoon shape bottom. There is also the design...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses$275 Sale Price30% Off
- MM6 Maison Martin Margiela Black Satin Jumpsuit sleeveless Tie backBy MM6 Maison Margiela, Maison Martin MargielaLocated in North Hollywood, CAMM6 Tie back Maison Martin Margiela Black Jumpsuit sleeveless. MM6 by Maison Martin Margiela Satin Sleeveless Jumpsuit, New with Tag. Black MM6 by Maison Martin Margiella satin strai...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jumpsuits$360 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery