S/S 1991 Gianni Versace Marilyn Monroe James Dean Silk MOD Micro Mini Dress
About the Item
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Yukon, OK
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- S/S 2001 Roberto Cavalli Pink Psychedelic Print Silk Maxi Gown DressBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2001 Roberto Cavalli CONDITION: Fair- discoloration at hem FABRIC: 100% silk COUNTRY: Italy SIZE: M MEASUREMENTS; provi...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dresses
- S/S 1996 Gianni Versace Sheer Pearl Ivory Nylon Bodycon Medusa Logo DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1996 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Good- main label is missing FABRIC: Nylon & Spandex COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 42 MEASUR...Category
1990s Italian Casual Dresses
- 1990's Jean Paul Gaultier Butterfly Embroidered Red & Black Fringe Wrap DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1990's Jean Paul Gaultier CONDITION: Good- one tiny faint mark- please see last photo FABRIC: 100% Acetate COUNTRY MADE: It...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dresses
- F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Sheer White Asymmetrical Halter Mini DressBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford CONDITION: Good- Lining was removed and tags were re-attached. FABRIC: Viscose & Spandex COUNTR...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- F/W 1993 Gianni Versace Black & White Vertical Stripes Sheer Silk Long DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 1993 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Good- faint mark - very minor- see last photo FABRIC: Silk & Spandex COUNTRY MADE: Italy...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dresses
- S/S 2005 Look 44 Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Black Cut-out Draped Fringe DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2005 Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Look #44 CONDITION: Good- light wear- no holes or stains! FABRIC: 100% rayon COUNTRY MAD...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Azzedine Alaia black white polka dot sleeveless flare babydoll mini dress FR 36By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Paris, FRAzzedine Alaia sleeveless flared dress in black with white polka dot print Fitted upper which extends into a flared full skirt Concealed back zip Size: FR 36 with plenty of stretch...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior Resort 2018 brown cream floral print corset bustier midi dressBy Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior Resort 2018 Cream midi length dress with brown floral print Boned corset upper with underwire cups Button up front which is f...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses
- Oscar de la Renta 2007 Runway Look Brown Ruffle Trim Sun DressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in San Francisco, CAOscar de la Renta brown pencil dress with raw edged ruffle trim. Grosgrain trim circles the bodice. Boned at bodice for shape. Back zip and hook and eye. Seen in another color in L...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Casual Dresses
- Adolfo 1970s Three Piece Red and Metallic Midi or Maxi Skirt and Tank Dress SetBy AdolfoLocated in San Francisco, CAThree piece vintage Adolfo burgundy red and metallic floral brocade skirt(s) and top set, circa 1970s- 80s, ensures you're set for any occasion! Pair the the bodice with the long ski...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses
- Richard Tyler Couture Autumn Floral Printed Silk Chiffon DressBy Richard Tyler Couture, Richard TylerLocated in New Hope, PARichard Tyler has chosen an interesting micro pleated autumnal silk chiffon for this chic cocktail dress. This gives the dress enough room to just slip on over your head. It has a ro...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 1970s Ossie Clark 'Autumn Leaves' Print Cotton Empire Waist Plunge DressBy Ossie ClarkLocated in Beverly Hills, CAEnglish fashion designer, Raymond Ossie Clark, was a leading light in the London "swinging sixties" fashion era and is now renowned for his romanti...Category
1970s English Aesthetic Day Dresses