F/W 1988 Azzedine Alaia Runway Sheer Black Cut-Out or Cross Front Mini Dress
About the Item
Master Couturier, King of Cling: legendary fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa (1935–2017) is known by many names, each referring to his unparalleled ability to mold fabric onto the female form in unexpected and radical ways. The Tunisian-born designer spent his entire life in relentless pursuit of a wholly distinctive and most-flattering fit.
“For me, fashion is the body,” said Alaïa. “I make clothes; women make fashion.”
Alaïa is credited with inventing the supermodel through his exclusive fashion shows, the body-con dress — which, quite literally, hugs the body and emphasizes and embraces every curve — and pioneering what industry professionals have taken to calling “slow fashion.” The designer openly rejected empty, of-the-moment fads as well as the structure of biannual seasons and instead took his time, unhurried by press and releasing collections at his own pace. Most importantly, Alaïa was a visionary when it came to traditional notions of femininity and sexuality. At a time when loose, soft silhouettes were the norm, Alaïa’s sexy, waist-cinching hourglass and body-con outfits were shocking.
Alaïa’s “body-conscious clothes,” wrote fashion critic Suzy Menkes, “seemed a deliberate challenge — throwing down a sexist gauntlet in a feminist world.”
While powerful women such as Madonna, Michelle Obama, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington wear Alaïa’s creations today, his origins were remarkably humble.
Born to a farming family, Alaïa always had a creative streak. As a young boy, he would flip through women’s fashion magazines and quickly became interested in the design of women's clothing. He went on to study sculpture at the School of Fine Arts in Tunis and later worked as a tailor for a dressmaker before he found work creating garments based on Parisian haute couture designs. The combination of his classical training in sculpture and practical experience as a tailor convinced Alaïa that fashion was his calling. In 1957, he moved to Paris and worked for Christian Dior for less than a week before being fired. From there, Alaïa secured a job with Guy Laroche and opened his own maison in the 1970s.
At his core, Alaïa was a couturier who cut and sewed his samples himself. He also experimented with zips, seams, unexpected materials, textures, animal prints and floral patterns like an artist. Today, Alaïa’s clothes look untouched by the passage of time and the various trends that have materialized since their debut; they are as fresh, stylish and stunning as ever. His garments are pop-culture icons in their own right: Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone in 1995’s Clueless, exasperated with a perpetrator holding her at gunpoint, declares, “But this is an Alaïa!”
Vintage Alaïa evening dresses, skirts and other attire continue to influence contemporary designers such as Nicolas Ghesquière and Hervé Léger. Not only are his clothes timeless in their glamour, but they also represent the groundbreaking vision of an artist, one who was known to proclaim, “I am not a designer. I am a couturier.”
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Yukon, OK
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Vintage S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Red Velvet Chain Strap Backless DressBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway- second photo is Kate Moss wearing the dress in Harpers Bazaar CONDITION: Good- The origi...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Unworn F/W 1999 Dolce & Gabbana Runway Sheer Black Silk & Lace Long Cape DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 1999 Dolce & Gabbana Runway CONDITION: Pristine- Unworn! FABRIC: Silk COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 42- but as it ties shut...Category
1990s Italian Capes
- 2003 Christian Dior by John Galliano Black Plunging Extra High Slit Gown DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 2003 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Good MATERIAL: Acetate & Viscose COUNTRY MADE: France SIZE: 38 MEASUREMENTS...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses
- F/W 2004 Runway Atelier Versace Black Sheer Mesh Cut Out Studs Beaded Gown DressBy Donatella Versace, Atelier VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 2004 Atelier Versace CONDITION: Excellent MATERIAL: 99% silk 1% nylon COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 40- runs small MEASUREM...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
- S/S 2004 Christian Dior John Galliano Black 20's Style Drop Waist Silk DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2004 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Good- no holes or stains FABRIC: Silk COUNTRY: France SIZE: F-38 MEASUR...Category
Early 2000s French Mini Dresses
- S/S 1991 Gianni Versace Marilyn Monroe James Dean Silk MOD Micro Mini DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1991 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Excellent FABRIC: Silk COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 46- A-line MOD 60's style body so fits ...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- Versace Spring 06 blue brown leather silk sleeveless bustier midi dress IT 38By VersaceLocated in Paris, FRVersace Spring 2006 Navy blue bustier dress with brown ribbon print Leather & suede braiding over mesh to the bust and straps Falls below the knee F...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Art Deco Gold Sequins Black Silk TopLocated in Amsterdam, NLWe offer more special vintage sequins items, view our frontstore Details: Black top embroidered with beads and color seguin's with goldtone in art deco style Lined with 2 shoulderpa...Category
20th Century Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Crystal Studded Show BraLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis bra is embroidered with colored crystals, sequins and fringe We offer more exclusive vintage items, view our frontstore Details: Handmade bra with hard cups Hooks closures at...Category
20th Century Bras
- 2000's John Galliano Black Bias Cut Evening Dress w/Lace Insets & BeltBy John GallianoLocated in Studio City, CA2000's John Galliano black sleeveless bias cut evening dress w/cowl neckline, lace insets and a detachable rhinestone buckle belt that is worn below the waistline. Fabric is an aceta...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Iconic Azzedine Alaia Black Bodycon Trained Gown, 1986By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Studio City, CA1986 F/W Azzedine Alaia black acetate knit floor-length evening gown with stand collar, vertical gathers at the bust that create a unique shoulder detail and an open back in the shap...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Moschino Couture VIP Black Gold Sequin Dress, 1990sBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAOne of Franco Moschino's most iconic designs! Vintage 1990 black dress with gold sequin "VIP" embellishment. Back zip. Dress 55% acetate, 45% rayon. Fully lined in 60% acetate, 40%...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses