Gianni Versace New Dress with Hardware
About the Item
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Valentino Boutique Black and White Beaded DressBy ValentinoLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous off white silk dress completely covered in black and white glass beads from Valentino Boutique. It is sleeveless with a scoop neckline...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Gianni Versace Cut out Back Silk Dress with GrommetsBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous turquoise stretch silk dress by Gianni Versace. From the front is it a simple fitted sleeveless dress. The back is dramatic and detailed in contrast with cut outs at the ...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Mignon Strapless Bustier Dress with Large FlowerBy MignonLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous bustier dress from Mignon in grey and pink silk. It has a boned, ruched front crossing sweetheart cut strapless neckline piped on the edge in 2 shades of light grey. A f...Category
Early 2000s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Tom Ford for Gucci SS 2004 Brown Silk DressBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous rich brown fine stretch silk dress from Tom Ford for Gucci. The dress portion is strapless then it is sheer to the stand up collar at the neck and to the elbows of the dramatic leg of...Category
Early 2000s Italian Day Dresses
- Valentino Silk Jersey Bodycon DressBy ValentinoLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful grey fine silk jersey dress from Valentino. It is sleeveless with a ruched waist and angled ruching across the front of the skirt creating very flattering lines. The bod...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- S/S 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford Plunging One Shoulder Nude/Pink Knit Bodycon DressBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford CONDITION: Good- no holes or stains FABRIC: Rayon & Polyester- very soft and stretchy! COUNTRY M...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Brunello Cucinelli Sport Grey Cotton Strech Day EnsembleBy Brunello CucinelliLocated in Bilbao, ESBrunello Cucinelli Sport Grey Cotton Strech Day Pool Ensemble Strech oversize cardigan and over shirt material: 75% Cotton & 25% Liurex Size Large Made in Italy *Orders welcome all goods are insured and we package all purchases to a high standard PRADERA Fashion Division...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Raffia Knit Crochet Nautical DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Raffia Knit Crochet Nautical Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Bust: 14.17 inches (36 cm) w...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage ROMEO GIGLI Ecru Lace with Wide Belt Long Formal DressBy Romeo GigliLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage ROMEO GIGLI Ecru Lace with Wide Belt Long Formal Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 12.60 i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Bridesmaids Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Trompe L'Oeil Sheer Tuxedo Print Mesh Maxi DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Trompe L'Oeil Sheer Tuxedo Print Mesh Maxi Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.77 inches (35 cm) not stre...Category
1990s French Maxi Dress
- Vintage THIERRY MUGLER Jeweled Cut Out Neckline DressBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage THIERRY MUGLER Jeweled Cut Out Neckline Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery