Iconic Azzedine Alaia Black Bodycon Trained Gown, 1986
About the Item
Master Couturier, King of Cling: legendary fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa (1935–2017) is known by many names, each referring to his unparalleled ability to mold fabric onto the female form in unexpected and radical ways. The Tunisian-born designer spent his entire life in relentless pursuit of a wholly distinctive and most-flattering fit.
“For me, fashion is the body,” said Alaïa. “I make clothes; women make fashion.”
Alaïa is credited with inventing the supermodel through his exclusive fashion shows, the body-con dress — which, quite literally, hugs the body and emphasizes and embraces every curve — and pioneering what industry professionals have taken to calling “slow fashion.” The designer openly rejected empty, of-the-moment fads as well as the structure of biannual seasons and instead took his time, unhurried by press and releasing collections at his own pace. Most importantly, Alaïa was a visionary when it came to traditional notions of femininity and sexuality. At a time when loose, soft silhouettes were the norm, Alaïa’s sexy, waist-cinching hourglass and body-con outfits were shocking.
Alaïa’s “body-conscious clothes,” wrote fashion critic Suzy Menkes, “seemed a deliberate challenge — throwing down a sexist gauntlet in a feminist world.”
While powerful women such as Madonna, Michelle Obama, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington wear Alaïa’s creations today, his origins were remarkably humble.
Born to a farming family, Alaïa always had a creative streak. As a young boy, he would flip through women’s fashion magazines and quickly became interested in the design of women's clothing. He went on to study sculpture at the School of Fine Arts in Tunis and later worked as a tailor for a dressmaker before he found work creating garments based on Parisian haute couture designs. The combination of his classical training in sculpture and practical experience as a tailor convinced Alaïa that fashion was his calling. In 1957, he moved to Paris and worked for Christian Dior for less than a week before being fired. From there, Alaïa secured a job with Guy Laroche and opened his own maison in the 1970s.
At his core, Alaïa was a couturier who cut and sewed his samples himself. He also experimented with zips, seams, unexpected materials, textures, animal prints and floral patterns like an artist. Today, Alaïa’s clothes look untouched by the passage of time and the various trends that have materialized since their debut; they are as fresh, stylish and stunning as ever. His garments are pop-culture icons in their own right: Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone in 1995’s Clueless, exasperated with a perpetrator holding her at gunpoint, declares, “But this is an Alaïa!”
Vintage Alaïa evening dresses, skirts and other attire continue to influence contemporary designers such as Nicolas Ghesquière and Hervé Léger. Not only are his clothes timeless in their glamour, but they also represent the groundbreaking vision of an artist, one who was known to proclaim, “I am not a designer. I am a couturier.”
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Studio City, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Pauline Trigere Black Halter Neck Evening Gown w/Waterfall Hem&Rhinestone DetailBy Pauline TrigèreLocated in Studio City, CAPauline Trigere black halter neck evening gown with waterfall hem and rhinestone sunburst design. In excellent condition. No size tag so...Category
20th Century American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Alaia Black Stretch Velvet Bodycon Mini Dress w/Open BackBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Studio City, CA1990's Alaia black long-sleeved stretch velvet open-backed, scoop neck mini dress. In excellent condition - size tag Small.Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1990's Jean Paul Gaultier Striped Bustier & Pleated Skirt EnsembleBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Studio City, CA1990's Jean Paul Gaultier brown striped bustier and pleated skirt ensemble. In excellent condition. Please see measurements. MEASUREMENTS: Top: Bust - 34" Waist - 23" Leng...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1970's Halston Black Sheer Bias Cut Silk Chiffon Slip Dress w/Cowl NecklineBy HalstonLocated in Studio City, CA1970's Halston black sheer bias cut silk chiffon dress with cowl neckline and 3/4" sleeves. Comes with a triple layered bias cut silk chiffon slip with nude colored straps. In excell...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1970's Guy Laroche Black Lace Camisole & Chiffon Skirt EnsembleBy Guy LarocheLocated in Studio City, CA1970's Guy Laroche black metallic lace spaghetti strap camisole with black chiffon multi-layered skirt featuring a hanky hem. In excellent condition. Skirt size tag 42 - top has no t...Category
1970s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dries Van Noten Black Sleeveless Deep V-Neck Cocktail Dress w/Oversized FlowerBy Dries van NotenLocated in Studio City, CADries Van Noten black 100% silk sleeveless deep V-neck cocktail dress with oversized silk flower embellishment at the front. Size 38. In excellent condition. Bust - 32" Waist - 28" ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belgian Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Prom Night Blacke Dress Embellished Pois on SkirtLocated in Capri, IT1980s Prom Night Blacke Dress Embellished Pois on Skirt Totally made in italy Composition: Viscose polyester polyamide Size 36Category
1980s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Chic 1960s Black and White Gingham Long Sleeve A - Line Vintage 60s Wool DressLocated in San Diego, CAChic late 1960s black and white large houndstooth long sleeve A-line dress! Features a fitted bodice with a full skirt. Oversized collar, and bell sleeves that cuff at the hem. Featu...Category
1960s American Shift Dresses
- Christian Dior Numbered Demi Couture Little Black Cocktail DressBy Christian Dior, Marc BohanLocated in Geneva, CHIs this 60’s Christian Dior the perfect “Little Black Dress” that every woman should have in her dressing ?! Constructed in a beautiful black “cloqué” silk, this textured cocktail dr...Category
1960s French Cocktail Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana D&G Black and Gray Ruched Corset DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Oakland, CASexy as ever Dolce & Gabanna bodycon ruched corset dress with boning. Black with dark heather grey front panels. Adjustable lingerie straps. Full length back zipper. Hits a...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- new MAISON MARGIELA JOHN GALLIANO 2019 deconstructed navy wool 2D dress IT40 SBy Maison Martin Margiela, John GallianoLocated in Hong Kong, NTnew MAISON MARGIELA JOHN GALLIANO 2019 deconstructed navy wool 2D dress IT40 S Reference: TGAS/C01545 Brand: Maison Margiela Designer: John Galliano...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Alfred Bosand Black Point D-Esprit Gown and Cape with Ruffles - M - 1960'sBy Alfred BosandLocated in West Palm Beach, FLAlfred Bosand Black Point D-Esprit Gown and Cape with Ruffles - M - 1960's. This ensemble has a sexy 60's look. The gown has spaghetti straps and a black lining with point d'esprit o...Category
1960s American Evening Dresses and Gowns