Valentino Techno Couture Red Sleeveless Dress with Bow - 4
About the Item
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: West Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Oscar de la Renta Red Silk Taffeta Dress with Rose Detail - 6By Oscar De La RentaLocated in West Palm Beach, FLThis Oscar de la Renta red silk taffeta dress is sleeveless with a drop waist and pleating at the beginning of the skirt. This dress also has a ruffle that leads into a rose along th...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior Red Printed One Shoulder Dress - 44By Christian DiorLocated in West Palm Beach, FLThis fabulous Christian Dior cocktail dress is red with a floral-esque print on it. The dress is made of silk chiffon with a pleated skirt and ruched along the bust and single strap....Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Charles Jourdan Multi Abstract Print and Mesh Dress - SBy Charles JourdanLocated in West Palm Beach, FLThis Charles Jourdan dress is made of cotton and has a white and multi-color abstract print on it. The dress is sleeveless and tapered with mesh paneling on both sides and two small ...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Nina Ricci Ivory Cotton and Lace Slip Dress - 6 - Spring 2006 CollectionBy Nina RicciLocated in West Palm Beach, FLThis Nina Ricci ivory dress has a thick lace underpinning with a sheer cotton overlay. The dress also has a copper metallic stitched design along the bodice, flowy style, and a side zipper. The dress is in very good vintage condition with light wear and one area of staining on the inside as seen in the last image. Size 6 From the Spring 2006 ready to wear collection by Lars Nilsson...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Nina Ricci Haute Couture Black Silk Pleated Dress - 4 - 1986By Nina RicciLocated in West Palm Beach, FLThis gorgeous Nina Ricci haute couture dress is made of silk and is entirely pleated. It has thin straps and a ruffle flounce over the bust. T...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Bottega Veneta Cream Linen One Shoulder Dress with Silk Detail - 40By Bottega VenetaLocated in West Palm Beach, FLBottega Veneta Cream Linen One Shoulder Dress with Silk Detail - 40. This elegant dress is an ivory color with a sheer cream-colored shoulder strap and sash. This dress is in excelle...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1998 Gucci by Tom Ford Red Sheer Mesh Mini DressBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1998 Gucci by Tom Ford CONDITION: Good- No holes or stains. Hem is raw, it is likely from owner n...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- Azzedine Alaïa red ribbed knit fishtail dress. Sculpted figure. Circa 1990By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Bilbao, ESAlaïa ribbed knit fishtail evening dress with nude knit underdress and zip fastening at the rear. Spring-Summer Mid 1990 Alaïa is revered for his independence and passion for discr...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- MOSCHINO COUTURE Cola Bustier DressBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceMOSCHINO COUTURE Cola Bustier Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 16.53 inches (42 cm) Waist: 14.96 inches (38 cm) Hips: 19.68 inches (50 c...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- MM6 Maison Margiela burgundy red ribbed wool knit midi maxi sweater dress SBy MM6 Maison MargielaLocated in Paris, FRMM6 by Maison Margiela Ribbed stretch knit sweater dress in burgundy Midi length Scalloped neckline, cuffs and hem FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!!! Com...Category
2010s Italian Informal Dresses
- Sonia Rykiel dusky pink burgundy abstract print plisse pleated maxi dress gownBy Sonia RykielLocated in Paris, FRSonia Rykiel full length gown in a beautiful shade of dusky pink with burgundy abstract print Pleated upper with keyhole cut out neckline, long sleeve...Category
2010s French Evening Gowns
- Christian Dior S/S 2018 red silk plisse low cut pussy bow midi dress FR 40By Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior S/S 2018 red midi dress in silk Low cut cross over upper Cinched in waist Plisse skirt Pussy bow necktie Concealed side zip FREE SHIPPI...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery