- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
A Courrèges Hyperbole Jersey Navy Trouser Suit - France Circa 1972
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Equivalent size France 35-36 (EU)
- Style:1972-1975 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very Good Condition and Color.
- Seller Location:Toulon, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU633317378962
Revolutionary couturier André Courrèges made a name for himself on the buzzy Paris fashion scene of the 1960s with audacious Space Age designs that pointed to the future. The world of haute couture credits him with toppling the conservative standards assigned to feminine clothing back then and propelling a movement that celebrated a more revealing brand of women's attire — including chic miniskirts, his iconic white ankle boots and often whimsical dresses with necklines that turned heads.
While vintage André Courrèges suits, jackets and other apparel garnered the designer ample praise, he wasn’t confined to producing clothing. He is also widely revered for creating some of the era’s most stylish accessories, like his offbeat, goggles-esque sunglasses and distinctive scarves, which boasted lively patterns and an alluring range of Pop art colors and pastels.
Born in the French Pyrenees, Courrèges wanted to become an artist at an early age, but his father steered him into engineering. Though successful as an engineer, Courrèges pivoted to fashion. He moved to Paris and worked briefly for couturiere Jeanne Lafaurie. In 1948, he took a job with Cristóbal Balenciaga, and within a couple of years, he had ascended to the role of Balenciaga’s first assistant.
While working for Balenciaga, Courrèges met dressmaker Coqueline Barrière, whom he would later marry. In 1961, the couple established their own fashion house, where they collaborated as creative partners for the remainder of the designer’s life.
Courrèges was among the designers who ushered in the rise of ready-to-wear. He favored figure-hugging silhouettes and geometric shapes, and looked to the work of architect Le Corbusier — a like-minded proponent of simplicity and clean lines. Alongside innovators such as Mary Quant, Paco Rabanne and Pierre Cardin — the latter's futuristic looks were catnip for the free-spending consumers of the postwar years — Courrèges explored ways to outfit women with comfortable everyday wear, working with forward-looking materials such as plastic and polyvinyl chloride in his unadorned dresses of stark white. Mexican socialite and Harper’s Bazaar editor Gloria Guinness, pop star Françoise Hardy and former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy were among some notable names to wear Courrèges originals.
By the mid-1960s, Courrèges had risen to the top of his industry, and there were many imitators. He took strict control of production at his namesake label, only allowing distribution through licensed sellers. He and Coqueline sold off part of the company in 1968 to L'Oreal, and by the early 1970s, Courrèges had more than 100 boutiques worldwide, also expanding into fragrances and menswear. In 1983, the couple restored themselves to full ownership of the company and in 2011 sold the company to French advertising executives Jacques Bungert and Frédéric Torloting. Artémis, which controls the global luxury group Kering, acquired a minority stake in the Courrèges brand in 2015 and took full control three years later.
Find vintage André Courrèges clothing, purses and other items on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toulon, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- André Courrèges Haute Couture Skirt Suit In Black Wool Circa 1968/1975By André CourrègesLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1968/1975 France Gorgeous Modernist skirt suit by André Courrèges Haute Couture size 00 from 1968/1975. Fine combed wool set with twill ribs and stitching. Military-inspired futuristic cut with Mao collar...Category
1970s French Skirt Suits$1,043Free Shipping
- An André Courrèges Pant Suit numbered 0514895 and 579326 Taty Style Circa 1969By André CourrègesLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1969 France Haute Couture A pant suit by André Courrèges Hyperbole Size O from the late 1960s. Wool knitting and stretch cotton with bouclé woven with black checked on a white background, reminiscent of Vichy motifs or inspired by the graphics of the designer house Taty, as a sign of democratization of Fashion. High-waisted top and short sleeves, underlined with tabs in white serge cotton at the collar, two fake pockets and waistbelt. Closure with matching snap buttons. High-waisted flared trousers, waistbelt and fly in serge cotton closed by snaps. Label Hyperbole Courrèges...Category
1960s French Bolero Jackets
- An André Courrèges Couture jacket and skirt - French late 1960sBy André CourrègesLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1968/1970 France Tailors jacket and skirt Haute Couture by André Courrèges dating from the late 60s. Size A Couture Future. Cream and navy w...Category
1960s French Skirt Suits$1,428Free Shipping
- A Navy & White Organza Skirt Suit by Claude Montana - French Circa 1980By Claude MontanaLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1980 France Skirt suit and jacket by French designer Claude Montana. Label is white with Claude Montana Paris Made in Italy written in gold. Made of blue navy linen and white borders in cotton. 3/4 sleeves with wide shoulders...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent Printed Panther Satin (attributed to) Skirt Suit Circa 1990By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 France Yves Saint Laurent Skirt suit without label from the 1990s. Set in printed panther silk satin. Crossed jacket with topstichting, large lapels and pockets. Transluc...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- A Dior Demi Couture Purple Mohair Woolen Skirt Suit Circa 1975By Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1970/1975 France Interesting Bérénice Haute Couture demi couture skirt suit 52 rue Saint Ferréol, Marseille after a patron of the Dior House, dat...Category
1970s French Skirt Suits$823Free Shipping
- Christian Dior by John Galliano silk evening dress and cocoon coat set, ss 1998By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior evening dress and coat set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Red and cream floral printed evening dress with train ▪ Red silk jacquard reversible cocoon coat ▪ Persian lamb collar ▪ Gold metal chain fringes...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1975 Madame Grès Haute Couture Rare Documented Silk-Jersey Cut Out GownBy Madame GresLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous and incredibility rare Madame Grès haute couture heavily pleated silk-jersey gown dating back to her 1975 Autumn-Winter collection. Madame Grès felt that the true job of the couturier was not to create a name for one's self, as many designers do, but to pay rigorous attention to the clothing. This stunning documented draped mocha brown gown has so much detail, you can tell it was made with loving devotion. That color pop of beige really brings this dress to a new level. The seductive bodice has a low-cut halter style neckline with scrolling heavily pleated bands. My favorite design detail is the flirty cut-outs around the bodice which add so much sex appeal and interest. Flattering asymmetric hem columnar skirt with matching pleated waist belt. Grès had an extraordinarily long career. Through each decade, which encompassed huge changes in fashion, her work remained consistent and timeless. Any one of her elegant gowns...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1930 Chanel Haute Couture Documented Velvet Scarf-Neck Sculpted CapeBy ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This breathtaking and ultra rare documented evening cape from her 1930-31 collection is a perfect example of why this couture brand has stood the test of time. Chanel from this era is extremely hard to find and the only similar garment we found is held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York. Not only is this cape incredibly elegant; it is so versatile and timeless. I adore the luxurious two-tone brown and caramel panne velvet. Closes in a gorgeous scarf-neck design complete with stunning sculpted round shoulder line work. A beautiful museum quality Chanel show...Category
1930s French Capes
- Dolce & Gabbana black silk chiffon butterfly evening dress, ss 1998By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana evening dress ▪ Black silk chiffon ▪ Draped bodice with built-in corset ▪ Blue silk wired butterfly appliqués ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Floor length skirt with two tr...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Azzedine Alaia Vintage Bodycon Knit Black Dress with Openwork Details F/W 1991By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Nice, FRAZZEDINE ALAIA vintage black knit stretch dress featuring gorgeous openwork trim details, V-shaped neckline, long sleeves and zipper closure at center back. From the 1991 Fall/Winte...Category
20th Century French Day Dresses
- Vintage 1976 Sonny & Cher Documented Custom-Made Bob Mackie Sequin Gown Suit SetBy Bob MackieLocated in Beverly Hills, CAOwn a major slice of celebrity history! Two important, well-documented Sonny & Cher worn garments custom made for their 1976-77 promotional pictures and Westchester/Harrah's performances. The legendary costume designer Ret Turner...Category
1970s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1950's Fercioni Couture Metallic Floral Lamé Strapless Hourglass GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA simply stunning and ultra rare Giovanni Fercioni colorful metallic floral lamé hourglass gown dating back to the early 1950's. Giovanni Fercioni (1886-1961) owns a very famous high fashion tailoring shop in Milan, Italy. Many desired but few could afford his creations. The son of an employee of the Royal House of Savoy...Category
1950s Italian Wedding Dresses
- Off-white Courrèges Coat 1970 Future CoutureBy CourrègesLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRTrench coat in thick ecru cotton, leather buttons, belt, beige zip, buttoned tabs on shoulders, buttoned pockets, buttoned tabs at the bottom sleeves, open back pleat, white monogram...Category
1970s French Coats
- Vintage 1967 Courreges Numbered Couture Brown Silk Mod Belted Space-Age DressBy Courrèges, André CourrègesLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAndre Courreges launched his Space-Age collection in 1964. The shapes of his clothes were geometric: squares, trapezoids, triangles. The main features of his ultra-modern, uncluttere...Category
1960s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Rare Runway Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture Dreamy Diaphanous Diva GownBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAHaute Couture Gaultier hooded hourglass evening dress swathed in a 2 tone grey and soft peach silk. Pale grey silk chiffon tails fall lightly against the dress. The look is an ev...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
- A. Courréges Hyperbole wool orange trouser suit from 1970By Courreges Hyperbole, André CourrègesLocated in L'ESCALA, ESVintage André Courrèges Hyperbole trouser suit numbered 0520940 from the 1970s. In orange wool, fitted, pretty trucker collar with a long and imposing white zipper partly hidden by a press-stud flap. 2 raglan pockets on the chest. 2 large flap pockets on the bottom of the coat. Leg in the back and press-stud opening. Orange and white vichy cotton lining. Pants, numbered 0520882 flare cut and low waist. small fly with discreet zipper ending in a white snap button at the waist. Fully lined. The Coat size 00...Category
1970s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Courreges 1970s Hyperbole Velvet Maxi Skirt and TopBy Courreges Hyperbole, André CourrègesLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous 2 piece blue velvet skirt and top set from Courreges. The maxi skirt is gathered onto a front and back yoke and flares subtly to the h...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
- COURREGES c.1970’s Hyperbole Orange Belted Button Front Coat Overcoat NumberedBy Courreges Hyperbole, André CourrègesLocated in Thiensville, WICOURREGES c.1970’s Hyperbole Orange Belted Button Up Detail Overcoat Numbered Circa: 1970’s Label(s): Courreges ‘Hyperbole’ -numbered Designer: Andre Courreges Style: Belted Overcoa...Category
1970s French Coats$1,256 Sale Price40% Off
- Andre Courreges numbered Pink Wool Jacket Skirt Set 1970’sBy Courrèges, André CourrègesLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAAndre Courreges modernist numbered couture pink wool jacket & skirt set from the 1970’s. Jacket features large AC vinyl logo. Large plastic coated ...Category
1970s French Skirt Suits$1,596 Sale Price20% Off
- COURREGES c.1970's Hyperbole Navy Blue Drawstring Windbreaker Parka RaincoatBy Courreges Hyperbole, André CourrègesLocated in Thiensville, WICOURREGES c.1970's Hyperbole Navy Blue Drawstring Windbreaker Parka Raincoat Circa: 1970’s Label(s): Courreges Hyperbole Designer: Andre Courreges Style: Full-length raincoat Color...Category
1970s French Hooded Jackets$872 Sale Price40% Off
- COURREGES Paris Hyperbole c.1970’s White Embroidered Quarter Zip Pullover HoodieBy Courreges Hyperbole, André CourrègesLocated in Thiensville, WICOURREGES Paris Hyperbole c.1970’s White Embroidered Quarter Zip Pullover Hoodie Brand / Manufacturer: Courrèges Paris Hyperbole Circa: 1970’s Style: Quarter zip pullover Color(s)...Category
1970s French Pullovers$476 Sale Price40% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery