André Courrèges Haute Couture Skirt Suit In Black Wool Circa 1968/1975
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: French equivalent size 35/36 (EU)
- Style:1968/1975 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Excellent Condition and Color.
- Seller Location:Toulon, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU633311096372
Revolutionary couturier André Courrèges made a name for himself on the buzzy Paris fashion scene of the 1960s with audacious Space Age designs that pointed to the future. The world of haute couture credits him with toppling the conservative standards assigned to feminine clothing back then and propelling a movement that celebrated a more revealing brand of women's attire — including chic miniskirts, his iconic white ankle boots and often whimsical dresses with necklines that turned heads.
While vintage André Courrèges suits, jackets and other apparel garnered the designer ample praise, he wasn’t confined to producing clothing. He is also widely revered for creating some of the era’s most stylish accessories, like his offbeat, goggles-esque sunglasses and distinctive scarves, which boasted lively patterns and an alluring range of Pop art colors and pastels.
Born in the French Pyrenees, Courrèges wanted to become an artist at an early age, but his father steered him into engineering. Though successful as an engineer, Courrèges pivoted to fashion. He moved to Paris and worked briefly for couturiere Jeanne Lafaurie. In 1948, he took a job with Cristóbal Balenciaga, and within a couple of years, he had ascended to the role of Balenciaga’s first assistant.
While working for Balenciaga, Courrèges met dressmaker Coqueline Barrière, whom he would later marry. In 1961, the couple established their own fashion house, where they collaborated as creative partners for the remainder of the designer’s life.
Courrèges was among the designers who ushered in the rise of ready-to-wear. He favored figure-hugging silhouettes and geometric shapes, and looked to the work of architect Le Corbusier — a like-minded proponent of simplicity and clean lines. Alongside innovators such as Mary Quant, Paco Rabanne and Pierre Cardin — the latter's futuristic looks were catnip for the free-spending consumers of the postwar years — Courrèges explored ways to outfit women with comfortable everyday wear, working with forward-looking materials such as plastic and polyvinyl chloride in his unadorned dresses of stark white. Mexican socialite and Harper’s Bazaar editor Gloria Guinness, pop star Françoise Hardy and former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy were among some notable names to wear Courrèges originals.
By the mid-1960s, Courrèges had risen to the top of his industry, and there were many imitators. He took strict control of production at his namesake label, only allowing distribution through licensed sellers. He and Coqueline sold off part of the company in 1968 to L'Oreal, and by the early 1970s, Courrèges had more than 100 boutiques worldwide, also expanding into fragrances and menswear. In 1983, the couple restored themselves to full ownership of the company and in 2011 sold the company to French advertising executives Jacques Bungert and Frédéric Torloting. Artémis, which controls the global luxury group Kering, acquired a minority stake in the Courrèges brand in 2015 and took full control three years later.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toulon, France
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Yves Saint Laurent Printed Panther Satin (attributed to) Skirt Suit Circa 1990By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 France Yves Saint Laurent Skirt suit without label from the 1990s. Set in printed panther silk satin. Crossed jacket with topstichting, large lapels and pockets. Transluc...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- A Thierry Mugler Couture Black Tuxedo Skirt Suit - France Circa 1990/2000By Thierry MuglerLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1990/2000 France Iconic skirt suit in black Polyester Tergal by Thierry Mugler dating from 1990/2000. Fitted and architectural jacket, col...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- An Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Skirt suit Circa 1988/1992By Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1988/1992 France Iconic Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche skirt suit in wool fashioned with large parallel ribs Circa 1988/1992. High-waisted shoulder bolero with large polished jai buttons, gold-tone brass rims on the cuffs, with a recall on the right skirt with a cross-sided wallet. Wide belt in elastic silk trim with rectangular buckle in brass knotted...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- A French Bar Suit skirt and jacket By Franck & Fils - Paris Circa 1945/1950Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1945/1950 Paris France Bar skirt suit by Franck & Fils in black woolen cloth in the tradition of Christian Dior's New Look and dating from the end of the 1940s. Fitted jacket with structured cut and marked waist hugging the hips. Crossed closure on the front with five black bakelite buttons...Category
1940s French Skirt Suits
- A French Dior/Bérénice Demi Couture skirt suit Wool Tartan, French Circa 1970By Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1970 France Tartan plaid curly wool suit labelled Berenice which belongs to a series of Christian Dior patterns, made by this Marseilles-based House ...Category
1970s French Skirt Suits
- An Emanuel Ungaro French Couture Dress and Jacket Set Collection 1991-1992By Emanuel UngaroLocated in Toulon, FRAutumn Winter Collection 1991/1992 France Dress and jacket set in wool crepe by Emanuel Ungaro Couture Collection 1991/1992. Couture numbered 28819 and 9995. Skin-tight dress...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Alexander Mcqueen 1998 Joan Skirt Suit with Zippered Jacket and Logo Red LiningBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage 1990s Alexander Mcqueen grey skirt suit from the 1998 Joan collection. Suit is made of a beautiful grey and black fabric with a light sheen. A...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Escada Margaretha Ley Vintage Trouser & Jacket Pant Suit Textured Blue CottonBy EscadaLocated in Portland, ORThis is a wonderful Escada vintage blue pantsuit with raised embroidered abstract lines across the jacket and pants. The pants are high waisted and butt...Category
1980s German Trouser Pant Suits
- Dolce & Gabbana brown corduroy multipocket jacket and mini skirt set, fw 2002By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana brown corduroy jacket and skirt ▪ Multipocket corduroy bomber jacket ▪ Fur lining ▪ Pleated silk georgette skater skirt ▪ EU 38 ▪ Jacket: 50% Rabbit, 48% Cotton,...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Christian Dior by John Galliano blue denim cropped jacket and skirt set, ss 2000By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior indigo blue denim jacket and skirt 2 piece set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Cropped denim jacket ▪ Bias cut skirt with asymmetric waistline and hemline ▪ Gold log...Category
Early 2000s French Skirt Suits
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black quilted nylon jumpsuit, fw 2011By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in London, GB▪ Chanel jumpsuit ▪ Designed by Karl Lagerfeld ▪ Black quilted nylon ▪ Attached cropped jacket ▪ Zip fastenings ▪ FR 36 - UK 8 - US 4 ▪ Fall-Winter 2011 ▪ 98% Polyamide, 2% Poly...Category
2010s Italian Jumpsuits
- Alexander McQueen black cashmere 'Joan' jacket and skirt suit, fw 1998By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GB▪ Alexander McQueen 'Joan' suit ▪ Museum piece ▪ Black cashmere ▪ Fitted jacket with buttoned inner bodice with standing shoulders ▪ Mid-length pencil skirt with large rear kick sp...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles