- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Bell Sleeves Asymmetric Jacket
About the Item
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (4...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Native American Print Mesh TopBy JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Native American Print Mesh Top Measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulders: 16.14 inches (41 cm) without stretching Sleeves: 26.37 inch...Category
20th Century French Blouses and Tops
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Arrow "Constructivist Russian" Collection Sweater TopBy JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Constructivist Russian" Collection Arrow Applique Pvc Sweater Top Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: Raglan sleeves, d...Category
20th Century French Pullovers
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 22.05 inches (56 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 24 i...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15 inches (38.10 cm) Sleeves: 25 inches (63.5 cm) unstretch...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer Jacket Approximate measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 2...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Belted Bondage Rust Cape DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Belted Bondage Rust Cape Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.74 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 33.85 inches (86 ...Category
20th Century French Capes
- Jean Paul Gaultier Evening Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Jean Paul Gaultier ClassiqueLocated in Geneva, CHWith its two tones (eggplant/dark purple) colors versatile bell sleeves, this vintage Jean Paul Gaultier evening blazer will really make an impact. Tailored from lustrous shifting sa...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Blazers
- 1970s Alley Cat By Betsey Johnson Red Vintage High Waisted Flared Bell BottomsLocated in San Diego, CAUltra rare and collectible 70s ALLEY CAT, by BETSEY JOHNSON lipstick red high waisted flared leg bell bottoms! From one of Johnson's first labels, these rare pants are for the musuem...Category
1970s American Wide Leg Pants
- Vintage Jean Paul Gaultier Burnt Orange Suede Asymmetrical Tunic DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Studio City, CAVintage Jean Paul Gaultier burnt orange suede asymmetrical tunic with bell sleeves and over-sized cowl neck that can be worn off the shoulder. Edges of hem and cuffs are hand cut to ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Tunics$850 Sale Price22% Off
- Jean Paul Gaultier Gentle Black Wool With Detailed Bell Sleeves SweaterBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in New York, NYJean Paul Gaultier black gentle-knit wool open-tie sweater features detailed edges as well as the slightly flared bell cuffs. The front has two knit ties measuring 24" in leng...Category
1990s Italian Cardigans
- Jean Paul Gaultier Scuba Hoodie JacketBy JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black polyurethane jacket from Jean Paul Gaultier's JPG collection. It has a hood, snap tab at the neck and long sleeves with padded arrow appliques along the upper arms....Category
1980s French Jackets$225 Sale Price66% Off
- JPG.Jean's black wool coat by Jean-Paul Gaultier - France Circa 2010By JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 2010 France Beautiful thick black felted wool coat from JPG Jean's by Gaultier dating from the 2010s. The coat was feminised by Yves Saint Laurent in 1965, then declined by J...Category
2010s French Coats$1,164Free Shipping
- JPG Jeans Lace-Up Detail Jean Jacket (1990’s)By JPG by GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAJPG Jeans Jacket Circa 1990's Vintage Black Fitted silhouette with seamed details Gunmetal grey button details with JPG Jeans logo Black sheer net inserts on side of jacket Tw...Category
1990s Unknown Jackets
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER JPG Jean’s c.1990’s Teal Multicolor Shell Bermuda Long ShortsBy JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Thiensville, WIJEAN PAUL GAULTIER JPG Jean’s c.1990’s Teal Multicolor Shell Bermuda Long Shorts Circa: 1990’s Label(s): JPG Jean’s Designer: Jean Paul Gaultier Style: Long shorts Color(s): Shades...Category
1990s Italian Bermuda Shorts
- Jean Paul Gaultier Early 1990s Vintage Rust Burnt Orange Tailored Cigarette SuitBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Diego, CAFabulous vintage early 90s JEAN PAUL GAULTIER rust / burnt orange colored silk shantung cigarette suit! Features a stylish long blazer, with buttons up the bodice. Four functional po...Category
1990s Italian Trouser Pant Suits
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Size 8 Black Hiden Placket Brown Belt Trucker JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER trucker style jacket comes in black fabric with a pointed collar, hidden placket snap closure, flap and slit pockets, and detachable brown leather belt wai...Category
19th Century Italian Jackets$309 Sale Price30% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery