1990's Vivienne Westwood 'Gold Label' Wool Strapless Jumpsuit
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 50.1 in (127.26 cm)Marked Size: 2 - 4 (US)Bust: 27.2 in (69.09 cm)Waist: 28.4 in (72.14 cm)Hip: 38.4 in (97.54 cm)
- Seller Location:North Hollywood, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3084219121422
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: North Hollywood, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- A/W 2003 Christian Dior ‘Hard Core’ Collection Red Leather PantsBy Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 2003 Christian Dior by Galliano ‘Hard Core’ collection mid-rise red leather pants with silver details. Features silver buckle details at waist, s...Category
Early 2000s Pants
- S/S 1992 Vivienne Westwood Salon Print PantsBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1992 Vivienne Westwood 'Red Label' salon pants. Cotton high-rise denim pants with screen printed salon motif throughout. Oversized, functional flared front pockets and slight fla...Category
- S/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Pink Pattern TrouserBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Pink Pattern Low-Rise Trouser. A very well documented piece - part of fashion history. Seen in the ad campaign, worn on the runway...Category
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Lurex Disco PantsBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Disco Pants. Inspired by his brief time at Studio 54, when Tom Ford began designing for Gucci he took disco sensuality and gave it a modern edge crea...Category
- 2000’s Christian Dior by John Galliano Silk Black Pants with Ruffle SidesBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in North Hollywood, CA2000’s Christian Dior by John Galliano silk black pants with ruffle flare hem. Curved ruffle paneling throughout pant leg. Super comfortable mid-rise pants that can be dressed up or ...Category
Early 2000s Pants
- Bottega Veneta Red Leather Pants, Size SBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Beverly Hills, CANEW Bottega Veneta red leather pants. Pair these loose fitting Italian made pants with a form fitting top to complete your look. Product details • Shiny leather pants • Elasticated w...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Pants
- Instante by Gianni Versace vintage jeans, 1990sBy Gianni VersaceLocated in New York, NYInstante by Gianni Versace vintage jeans with mermaid and seahorse print Size – IT40 / S-M Length – 105 cm / 41” Waist -70 cm / 27,5” Hips – 92 cm / ...Category
1990s Italian Jeans
- Norma Kamali Red Button PantsBy OMO Norma KamaliLocated in Waterford, MIRed pants with white buttons on side. Deep front pockets. Side zipper closure. Cotton and lightweight. *Condition: excellent vintage condition. No visible flaws. Measurements Tak...Category
- Alexander McQueen 2010 Red and Blue Geometric Print Legging LeggingsBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander Mcqueen geometric print leggings in a red and blue maze like pattern from the Resort 2010 collection. 77% polyamide, 23% elastane. Made in Italy. Size S. (Very stretchy...Category
2010s Italian Pants
- FW1997 Chanel Wide Leg Prune Tweed Pants FR40By Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in PARIS, FRChanel pants from the Fall Winter 1997 collection in wool tweed in plum, blue and ocher tones, high waist with pleats, 2 slit pockets on the sides, extra large volume (and soft fabric), button and zip closure, lined with coordinated silk on the upper part only. Size 40FR: waist 39 cm, rise 35 cm (high waist), inseam 70 cm, total length 104 cm, bottom leg width 33 cm. The pants are vintage and they show signs of use but they remain in very good condition, ultra chic in a white t-shirt, camel trench...Category
1990s French Wide Leg Pants
- Dolce & Gabbana Pants, Size 40ITBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRDolce & Gabbana -(Made in Italy) Printed cotton pants. Size 40IT. Additional information: Dimensions: Size: 33 cm, Length: 96 cm Condition: Very good condition Seller Ref number: FJ46Category
Early 2000s Italian Pants