A/W 2003 Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal Inverted Jeans
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 37.5 in (95.25 cm)Marked Size: 6 (US)Waist: 29.6 in (75.19 cm)Hip: 38.4 in (97.54 cm)
- Material Notes:100% Cotton Denim.
- Condition:In excellent vintage condition with no flaws to note.
- Seller Location:North Hollywood, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3084219108492
Maison Martin Margiela
Belgian designer Martin Margiela (b. 1957) — whose life, career, clothing designs and vintage shoes have become cult-collector obsessions — pushed those who attended his shows outside their comfort zones. In the years following his maison's 1988 debut, he toyed with creative and aesthetic paradoxes that persist in fashion today.
Consider the Spring/Summer 2001 shirt patchworked from vintage clothing labels, or his famous corset dresses made from tailoring dummies, from his Fall/Winter 1997 line. Or his oversize collection for Fall/Winter 2000. In 1992, Margiela told Dépêche Mode magazine, “My clothes appeal to women of a certain mindset rather than of a specific age or physique.”
Born in Genk, Belgium, in 1957, Margiela knew he wanted to be a fashion designer after catching glimpses of Parisian fashion on TV as a child. Although his parents discouraged this career choice as an oddly funny aspiration, Margiela enrolled in the fashion program of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. There, he befriended and graduated a year ahead of the Antwerp Six — the acclaimed group of Belgian fashion designers comprising Dries Van Noten, Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Marina Yee, Dirk Bikkembergs and Dirk Van Saene.
Like many of his contemporaries in the 1980s, Margiela understood Paris fashion but felt a deep resonance with the deconstructed beauty espoused by Japanese designers Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo, of Comme des Garçons. Margiela’s fascination with Japan influenced many of his earliest collections and designs, from a dress pieced together from broken plates to his iconic Tabi boots, inspired by the split-toe Japanese worker’s shoe, which dates back to the 15th century. He decided to launch his own line while working for renowned Paris designer Jean Paul Gaultier.
Margiela, Gaultier has often stated, was his best assistant. Even then, the 2019 film Martin Margiela: In His Own Words suggests, he was acutely aware of the widening gulf between the art and the business of fashion.
Margiela’s debut show was nothing short of spectacular. Set in a packed Café de la Gare in the still-seedy Marais district, it was also scandalous to the Parisian fashion set of the time. The designer tore up the conventions of contemporary couture presentations, most notably having his models, plucked from the streets and wearing ink-blotted Tabis, wend their way through the crowd. The show redefined the concept of the runway in a way that would later inspire such designers as Alexander McQueen and Demna Gvasalia.
While the notoriously private designer retired from fashion in 2009, for many Maison Martin Margiela collectors, his pieces capture the irreverence of the postwar, post-punk late 1980s and ’90s. Katy Rodriguez, cofounder of the cult vintage fashion shop Resurrection, is among those who felt a connection to Margiela’s clothing in the subliminal challenges it posed to the time’s beauty norms.
“Growing up in San Francisco and coming out of the end of punk rock, not wanting to be objectified, not wanting to be seen as a sexual object, not wanting your value to be just because you’re pretty — all those clothes played into all of that,” she says. “It really was a reflection of the kind of world the young people I knew at the time wanted to live in.”
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: North Hollywood, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- A/W 2003 Christian Dior ‘Hard Core’ Collection Red Leather PantsBy Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 2003 Christian Dior by Galliano ‘Hard Core’ collection mid-rise red leather pants with silver details. Features silver buckle details at waist, s...Category
Early 2000s Pants
- S/S 1992 Vivienne Westwood Salon Print PantsBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1992 Vivienne Westwood 'Red Label' salon pants. Cotton high-rise denim pants with screen printed salon motif throughout. Oversized, functional flared front pockets and slight fla...Category
- 1990's Vivienne Westwood 'Gold Label' Wool Strapless JumpsuitBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in North Hollywood, CA1990's Vivienne Westwood 'Gold Label' wool strapless jumpsuit. Trouser-inspired strapless jumpsuit with fitted waist and back pocket detail. In excellent vintage condition with no fl...Category
- 2000’s Christian Dior by John Galliano Silk Black Pants with Ruffle SidesBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in North Hollywood, CA2000’s Christian Dior by John Galliano silk black pants with ruffle flare hem. Curved ruffle paneling throughout pant leg. Super comfortable mid-rise pants that can be dressed up or ...Category
Early 2000s Pants
- S/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Pink Pattern TrouserBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Pink Pattern Low-Rise Trouser. A very well documented piece - part of fashion history. Seen in the ad campaign, worn on the runway...Category
- Bottega Veneta Red Leather Pants, Size SBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Beverly Hills, CANEW Bottega Veneta red leather pants. Pair these loose fitting Italian made pants with a form fitting top to complete your look. Product details • Shiny leather pants • Elasticated w...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Pants
- Instante by Gianni Versace vintage jeans, 1990sBy Gianni VersaceLocated in New York, NYInstante by Gianni Versace vintage jeans with mermaid and seahorse print Size – IT40 / S-M Length – 105 cm / 41” Waist -70 cm / 27,5” Hips – 92 cm / ...Category
1990s Italian Jeans
- Norma Kamali Red Button PantsBy OMO Norma KamaliLocated in Waterford, MIRed pants with white buttons on side. Deep front pockets. Side zipper closure. Cotton and lightweight. *Condition: excellent vintage condition. No visible flaws. Measurements Tak...Category
- Gucci Technical Jersey Web Stripe Track BottomsBy GucciLocated in London, GBBrand New - Gucci Technical Jersey Web Stripe Track Bottoms Blue track pants imbued with vintage, sportswear inspired feel. Detailed with iconic r...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Pants
- Versus Versace Printed Cotton TrousersBy VersusLocated in London, GBVersus Versace Printed Cotton Trousers Multicoloured, relaxed fit trousers designed with pink floral prints to the front and contrasting zebra pattern...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Pants
- Stella McCartney Cropped Skinny Cotton JeansBy Stella McCartneyLocated in London, GBStella McCartney Cropped Skinny Cotton Jeans Indigo skinny jeans detailed with cropped leg and low-rise. Featuring five pocket designed and 'Stella McCartney' logo engraved button ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jeans