Maison Martin Margiela Spring 2010 Haute Couture Laser Cut Leather Trousers
About the Item
Maison Martin Margiela
Belgian designer Martin Margiela (b. 1957) — whose life, career, clothing designs and vintage shoes have become cult-collector obsessions — pushed those who attended his shows outside their comfort zones. In the years following his maison's 1988 debut, he toyed with creative and aesthetic paradoxes that persist in fashion today.
Consider the Spring/Summer 2001 shirt patchworked from vintage clothing labels, or his famous corset dresses made from tailoring dummies, from his Fall/Winter 1997 line. Or his oversize collection for Fall/Winter 2000. In 1992, Margiela told Dépêche Mode magazine, “My clothes appeal to women of a certain mindset rather than of a specific age or physique.”
Born in Genk, Belgium, in 1957, Margiela knew he wanted to be a fashion designer after catching glimpses of Parisian fashion on TV as a child. Although his parents discouraged this career choice as an oddly funny aspiration, Margiela enrolled in the fashion program of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. There, he befriended and graduated a year ahead of the Antwerp Six — the acclaimed group of Belgian fashion designers comprising Dries Van Noten, Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Marina Yee, Dirk Bikkembergs and Dirk Van Saene.
Like many of his contemporaries in the 1980s, Margiela understood Paris fashion but felt a deep resonance with the deconstructed beauty espoused by Japanese designers Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo, of Comme des Garçons. Margiela’s fascination with Japan influenced many of his earliest collections and designs, from a dress pieced together from broken plates to his iconic Tabi boots, inspired by the split-toe Japanese worker’s shoe, which dates back to the 15th century. He decided to launch his own line while working for renowned Paris designer Jean Paul Gaultier.
Margiela, Gaultier has often stated, was his best assistant. Even then, the 2019 film Martin Margiela: In His Own Words suggests, he was acutely aware of the widening gulf between the art and the business of fashion.
Margiela’s debut show was nothing short of spectacular. Set in a packed Café de la Gare in the still-seedy Marais district, it was also scandalous to the Parisian fashion set of the time. The designer tore up the conventions of contemporary couture presentations, most notably having his models, plucked from the streets and wearing ink-blotted Tabis, wend their way through the crowd. The show redefined the concept of the runway in a way that would later inspire such designers as Alexander McQueen and Demna Gvasalia.
While the notoriously private designer retired from fashion in 2009, for many Maison Martin Margiela collectors, his pieces capture the irreverence of the postwar, post-punk late 1980s and ’90s. Katy Rodriguez, cofounder of the cult vintage fashion shop Resurrection, is among those who felt a connection to Margiela’s clothing in the subliminal challenges it posed to the time’s beauty norms.
“Growing up in San Francisco and coming out of the end of punk rock, not wanting to be objectified, not wanting to be seen as a sexual object, not wanting your value to be just because you’re pretty — all those clothes played into all of that,” she says. “It really was a reflection of the kind of world the young people I knew at the time wanted to live in.”
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Diego, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Roberto Cavalli Spring 2004 Runway Two-Piece Bustier Dress SetBy Roberto CavalliLocated in San Diego, CATwo-piece leather bustier top and silk chiffon printed dress from the spring 2004 runway collection modeled in look five. Bust: 32-36" Waist: 25-28" Hip: 34-40" Length: 53"Category
Early 2000s Italian Mini Dress
- Christian Dior Spring 2003 Silk Lace-Up Metallic DressBy John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in San Diego, CASilk blend dress adorned with lace-up and metallic brocade details from the spring 2003 collection designed by John Galliano for Christian Dior and as seen on Goldie Hawn...Category
Early 2000s French Mini Dress
- Christian Dior Spring 2003 Runway Printed Logo Graffiti DressBy John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in San Diego, CAMini dress in silk adorned with a plunging necklace and all-over filth graffiti printed modeled by Kristina Tsirekidze in look forty-four and designed by John Galliano for Christian ...Category
Early 2000s French Mini Dress
- Chanel Spring 1997 Runway Printed Terrycloth Skirt SetBy Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in San Diego, CATerrycloth two-piece top and skirt set adorned with an all-over camellia pop art print from the spring 1997 runway collection designed by Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel. Top: Chest: 34-3...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Fendi Spring 2000 Pink Silk Chiffon Blouse Bralette SetBy Karl Lagerfeld for FendiLocated in San Diego, CATwo-piece silk chiffon blouse bralette set adorned with ruffle detailing modeled with multiple looks for the spring 2000 runway collection designed by Karl Lagerfeld. Bust: 34-36" W...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses
- Gucci Fall 1999 Flower Embellished Plunge TopBy Tom Ford for GucciLocated in San Diego, CAKnit plunge top adorned with a leather appliqué flower from the fall 1999 runway collection designed by Tom Ford and modeled by Gisele Bündchen for Vogue UK...Category
1990s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Instante by Gianni Versace vintage jeans, 1990sBy Gianni VersaceLocated in New York, NYInstante by Gianni Versace vintage jeans with mermaid and seahorse print Size – IT40 / S-M Length – 105 cm / 41” Waist -70 cm / 27,5” Hips – 92 cm / ...Category
1990s Italian Jeans
- Norma Kamali Red Button PantsBy OMO Norma KamaliLocated in Waterford, MIRed pants with white buttons on side. Deep front pockets. Side zipper closure. Cotton and lightweight. *Condition: excellent vintage condition. No visible flaws. Measurements Tak...Category
- Alexander McQueen 2010 Red and Blue Geometric Print Legging LeggingsBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander Mcqueen geometric print leggings in a red and blue maze like pattern from the Resort 2010 collection. 77% polyamide, 23% elastane. Made in Italy. Size S. (Very stretchy...Category
2010s Italian Pants
- FW1997 Chanel Wide Leg Prune Tweed Pants FR40By Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in PARIS, FRChanel pants from the Fall Winter 1997 collection in wool tweed in plum, blue and ocher tones, high waist with pleats, 2 slit pockets on the sides, extra large volume (and soft fabric), button and zip closure, lined with coordinated silk on the upper part only. Size 40FR: waist 39 cm, rise 35 cm (high waist), inseam 70 cm, total length 104 cm, bottom leg width 33 cm. The pants are vintage and they show signs of use but they remain in very good condition, ultra chic in a white t-shirt, camel trench...Category
1990s French Wide Leg Pants
- Dolce & Gabbana Pants, Size 40ITBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRDolce & Gabbana -(Made in Italy) Printed cotton pants. Size 40IT. Additional information: Dimensions: Size: 33 cm, Length: 96 cm Condition: Very good condition Seller Ref number: FJ46Category
Early 2000s Italian Pants
- Dolce & Gabbana Pants, Size 42ITBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRDolce & Gabbana -(Made in Italy) Black and white cotton pants. Size 42IT. Additional information: Dimensions: Size: 36 cm, Length: 96 cm Condition: Very good condition Seller Ref n...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pants