- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1992 Martin Margiela Artisanal Scarf Tie Top
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: one size (US)
- Place of Origin:Unknown
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Austin, TX
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU16114521422
Maison Martin Margiela
Belgian designer Martin Margiela (b. 1957) — whose life, career, clothing designs and vintage shoes have become cult-collector obsessions — pushed those who attended his shows outside their comfort zones. In the years following his maison's 1988 debut, he toyed with creative and aesthetic paradoxes that persist in fashion today.
Consider the Spring/Summer 2001 shirt patchworked from vintage clothing labels, or his famous corset dresses made from tailoring dummies, from his Fall/Winter 1997 line. Or his oversize collection for Fall/Winter 2000. In 1992, Margiela told Dépêche Mode magazine, “My clothes appeal to women of a certain mindset rather than of a specific age or physique.”
Born in Genk, Belgium, in 1957, Margiela knew he wanted to be a fashion designer after catching glimpses of Parisian fashion on TV as a child. Although his parents discouraged this career choice as an oddly funny aspiration, Margiela enrolled in the fashion program of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. There, he befriended and graduated a year ahead of the Antwerp Six — the acclaimed group of Belgian fashion designers comprising Dries Van Noten, Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Marina Yee, Dirk Bikkembergs and Dirk Van Saene.
Like many of his contemporaries in the 1980s, Margiela understood Paris fashion but felt a deep resonance with the deconstructed beauty espoused by Japanese designers Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo, of Comme des Garçons. Margiela’s fascination with Japan influenced many of his earliest collections and designs, from a dress pieced together from broken plates to his iconic Tabi boots, inspired by the split-toe Japanese worker’s shoe, which dates back to the 15th century. He decided to launch his own line while working for renowned Paris designer Jean Paul Gaultier.
Margiela, Gaultier has often stated, was his best assistant. Even then, the 2019 film Martin Margiela: In His Own Words suggests, he was acutely aware of the widening gulf between the art and the business of fashion.
Margiela’s debut show was nothing short of spectacular. Set in a packed Café de la Gare in the still-seedy Marais district, it was also scandalous to the Parisian fashion set of the time. The designer tore up the conventions of contemporary couture presentations, most notably having his models, plucked from the streets and wearing ink-blotted Tabis, wend their way through the crowd. The show redefined the concept of the runway in a way that would later inspire such designers as Alexander McQueen and Demna Gvasalia.
While the notoriously private designer retired from fashion in 2009, for many Maison Martin Margiela collectors, his pieces capture the irreverence of the postwar, post-punk late 1980s and ’90s. Katy Rodriguez, cofounder of the cult vintage fashion shop Resurrection, is among those who felt a connection to Margiela’s clothing in the subliminal challenges it posed to the time’s beauty norms.
“Growing up in San Francisco and coming out of the end of punk rock, not wanting to be objectified, not wanting to be seen as a sexual object, not wanting your value to be just because you’re pretty — all those clothes played into all of that,” she says. “It really was a reflection of the kind of world the young people I knew at the time wanted to live in.”
Find vintage Maison Martin Margiela boots, evening dresses, jackets and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Austin, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- 2009 Martin Margiela Mirrored Backless Tuxedo VestBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Austin, TX2009 S/S MARTIN MARGIELA MIRRORED TUXEDO VEST 2009 designed by Martin Margiela. Condition:Excellent SZ S/ US 4 / IT 40Category
Early 2000s Unknown Shirts
- 1996 MARTIN MARGIELA Metal Ring TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Austin, TX1996 Martin Margiela brown knit crop top with tie back and metal ring neck Condition: Excellent Bust 24" , 18" waist, 21.5" length size XS / SCategory
1990s Unknown Halter Tops
- 1990s Dolce & Gabbana Beaded Crop TopBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Austin, TX1990s Dolce & Gabbana Beaded Crop Top Size M/ US6 / IT42 Condition: Very good, do not see wear 29" bust, 22" waist, 12" lengthCategory
1990s Italian Shirts
- Comme des Garcons brown knot cropped top.By Rei Kawabuko, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Austin, TXComme des Garcons brown knot cropped top. Condition: Very good 34" bust, 36" waist, 17" length Size S 85% cotton/ 15% woolCategory
Early 2000s Japanese Shirts
- S/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Cropped Tie TopBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in Austin, TXS/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Cropped Tie Top 100% Rayon Made in Italy Condition: Excellent Bust: 35"-50", Waist: 25"-38", Length: 13" SIZE: 42Category
1990s Crop Tops
- 2004 Gucci by Tom Ford Paisley Print Bat Wing TopBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in Austin, TX2004 Gucci by Tom Ford Paisley Print Bat Wing Top Condition: Excellent 100% rayon 34" bust, 28" waist, 28" length Size S / US 4 / IT 40Category
Early 2000s Italian Shirts
- Martin Margiela runway three piece ensemble, fw 2001By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBMartin Margiela three piece runway ensemble comprising: man's car coat in leather with embossed details, chiffon tassel dress and thigh high wedge Tabi boots...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Martin Margiela artisanal corset top made with tailoring canvases, fw 2003By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBMartin Margiela artisanal corset top made with a patchwork of tailoring linen canvases backed in cream cotton. Fall-Winter 2003Category
Early 2000s Italian Shirts
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vivienne Westwood black leather corseted pants with crotch zipper, fw 1997By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black leather pants ▪ 100% Leather ▪ Metal crotch zipper ▪ High rise corseted waist ▪ Zippers at back leg ▪ FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 ▪ Fall-Winter 1997Category
1990s British Pants
- Martin Margiela artisanal shirt front and skirt runway ensemble, ss 2001By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GB▪ Important Martin Margiela artisanal runway ensemble ▪ Patchwork shirtfront made up from an assortment of vintage clothing labels ▪ Overs...Category
Early 2000s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Sheer Nude Mesh Maxi Dress, Spring-Summer 2001By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Geneva, CHThe Look No 67 (see pictures 2 & 3) of the 2001 Jean Paul Gaultier Spring-Summer runway show, this amazing dress is cut from stretchy ribbed-mesh and refined nude silk chiffon. The m...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Margiela Artisanal black glove top and pleated skirt runway ensemble, ss 2001By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBMartin Margiela; Runway ensemble (LOOK #10) Artisanal shirt-front made out of black leather gloves and oversized black artisanal skirt made out of vintage pleated skirts...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Givenchy by Alexander McQueen Haute Couture brown snakeskin dress, ss 2001By Alexander McQueen for Givenchy Haute Couture, GivenchyLocated in London, GB▪ Givenchy Haute Couture brown snakeskin dress ▪ Designed by Alexander McQueen ▪ Skintight fit ▪ Vertical snakeskin panels with tulle bands ▪ Emb...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Iconic Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal White Glove Bodice, S/S 2001.By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in New York, NYIconic Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal White Glove Bodice, S/S 2001. Maison Martin Margiela halter neck bodice that is made entirely of a collage of cream/ivory/white vintage interl...Category
Early 2000s French Halter Tops
- Callaghan by Romeo Gigli embroidered cotton mesh blouse and wrap skirt, ss 1990By CALLAGHAN, Romeo GigliLocated in London, GB▪ Callaghan blouse and skirt set ▪ Designed by Romeo Gigli ▪ Black cotton-mesh with intricate floral embroidery allover ▪ Cropped button-up blouse with cap sleeves ▪ Circular cut w...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Martin Margiella Simple Little Black Dress (40)By Maison Martin Margiela, Martin MargiellaLocated in Port Hope, ONLovely viscose dress with contrasting cotton trim at the v-neck and cuffs. This 3/4 sleeved dress is simple but elegant with a slight cocoon shape bottom. There is also the design...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses$275 Sale Price30% Off
- Maison Martin Margiela Long Sleeve TeeBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Laguna Beach, CAWhite vintage round neck tee from comes to you from Maison Martin Margiela. This 100% white semi-fitted cotton tee differentiates itself with overlapping around the unfinished seams ...Category
1990s French T-Shirts$90 Sale Price50% Off
- Maison Martin Margiela Long Sleeve Double Layer TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Laguna Beach, CAThis effortlessly supple double-layer cotton-knit top is vintage Maison Martin Margiela. The soft white top features long sleeves coupled with a long length that slips over the hips....Category
1990s French Blouses and Tops
- Maison Martin Margiela Draped Jersey TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Oakland, CAMaison Martin Margiela Pale Pink top. Longer tunic length. Draped shoulder to back. Stretchy jersey hugs hips. Exaggerated sleeve length.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Tunics
- Maison Martin Margiela Sweater size LBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITCotton Pink color Suede patches Long sleeves Round neck Maximum length cm 62 (2440 inches)Category
2010s Italian Blousons
- Martin Margiela Bold Print Black T-ShirtBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in New York, NYMartin Margiela's bold print stencil on black cotton T-Shirt, originally on display at Canada's Design Museum, measures 34" underarm circumference, length on back measures 23". N...Category
20th Century French T-Shirts
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery