A/W 1993 Vivienne Westwood Queen Elizabeth I Corset
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 17 in (43.18 cm)Marked Size: 6 - 8 (US)Bust: 30.4 in (77.22 cm)Waist: 22 in (55.88 cm)
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. In very good vintage condition with light wear throughout.
- Seller Location:North Hollywood, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3084218807162
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: North Hollywood, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- S/S 2005 Comme des Garcons White Tank Top with Saddle Stitch DetailsBy Comme des GarçonsLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 2005 Comme des Garcons white tank top with saddle stitched details throughout. High v-neck oversized tank top with large keyhole cutout on side. Sam...Category
Early 2000s Japanese Shirts
- 2000's Romeo Gigli White and Gold ID Tank TopBy Romeo GigliLocated in North Hollywood, CA2000's Romeo Gigli ID tank top with sparkly "Gigli" across chest. White cotton round neck racerback tank top with gold-tone glitter and rhinestones throughout. Maroon mirror circle a...Category
Early 2000s Tank Tops
- A/W 2008 Prada by Miuccia Prada Black VestBy Miuccia Prada, PradaLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 2008 Prada by Miuccia Prada black mohair sleeveless vest. Fitted vest with open back and halter strap closure. Elastic back strap with silver tone...Category
Early 2000s Shirts
- 1987 Vivienne Westwood 'Harris Tweed' Collection CorsetBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in North Hollywood, CA1987 Vivienne Westwood Red Label 'Harris Tweed' Collection corset with shimmering silver bodice and stretchy yellow-cream fabric sides. Bone-in corset creates great structure. As see...Category
- S/S 1991 Vivienne Westwood White Satin CorsetBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1991 Vivienne Westwood white satin corset. Boned cotton corset with moderate stretch throughout sides and slight satin finish. Center back zip closure. In very good vintage condi...Category
- A/W 1988 Paco Rabanne Haute Couture Gold Chainmail Bustier GownBy Paco RabanneLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 1988 Paco Rabanne Haute Couture gown with floral chainmail bust and black and gold feather patterned velvet sleeves and full skirt. Features gold cube drop chain with black tasse...Category
- Hermes Navy Balles de Golf by C Vauzelles Silk ShirtBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRHermes navy silk shirt "Balles de Golf" by Christiane Vauzelles featuring a navy ground and a golf ball print all over in contrasting ecru, a front button fastening, a straight hem,...Category
1990s French Shirts
- Christian Dior Paris Pink Silver Metal TopBy Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, NLVintage Christian Dior Boutique top embroidered with silver metallic details. We offer more exclusive vintage items, view our frontstore. Details: Size is marked Fr 40 / US 8/ UK ...Category
20th Century Italian Tank Tops
- Issey Miyake color circle T-shirtLocated in Carnate, ITIssey Miyake t-shirt, size m, the composition label has faded but it should be a cotton blend as it is stretchy. the background color is white with green and orange circles. Iconic M...Category
21st Century and Contemporary T-Shirts
- AW20 Moschino Underwear Underbear Teddy Bear T-shirt by Jeremy Scott, Size SBy Jeremy Scott, MoschinoLocated in Palm Springs, CAAW20 Moschino Underwear Jeremy Scott Yellow Underbear Teddy Bear Cotton T-shirt Additional Information: Material: 94% Cotton, 6% EA Color: Yellow, White, Brown, Red Size: S / US XS ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary T-Shirts
- Aw20 Moschino Swim Red T-shirt with 3D Multicolor Logo by Jeremy Scott, Size SBy Jeremy Scott, MoschinoLocated in Palm Springs, CAAw20 Moschino Swim Jeremy Scott Red T-shirt with 3D Multi-color Logo Additional Information: Material: 100% Cotton Color: Red Size: S / US XS Pattern: Solid, Logo Dimensions: Should...Category
21st Century and Contemporary T-Shirts
- SS20 Moschino Underwear Underbear Teddy Bear T-shirt by Jeremy Scott, Size SBy Jeremy Scott, MoschinoLocated in Palm Springs, CASS20 Moschino Underwear Jeremy Scott Blue Underbear Teddy Bear Cotton T-shirt Additional Information: Material: 94% Cotton, 6% EA Color: Blue, Brown, Red Size: S / US XS Pattern: So...Category
21st Century and Contemporary T-Shirts
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Lotus Between the Finger Ring set in 18k White GoldBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Miami, FLRETAIL PRICE: $35,100.00 BRILLIANCE PRICE: $29,800.00 A symbol of beauty, purity and fulfillment, the lotus flower has inspired Van Cleef & Arpels to create dazzling and harmonious jewelry creations. Different types of diamond setting showcase the Maison's High Jewelry expertise. Designer: Van Cleef & Arpels Collection: Flora Style: Lotus Between The Finger Ring...Category
2010s French Modern Cocktail RingsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, White Gold
- Scalloped Walnut Bar CartLocated in Los Angeles, CABeautiful walnut wood bar cart newly made in Los Angeles. Rectangular cart with two tiers and carved wavy scalloped detail on shelf edges. Curved wood handles and 3 bottle compartmen...Category
2010s American Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
- A large silk square/head scarf, 'The Swarm Of Cherubs', Vivienne Westwood, 1980sBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Greyabbey, County DownFor this scarf design, Vivienne Westwood borrowed a detail from J.H. Fragonard's painting a 'Swarm of Cherubs' to create an ornate and Baroque head scarf. Designed in 1991, it is mad...Category
1990s British Scarves
- Le Bambole Leather Sofa Design Mario Bellini 1978 for B&B ItaliaBy Mario Bellini, B&B ItaliaLocated in Offenburg, Baden Wurthembergcognac leather Le Bambole-seater Sofa designed by Mario Bellini for B&B Italia in 1978. Price per sofa, second matching sofa available. The Bambole series today is a true icon amo...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Post-Modern SofasMaterials
- 18K Solid Gold Orchid Sculpture Artist Ring YBA Marc Quinn Artwork Wearable ArtBy Marc QuinnLocated in Surfside, FLMarc Quinn 18k Large Gold Orchid Ring Measurements: Ring size 7, ring top is 38mm x 37mm Hallmarked: MQ PE 750 Weight: 26 grams Quinn has used orchids repeatedly and thematically in his sculptures and these unique pieces are inspired by the artist's ongoing 'Flower sculptures' series. Like their inspiration, these works are described by Quinn as the most magical transformation of reality into art - rendered intimately for personal wear. Artist Marc Quinn known for his voluptuous hyper-real, super-bright flower and that famous golden statue of Kate Moss doing yoga has made a very limited edition of these yellow gold rings. He has made white bronze sculptures as well as white gold jewelry for Selfridges in London. Quinn has used orchids repeatedly as a motif in his work. Major artists such as Pablo Picasso, Alexander Calder, Salvador Dalí, Lucio Fontana and Roy Lichtenstein and Claude and Xavier Lalanne have sall made artists Art Jewelry. These unique pieces are inspired by the artist's ongoing 'Flower sculptures' series. These have been included in the Dine Venet collection as well as in the Louisa Guinness gallery collection. (She has commissioned works by Anish Kapoor, Claude Lalanne, Marc Quinn and Ron Arad). Quinn first came to public attention in the early 1990s through his affiliation with the Young British Artists (YBAs). Among his earliest and best-known works is Self (1991), a cast of his head made from ten pints of Quinn’s frozen blood, an amount equal to the volume in his body. In a 2013 interview, the artist said that the YBA movement had been about “bringing real life into art.” In both Self and Spiral of the Galaxy, Quinn’s urge is holistic and metaphysical, a desire to translate the substance of life into image. Young British Artists, or YBAs—also referred to as Brit artists and Britart—is a loose group of visual artists who first began to exhibit together in London in 1988. Many of the YBA artists graduated from the BA Fine Art course at Goldsmiths, in the late 1980s, whereas some from the group had trained at Royal College of Art. Leading artists of the group include Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin. The core of the YBA group graduated from the Goldsmiths BA Fine Art degree course in the classes of 1987–90. Liam Gillick, Fiona Rae, Steve Park and Sarah Lucas, were graduates in the class of 1987. Ian Davenport, Michael Landy, Gary Hume, Anya Gallaccio, Lala Meredith-Vula, Henry Bond, Angela Bulloch, were graduates in the class of 1988; Damien Hirst, Angus Fairhurst, Mat Collishaw, Simon Patterson, and Abigail Lane, were graduates from the class of 1989; whilst Gillian Wearing, and Sam Taylor-Wood, were graduates from the class of 1990, and Jason Martin was graduated with the class of 1993. During the years 1987–1990, the teaching staff on the Goldsmiths BA Fine Art included Jon Thompson, Richard Wentworth, Michael Craig-Martin, Ian Jeffrey, Helen Chadwick, Mark Wallinger, Judith Cowan and Glen Baxter...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Figurative SculpturesMaterials