Carlos Falchi Large Purple Signature Buffalo with Pylon, Lizard and Cobra Clutch
About the Item
In the 1960s, Falchi started by making leather clothing — bleaching snakeskin in his tub — for rock stars and jazz artists like Mick Jagger, Tina Turner and Miles Davis. But when he turned his attention to handbags, persuaded by Geraldine Stultz, the president of Henri Bendel, he found his true calling.
In a world flush with iconic “It” handbags, Falchi’s bags are distinctive and eye-catching, with soft, pliable forms, dazzling patchwork designs and dyed skins from exotic animals such as alligators, frogs, buffalo and water snakes. Even though he was a self-taught artisan, Falchi managed to reinvent the approach that yields the stiff, formal structure typically associated with the upright handbags of European luxury houses. His groundbreaking and oft-imitated Buffalo bag, an unconstructed and lightweight satchel made from a single skin with only two seams and a gathered front, went on to garner universal success for the craftsman, with Women’s Wear Daily deeming it “the most copied bag in the industry.” For his celebrated slouchy bag, Falchi was inspired by the draping techniques he learned while attending art school in Japan. In 1983, he won a Coty American Fashion Critics Award for the accessory.
Falchi made his clutches, shoulder bags and top-handled bags by hand in his New York City atelier, and the designer’s work garnered praise from fashion legends such as Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Barbra Streisand and Sarah Jessica Parker. In the years leading up to his death in 2015, Falchi began to sell inexpensive versions of his handbags on the Home Shopping Channel. A sampling of his work is held today in the permanent collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Find a range of vintage Carlos Falchi handbags and purses on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Myers Deep Lapis-Blue Soft Woven Lambskin Clutch with Optional Shoulder StrapsLocated in New York, NYMyers deep lapis-blue soft woven lambskin clutch with optional shoulder straps of lambskin as well is accented with 2 pom-poms on the exterior. Beside the large interior compartm...Category
1980s Italian Clutches
- Rare Carlos Falchi Multi-Skins Multi-Color Large Shoulder Bag & ClutchBy Carlos FalchiLocated in New York, NYThis wonderfully rare Carlos Falchi large shoulder bag with the option to wear use as a clutch is combined with multi-skins of snakeskin, lizard skin and pylon skins as well ...Category
1980s American Shoulder Bags
- Escada Forest Green Lizard Skin Shoulder Bag with Removable StrapsBy EscadaLocated in New York, NYEscada's wonderfully detailed forest green lizard skin flap-over shoulder bag is accented with removable shoulder straps for used as a clutch if desire. The shoulder straps...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Taupe Woven Lambskin "Flap-Over" Closure Front Optional Clutch or Shoulder BagLocated in New York, NYWonderfully butter soft, this taupe woven lambskin optional clutch or shoulder bag has a taupe lucite "ball" for the closing loop. Shoulder strap is nicely tucked inside the clu...Category
1980s Italian Clutches
- Phillip Lim Limited Edition Golden Tears Portrait Clutch and Shoulder BagBy 3.1 Phillip LimLocated in New York, NYPhillip Lim's "Limited Edition" wonderful whimsical optional clutch and shoulder bag is detailed with a clear front side displaying "Golden Tears...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- 1980s Rodo Lavender Purple Mint & Pistachio Plaid Straw Convertible ClutchBy RodoLocated in Gresham, ORA smart 1980s Rodo convertible shoulder strap / clutch handbag in an unusual plaid woven pattern of lavender, purple, mint green and pistachio! Gold-tone latch and chain shoulder str...Category
1980s American Clutches
- Vintage Bottega Veneta Purple Suede & Lizard Intrecciato Convertible Clutch BagBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Boca Raton, FLThe Bottega Veneta intrecciato weave has and will always be an iconic staple of leather and luxury. The less-is-more approach allows the design to speak for itself and ensures that it is both fashion-forward and functional. This rare Bottega Veneta hard shell clutch...Category
1980s Italian Shoulder Bags
- 1990s Gianfranco Ferre Logo Print Shoulder BagBy Gianfranco FerréLocated in London, GBBlack Gianfranco Ferre Logo Print Shoulder Crossbody bag, waterproof fabric, internal zipped pocket, 2 additional open compartments. The cross body strap is fully adjustable and in black leather Logo tag Measurements: approximately 11.5” wide and 8” high Condition: 1990s vintage like...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder BagsFree Shipping
- Louis Vuitton black shoulder bag pochetteBy Louis VuittonLocated in Capri, ITLouis Vuitton black shoulder bag pochette Marc Jacobs x Louis Vuitton black leather and suede both pochette or shoulder bag embellishe...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- 2000s Givenchy Burgundy Monogram Logo Print Leather BagBy GivenchyLocated in London, GBGivenchy burgundy leather bag, monogrammed logo print, brass tone zip closure, internal compartments, one zipped pocket, logo leather tag, leather...Category
1990s French Shoulder Bags
- Elegant Evening Bag or PochetteLocated in Milano, ITElegant fabric clutch bag with beaded decorations of fine Italian manufacture, belonging to the 1980s. The clutch is a handbag for theater or occasions very set and elegant above nor...Category
1980s Italian Clutches