Louis Vuitton x Jeff Koons Rubens "Masters" Clutch with Chain 66854
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Huntington Beach, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Chanel 2019 Egypt Paris-New York Scarab Minaudière Evening Clutch Bag 67377By ChanelLocated in Costa Mesa, CAStore item: 67377 Chanel 2019 Egypt Paris-New York Scarab Minaudière Evening Clutch Bag Egypt was the theme for Karl Lagerfeld's 2019 Métiers d'A...Category
- Chanel 2013 Fuchsia Black Tweed Lego Brick Minaudière Clutch Bag 67566By ChanelLocated in Costa Mesa, CAStore item: 67566 Chanel 2013 Fuchsia Black Tweed Lego Brick Minaudière Clutch Bag RHW Plexiglass From Lagerfeld's 2013 Fall/Winter runway, a collectible rare item with multicolored...Category
- Chanel 2016 Airlines Evening In The Air Trolley Minaudière Bag Gray Silver 67681By ChanelLocated in Costa Mesa, CAStore item: 67681 Chanel 2016 Airlines Evening In The Air Trolley Minaudière Clutch Bag Gray Silver From Lagerfeld's 2016 Spring Airlines collection, with black leather interior, working telescopic handle and stainless steel feet and wheels. In silver lambskin leather and plexiglass and silver hardware. Silver chain crossbody...Category
- Chanel 2016 Airlines Evening In The Air Trolley Minaudière Bag Black 67163By ChanelLocated in Costa Mesa, CAStore item: 67163 Chanel 2016 Airlines Evening In The Air Trolley Minaudière Clutch Bag Black Patent From Lagerfeld's 2016 Spring Airlines collection, with black leather interior, working telescopic handle and stainless steel feet and wheels. In Black patent leather and plexiglass and silver hardware. Silver chain crossbody...Category
- Chanel 2018 Limited Dripping Chains Crystal Logo O Case Clutch Bag 67178By ChanelLocated in Costa Mesa, CAStore item: 67178 Chanel 2018 Limited Dripping Chains Crystal Logo O Case Clutch Bag is a sleek clutch that is a perfect practical party bag. Studded long micro chains dangle like ...Category
- NIB Chanel 23C Monaco Slot Machine Casino Minaudière Evening Clutch Bag 67196By ChanelLocated in Costa Mesa, CAStore item: 67196 NIB Chanel 23C Monaco Slot Machine Casino Minaudière Evening Clutch Bag The most desirable and hard to find of the three minaudière clutch bags from 2023 cruise. I...Category
- Yves Saint Laurent Black Leather Y Line ClutchBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2A simple design highlighted by a gold-tone Y on the front. The Y line clutch by Saint Laurent is crafted from black leather and designed in a flap style. It has a spacious satin inte...Category
2010s Italian Clutches
- Opulent Mother of Pearl Crystal Encrusted Compact Evening Bag by Elgin c 1950sBy ElginLocated in University City, MOOpulent mother of pearl crystal encrusted evening bag- compact case designed by Eligin c 1950s The elegant evening purse - cosmetic case is designed with exotic mother of pearl tiles throughout the exterior The lid cover is encrusted with collection of aquamarine glittering crystals accented with a floral motif in the center. The interior is designed with a pair of rouge & face powder compartments. The gilt metal lid covers are adorned with art deco style leaping gazelles Paired with a brown cloth carrying case suspended from a hand strap The elegant case may be carried as a chic clutch style purse separately without the carrying case Designed by Eligin American Measurements: The length of the mother of pearl case...Category
1950s American Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Jimmy Choo Silver Glitter Clutch BagBy Jimmy ChooLocated in London, GBCONDITION is Very good. Minimal wear to clutch is evident. Minimal wear to interior lining where colour marks is evident. Minor pilling to edge of wristlet handle is visible on this ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Clutches
- LALIQUE Feather Embellished Silk Evening BagLocated in Paris, FRTag LALIQUE Height: 22.86 cm (9 in) Depth: 15.24 cm (6 in) Length: 13.97 cm (5.5 in) Silk/ Leather/ Feather Perfect condition Shipping worldwide with tracking numberCategory
Early 2000s Clutches
- Judith Leiber Black Pleated Leather Resin Bone Top ClutchBy Judith LeiberLocated in Philadelphia, PAJudith Leiber Black Pleated Leather Resin Bone Top Clutch in very good condition. Black soft lambskin exterior in unique crisscross pinch pleated design trimmed with gold hardware, b...Category
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.