LOUIS VUITTON Vintage Monogram Sac Shopping Bag
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- MCM Visetos Leather Shoulder Bag/ Luggage bag Beiges PVC Serial # P7357 MediumBy MCM MunchenLocated in New York, NYThis shoulder bag features a leather body, an exterior front slip pocket, a flat leather straps, a top zip closure, and an interior zip pocket. Visetos Leather Shoulder Bag Measureme...Category
2010s German Shoulder Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON Black Taurillon Leather Volta Bag/ Hand bag, Excellent conditionBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYPerfect for the a woman on-the-go, this gorgeous and newer creation from Louis Vuitton is perfect for the LV lover who also wants a functional everyday bag! The Volta is made from su...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Boston Bag Keepall Bandouliere 55 Damier Graphite MB 2150 FranceBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYCondition Pre-owned in excellent condition Only top handles are there Code # MB 2150 Louis Vuitton Keepall Bandouliere Style Name Keepall Bandouliere Department Women Style Weeke...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- GUCCI Padlock leather-trimmed printed coated-canvas tote, Medium Size, Mint CondBy GucciLocated in New York, NYBag is in Super excellent condition , just like new Gucci's tote is named for the polished hardware seen at the front, which resembles a traditional padlock. It's been made in Italy from logo-printed coated-canvas and has defining leather trims. There's enough space in the suede interior for all of your essentials, plus a tablet and notebook. Please Note: All Measurements Were Taken By Hand And Are Approximate; Slight Variations May Occur. This item’s measurements are: Handle Drop: 25cm / 9.8in Depth: 13cm / 5.1in Height: 22cm / 8.7in Width: 35cm / 13.8in Push clasp-fastening front flap PRODUCT DETAILS A structured shoulder bag in GG Supreme canvas with a strap that secures with a key lock closure pulled straight from the archives. The key is placed in a detachable leather key case...Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- Yves Saint Laurent Easy Y Metallic Gold Leather YSL Sac 57 Tote Bag, Brand NewBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYVES SAINT LAURENT YSL Mini Satchel Handbag Leather Gold 11.42x6.30x5.12in Very Light Weight bag Brand New with Tag of $ 1395 Easy Y tote bag features a leather body, rolled leather...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Gucci Emily GG Bronze Metallic Guccissima Leather double Chain Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in New York, NYBag is in Super excellent condition , just like brand new Bag is brand new , only tassels are missing Gucci Shoulder Bag Bronze & Metallic Patent Leather GG Signature Gold-Tone Ha...Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- New 2021 Limited Edition Louis vuitton Keepall Bandoulière 45 Bag Virgil AblohBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-ouen, FRThis superb Keepall Bandoulière 45 bag is all made in leather with a Damier checkerboard pattern in turquoise blue and white. Its leather top handles, side bands, and nametag are als...Category
2010s Luggage and Travel Bags
- Dior Saddle Carry On BagBy Christian DiorLocated in Scottsdale, AZAmazing Dior mens shoulder bag with a black leather saddle style closure! In a stunning muted army green color contrasting black leather and silver hardware. This bag is perfect for traveling, featuring a spacious center opening that zips, three pockets on the outside of the front, and a side pocket. The saddle buckles to the bottom to keep your belongings extra secure and to allow for easy accessibility. This bag is great for anyone looking for a a medium size bag...Category
2010s Italian Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- 1980s Burberry's Toweling Beach Duffle BagBy BurberryLocated in London, GBBuYellow Burberry Toweling Beach Duffle Bag features a front logo and blue rope handles, making it a perfect choice for your beach / pool day This eye-catching bag made of terry towe...Category
1980s English Bucket Bags and Drawstring Bags
- Chanel Silver Caviar Classic Travel XXL Flap Bag with RutheniumBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Silver Caviar Classic Travel XXL Flap Bag is in pristine condition. Most certainly the chicest way to travel, this extra-large Classic Flap will get you there ...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Moschino "Comical Female Relaxing" Shoulder BagBy MoschinoLocated in New York, NYMoschino Wonderfully whimsical "Comical Female Relaxing" with leopard accent shoulder bag is detailed with gold hardware throughout as well as the double gold hardware chain straps which measures 9 1/2" in height. The bottom of the bag in bold print are the words "LOVE MOSCHINO". The vinyl-finished cloth shoulder bag...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.