Gianni Versace 1991 Marilyn Monroe & James Dean Pop Art Bag
View Similar Items
Gianni Versace 1991 Marilyn Monroe & James Dean Pop Art Bag
About the Item
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- Gianni Versace Couture 1997 Absolut Vodka BagBy Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Scottsdale, AZCalling all Versace collectors! Circa 1997 for the Absolut Vodka campaign, this mini bag is crafted from white leather and features silver Medusa hardwar...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Chanel Lambskin Evening HandbagBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZWhen choosing your next bag, the answer is always vintage Chanel. This bag has all the classic hints of Chanel but different than anything you have seen before. Details include a kno...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Bottega Veneta Rainbow Gingham Circle Tassel BagBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour perfect little summer bag has arrived! Adorable 1980s plaid printed circular bag from designer Bottega Veneta! Printed all over in a rainbow gingham style plaid fabric with red ...Category
1980s Italian Novelty Bags
- Classic Flap Limited Edition Rabbit Fur Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis is the most fabulous Chanel you'll come across! This bag will pair great with all your streetwear looks! A 2000's dream to say the least. This ultra-rare Chanel shoulder bag made of rabbit fur and was released as limited edition. The rabbit fur is complimented with vibrant silver hardware, gray textile details, and nylon. The different textures of this bag makes it seem highly designed and luxe. There is a mark on the bottom of the bag on the nylon. Take a peek on the interior where you will see the "CHANEL" piping, canvas fabric, and the great condition with only a few marks on the flap. The interior is lined with canvas. Try pairing this bag with a Roberto Cavalli blouse, Gucci leather pants...Category
Early 2000s French Shoulder Bags
- Moschino Heart WristletBy MoschinoLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis heart shaped Moschino wristlet is going to have you head over heels in LOVE! A dark green leather with dark green stitching is complimented by gold 'Moschino' logo hardware on the strap. The top unzips to reveal a small opening ideal for securing some cash and your house key so you can go about your night wearing your bag as a bracelet! This bag is so cute and easy to carry around, you are never going to be able to get enough of it. Pair it with a red Versace dress...Category
1990s Italian Novelty Bags
- Hermes Birkin 35 Rouge H ClemenceBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes birkin 35 rouge H clemence with palladium hardware, partial plastic on hardware. Excellent condition, date stamp L. Comes with clochette, tirett...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags
- HERMES Mini Kelly Doll Red Burgundy Brown Leather Top Handle Satchel Tote BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2000 Collection Veau Gulliver Leather Palladium Hardware Leather Lining Measures 6.25" W x 4.5" H x 2.5" D Handle Drop 2" Includes Dust Bag and Box 1...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags$69,925Free Shipping
- Hermès Bolide 27 Epsom Rouge HBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAThis classic Hermès bag comes in the tone rouge h. It has two handles but you can also attached the woven strap which colors match perfectly the bag. Strap was...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Chic 1960s Wood Patchwork Novelty Egyptian Triangular Purse Vintage 60s Hand BagLocated in San Diego, CAChic 1960 wooden patchwork novelty bag of various shades on one side, and an Egyptian figure on the other side. Plastic covered handle. The perfect size th...Category
1960s Top Handle Bags$487 Sale Price25% Off
- Hermes Rose Indienne Doblis Rose Azalee Lizard Sterling Silver Lid Stromboli BagBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Limited Edition Hermes Stromboli bag. Rare Rose Indienne Doblis (suede) accentuated with Rose Azalee Lizard. Strap is held by Ste...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags